Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Muddic
July 19, 2018

There are words in my list where I ask if a more general use of it might apply. One reason to allow this is because there are some words that originate from only a list without any context. While words that do originate from context are limited to only that context. Which seems weird.

The problem with too many English definitions is that someone who translates English to Dovahzul without learning the reason behind the words will have a large chance of using the wrong word. Or if you consider the word not to be wrong, it will greatly increase the processing time the other person need to understand the message. My main usage of dovahzul is for realtime speech, so a less abstract language is prefered.

Meyz: Pure canon it does not mean 'come' from 'come here'. But 'come' fits nicely with little conflicts between become and come.

'Bo' over time this has gotten many definitions. The problem I have with it is that it has both the definitions 'go/arrive' and 'come/move'. So if you want to give a single word commands: Bo! Then it can mean anything from 'come(arrive) here' to 'go(move) away'. I would suggest removing the come definition and placing it with meyz.

Daar: In the current version is means both this and that. Why should this conflict with tol? I also see no reason why that should be include in the definition here.

Diin: meaning both freeze and frost. Why should this conflict with fo? I also see no reason why that should be include in the definition here.

Denek: meaning both soil and earth. if you go searching for synonyms, then earth might fit. But why expand the definition only to cause a conflict with gol?

Enook: Meaning each, every and all. Based on the context and definition I think this should not conflict with pah. And also expand the definition to the general each?

Fah: It has a note that says not to use to indicate the passage of time 'for many years'. Would it be wrong to also include this definition in the word?

Tol: if daar means both this and these. Then it would be logical if tol means both that and those.

Dreh: Meaning to do, doing, action. Tol los ok dreh. That is his doing/action. I would say that action is a bit of a stretch for dreh. Because then drehlaan comes close to meaning active, going even futher away from 'do'. In term of Dungeons and dragons. Zu'u sov aan dreh wah dreh tol. Sounds really weird.

Gol: Meaning earth, land, ground. Based on the 'usage' I agree it means earth and land. But I find it too much of a stretch to create a conflict with golt.

Golt: Meaning both ground and place. Place and space and synonyms, but ground and space are not. I do not think that ground and place are synonyms. Most of the time "place" is referred to as "a place". I have a place/space in my backpack for food.
Do you have a place where you store food (as in cabinet)?
Zu'u bo ko staadsebodzahhe. I go in camp (place of the tents).
Zu'u bo ko goltsebodzahhe. I go in (the) ground of the tents.

Govey: remove esp. by cutting; to cut off or cut out. Why is this limited to cutting? I think based on the canon source it can be used as remove in general.

Grik: defined as a specific such or so. Would it be wrong to make this refer to such in general?

Laat: Last, end, conclusion. From the canon source it is used as last. Why should this conflict with oblaan and dinok?

Laan: Mainly use for 'to request'. Would it hurt to add the 'desire' definition to this?

Lingrah: Meaning a long lasting time. It is missing gut at 'see also'. Would it hurt to add the general long definition to this?

Miiraad: Door, doorway, opening, path, option, opportunity. This is probably not referring to a path/road going through a village. Path has too many synonyms that are no where near the meaning of door.

Mindok: Now meaning think. This is a massive difference compared to the old definition. Can anyone share the history of this word?

Monah: mother, origin, creator. Creator might be a bit too much stretching of this term?

Naan: Meaning any and anyone. This word is used in many compound words. I do not think this definition should include one of the compounds. As found in Skyrim, the correct compound would be any-dragon, assuming that dragons think low of all other species.

Nahlaas: Meaning alive. I think living should be added as definition here. Making it effectively the same as nahl.
Dwiirok nol nahlaas ozinvey. Carved from living ivory.

Nau: Meaning on, upon and down upon. I think the compound of down upon is not required here. Is it a problem to add the general 'on' definition to this word?

Ney: Meaning both. Expand to more general use of both?

Nok: In the list of meanings it also means 'tell a falsehood'. Why should it conflict with 'Lo' in 'tell a falsehood'? I thought the song of dragonborn 'nok' meant a dead dragon that lies on the ground. My English might be failing me, but I think that "dragon's" should be "dragon" in the translation.

These were my findings till halfway the 'N'.

by Muddic
July 19, 2018

There are words in my list where I ask if a more general use of it might apply. One reason to allow this is because there are some words that originate from only a list without any context. While words that do originate from context are limited to only that context. Which seems weird.

The problem with too many English definitions is that someone who translates English to Dovahzul without learning the reason behind the words will have a large chance of using the wrong word. Or if you consider the word not to be wrong, it will greatly increase the processing time the other person need to understand the message. My main usage of dovahzul is for realtime speech, so a less abstract language is prefered.

Meyz: Pure canon it does not mean 'come' from 'come here'. But 'come' fits nicely with little conflicts between become and come.

'Bo' over time this has gotten many definitions. The problem I have with it is that it has both the definitions 'go/arrive' and 'come/move'. So if you want to give a single word commands: Bo! Then it can mean anything from 'come(arrive) here' to 'go(move) away'. I would suggest removing the come definition and placing it with meyz.

Daar: In the current version is means both this and that. Why should this conflict with tol? I also see no reason why that should be include in the definition here.

Diin: meaning both freeze and frost. Why should this conflict with fo? I also see no reason why that should be include in the definition here.

Denek: meaning both soil and earth. if you go searching for synonyms, then earth might fit. But why expand the definition only to cause a conflict with gol?

Enook: Meaning each, every and all. Based on the context and definition I think this should not conflict with pah. And also expand the definition to the general each?

Fah: It has a note that says not to use to indicate the passage of time 'for many years'. Would it be wrong to also include this definition in the word?

Tol: if daar means both this and these. Then it would be logical if tol means both that and those.

Dreh: Meaning to do, doing, action. Tol los ok dreh. That is his doing/action. I would say that action is a bit of a stretch for dreh. Because then drehlaan comes close to meaning active, going even futher away from 'do'. In term of Dungeons and dragons. Zu'u sov aan dreh wah dreh tol. Sounds really weird.

Gol: Meaning earth, land, ground. Based on the 'usage' I agree it means earth and land. But I find it too much of a stretch to create a conflict with golt.

Golt: Meaning both ground and place. Place and space and synonyms, but ground and space are not. I do not think that ground and place are synonyms. Most of the time "place" is referred to as "a place". I have a place/space in my backpack for food.
Do you have a place where you store food (as in cabinet)?
Zu'u bo ko staadsebodzahhe. I go in camp (place of the tents).
Zu'u bo ko goltsebodzahhe. I go in (the) ground of the tents.

Govey: remove esp. by cutting; to cut off or cut out. Why is this limited to cutting? I think based on the canon source it can be used as remove in general.

Grik: defined as a specific such or so. Would it be wrong to make this refer to such in general?

Laat: Last, end, conclusion. From the canon source it is used as last. Why should this conflict with oblaan and dinok?

Laan: Mainly use for 'to request'. Would it hurt to add the 'desire' definition to this?

Lingrah: Meaning a long lasting time. It is missing gut at 'see also'. Would it hurt to add the general long definition to this?

Miiraad: Door, doorway, opening, path, option, opportunity. This is probably not referring to a path/road going through a village. Path has too many synonyms that are no where near the meaning of door.

Mindok: Now meaning think. This is a massive difference compared to the old definition. Can anyone share the history of this word?

Monah: mother, origin, creator. Creator might be a bit too much stretching of this term?

Naan: Meaning any and anyone. This word is used in many compound words. I do not think this definition should include one of the compounds. As found in Skyrim, the correct compound would be any-dragon, assuming that dragons think low of all other species.

Nahlaas: Meaning alive. I think living should be added as definition here. Making it effectively the same as nahl.
Dwiirok nol nahlaas ozinvey. Carved from living ivory.

Nau: Meaning on, upon and down upon. I think the compound of down upon is not required here. Is it a problem to add the general 'on' definition to this word?

Ney: Meaning both. Expand to more general use of both?

Nok: In the list of meanings it also means 'tell a falsehood'. Why should it conflict with 'Lo' in 'tell a falsehood'? I thought the song of dragonborn 'nok' meant a dead dragon that lies on the ground. My English might be failing me, but I think that "dragon's" should be "dragon" in the translation.

These were my findings till halfway the 'N'.

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 19, 2018

Thanks for the extensive writeup, Muddic. Some of these will be easy to add without further discussion.

The dictionary attempts to be descriptive rather than presprictive, so the reason nok means both "to lie on the ground" and "to tell a falsehood" is simply because it is used that way in-game. On the other hand, the notes and connotations sections do an awful lot of prescribing so if you feel comfortable using words more generally, by all means go for it.

With the expanded definitions, connotations, notes, etc., I made an effort to describe words as their own independent entities detached of the English language. For example, on a surface level you could simply take monah to mean "mother," but Skyrim's dragons are sexless, immortal beings for whom monah probably means something with very different connotations than the English word "mother". But if you'd like to use monah exactly as you would use "mother", that's totally up to you. The additional notes and connotations are just a resource to help guide your usage of the language but not necessarily railroad it.

by paarthurnax
July 19, 2018

Thanks for the extensive writeup, Muddic. Some of these will be easy to add without further discussion.

The dictionary attempts to be descriptive rather than presprictive, so the reason nok means both "to lie on the ground" and "to tell a falsehood" is simply because it is used that way in-game. On the other hand, the notes and connotations sections do an awful lot of prescribing so if you feel comfortable using words more generally, by all means go for it.

With the expanded definitions, connotations, notes, etc., I made an effort to describe words as their own independent entities detached of the English language. For example, on a surface level you could simply take monah to mean "mother," but Skyrim's dragons are sexless, immortal beings for whom monah probably means something with very different connotations than the English word "mother". But if you'd like to use monah exactly as you would use "mother", that's totally up to you. The additional notes and connotations are just a resource to help guide your usage of the language but not necessarily railroad it.

Muddic
July 20, 2018

I never though of dragons as being sexless. In that case monah and bormah have a way higher meaning compared to how humans use it.

There is a difference between observing how the words are used, and how we as a community would like to see them used in a working language. The current version of the dictionary mainly focuses on describing what is observed. Keeping this in mind I will continu my list.

I do not fully understand the format of the words. Something it uses a comma, other times ';'. And I even found a few with brackets. The one with the brackets was clear what it meant.

Aak for instance:
guide; guidance
Does this mean guide and guidance. Or guide as in guidance?

Ahst:
prep. at, indicating state or condition (‘at peace’, ‘at bay’); at, towards; at, instrumental (‘at the hands of’)
Here the semicolon is used twice on a sinlge row. This definition even contains examples.

Nust: They, those. From what I understand of this it refers to creatures, not objects. At notes it says: "Not to be confused with the adjective daar ‘this/these/those’.". 'Daar' only translates to this and these. Those should not be in this list, but should be in the list of 'tol'.

Oblaan: meaning end, but also be killed and death. Do dragons think that dragons can be killed? And do they have 'dead dragon' in their vocabulary? As far as I know they think they are immortal. I think oblaan should not refer to killed or death.

Ofaal: meaning also earn. I think my english is failing me. Does earn always mean receive or can it also mean deserve?

Ont: I think 'already' should not be in this list.

Osos: "who tried to run from some goblins". Here 'a few' can be used as synonym. It has currently as definition "unspecified number". In the sentence "Who tried to run from hunderd goblins" you are likely to use 'many' over 'some'.

Paar: the expanded definitions seem to have a different meaning that just ambition. 'Desire' is closer to 'want'. I desire food, I want food, I ambition food? Its meaning is closer to 'strong desire to achieve'. Same argument goes for all other expanded definition.

Paaz: In the connotation is has some expanded definitions that I think are good to place in the expanded defintions, such as pleasant.

Pogaas: if the expanded definition is 'great in measure or degree', should 'lot' then be in the "see also"?

Qalos: I agree that the meaning may be closer to 'pressence' than 'physical touch'. I would vote for placing presence at the start of the list. Because the first word is normally used in a place like memrise. Causing people to learn this as an alternative word for haalvut.

Se: In our group we use 'se' as 'of the'. So we do not use it in places where the word 'the' will not fit.

Sik: meaning also 'written word', I think this refers to written runes? And not all books? Maybe more like carved words.

Sivaas: based on the usage I would vote for placing creature as first word. Beast sounds more like something you would use for monster-like-animals. Maybe even call it 'non-vicious creates'.

Sunvaar: maybe call it 'vicious creates'.

Slen: Flesh, body. In a list of 2 words it sort of makes both equally important. And the meaning of 'slen' is a lot closer to flesh than body. Not sure if 'body' can cause more confusion than it does good.

Sosaal: According to "official definition" it is 'blood'. From usage translation it is 'bleed'. From dovahzul usage without context it might mean 'to suffer' or 'be punished'. With context it probably can only mean bleed, as in flowing blood. On top of that if would conflict with 'aus'.

Suleyk: Yes strength is a synonym, but should it conflict with mulaag?

Tum: I think the word becomes easier to use if it only meant 'down'. Thus splitting 'tuum' and 'tum'. Because then votum becomes 'up' and not 'outside'.

Luv: why is 'to tear up' a definition of this word? In the notes it clearly says you need 'vaaz' for that.

Vaaz: To prevent confusion with luv, it might be better to place 'tear' at the end of the list. Because the first word is normally used in a place like memrise.

Ven: current refers to a flow. So that makes it a lot broader than just wind.

Veysun: Same problem as ven. Please make it seafaring vessel.

Vod: It might be me. But I would prefer only seeing 'ago' and 'the past' as definitions. All others seem to cause confusion.

Vokrii: if you have return as definition, also refer to daal somewhere.

Vokun, Vulon, Vulom, Vokul. These are difficult enough to separate. I think having them conflict with definitions makes the problem even bigger.

Vomindok: Etymology says mindok means 'to know'. But in this version 'mindok' means 'think', because it is not used anywhere in the game. So 'to know' is a semi-canon definition of mindok.

Vonun: "I am unseen" can mean I traveled here without being seen. "I am hidden" means I am unseen at this moment. So hidden is not a perfect synonym. Unseen is more the result of good hiding or bad perception.

Vosaraan: Haste does fit this word, but if you remove 'vo-' then you end up with slow instead of wait. So haste should only be mentioned once and at the end of the list.

wah: massive list just to say every general use of 'to'?

by Muddic
July 20, 2018

I never though of dragons as being sexless. In that case monah and bormah have a way higher meaning compared to how humans use it.

There is a difference between observing how the words are used, and how we as a community would like to see them used in a working language. The current version of the dictionary mainly focuses on describing what is observed. Keeping this in mind I will continu my list.

I do not fully understand the format of the words. Something it uses a comma, other times ';'. And I even found a few with brackets. The one with the brackets was clear what it meant.

Aak for instance:
guide; guidance
Does this mean guide and guidance. Or guide as in guidance?

Ahst:
prep. at, indicating state or condition (‘at peace’, ‘at bay’); at, towards; at, instrumental (‘at the hands of’)
Here the semicolon is used twice on a sinlge row. This definition even contains examples.

Nust: They, those. From what I understand of this it refers to creatures, not objects. At notes it says: "Not to be confused with the adjective daar ‘this/these/those’.". 'Daar' only translates to this and these. Those should not be in this list, but should be in the list of 'tol'.

Oblaan: meaning end, but also be killed and death. Do dragons think that dragons can be killed? And do they have 'dead dragon' in their vocabulary? As far as I know they think they are immortal. I think oblaan should not refer to killed or death.

Ofaal: meaning also earn. I think my english is failing me. Does earn always mean receive or can it also mean deserve?

Ont: I think 'already' should not be in this list.

Osos: "who tried to run from some goblins". Here 'a few' can be used as synonym. It has currently as definition "unspecified number". In the sentence "Who tried to run from hunderd goblins" you are likely to use 'many' over 'some'.

Paar: the expanded definitions seem to have a different meaning that just ambition. 'Desire' is closer to 'want'. I desire food, I want food, I ambition food? Its meaning is closer to 'strong desire to achieve'. Same argument goes for all other expanded definition.

Paaz: In the connotation is has some expanded definitions that I think are good to place in the expanded defintions, such as pleasant.

Pogaas: if the expanded definition is 'great in measure or degree', should 'lot' then be in the "see also"?

Qalos: I agree that the meaning may be closer to 'pressence' than 'physical touch'. I would vote for placing presence at the start of the list. Because the first word is normally used in a place like memrise. Causing people to learn this as an alternative word for haalvut.

Se: In our group we use 'se' as 'of the'. So we do not use it in places where the word 'the' will not fit.

Sik: meaning also 'written word', I think this refers to written runes? And not all books? Maybe more like carved words.

Sivaas: based on the usage I would vote for placing creature as first word. Beast sounds more like something you would use for monster-like-animals. Maybe even call it 'non-vicious creates'.

Sunvaar: maybe call it 'vicious creates'.

Slen: Flesh, body. In a list of 2 words it sort of makes both equally important. And the meaning of 'slen' is a lot closer to flesh than body. Not sure if 'body' can cause more confusion than it does good.

Sosaal: According to "official definition" it is 'blood'. From usage translation it is 'bleed'. From dovahzul usage without context it might mean 'to suffer' or 'be punished'. With context it probably can only mean bleed, as in flowing blood. On top of that if would conflict with 'aus'.

Suleyk: Yes strength is a synonym, but should it conflict with mulaag?

Tum: I think the word becomes easier to use if it only meant 'down'. Thus splitting 'tuum' and 'tum'. Because then votum becomes 'up' and not 'outside'.

Luv: why is 'to tear up' a definition of this word? In the notes it clearly says you need 'vaaz' for that.

Vaaz: To prevent confusion with luv, it might be better to place 'tear' at the end of the list. Because the first word is normally used in a place like memrise.

Ven: current refers to a flow. So that makes it a lot broader than just wind.

Veysun: Same problem as ven. Please make it seafaring vessel.

Vod: It might be me. But I would prefer only seeing 'ago' and 'the past' as definitions. All others seem to cause confusion.

Vokrii: if you have return as definition, also refer to daal somewhere.

Vokun, Vulon, Vulom, Vokul. These are difficult enough to separate. I think having them conflict with definitions makes the problem even bigger.

Vomindok: Etymology says mindok means 'to know'. But in this version 'mindok' means 'think', because it is not used anywhere in the game. So 'to know' is a semi-canon definition of mindok.

Vonun: "I am unseen" can mean I traveled here without being seen. "I am hidden" means I am unseen at this moment. So hidden is not a perfect synonym. Unseen is more the result of good hiding or bad perception.

Vosaraan: Haste does fit this word, but if you remove 'vo-' then you end up with slow instead of wait. So haste should only be mentioned once and at the end of the list.

wah: massive list just to say every general use of 'to'?

Frinmulaar
July 21, 2018
To address many of your points, especially your last one, I will say this: the dictionary is meant to treat draconic words as entirely separate from English words. If "wah" has a rare usage as "against", or "oblaan" a common metaphorical one as "death", then those usages will be explicitly included in the dictionary, whether the most direct English equivalents share them or not.
by Frinmulaar
July 21, 2018
To address many of your points, especially your last one, I will say this: the dictionary is meant to treat draconic words as entirely separate from English words. If "wah" has a rare usage as "against", or "oblaan" a common metaphorical one as "death", then those usages will be explicitly included in the dictionary, whether the most direct English equivalents share them or not.

Dra90nMasterOwl
July 26, 2018

This post has been deleted.

by Dra90nMasterOwl
July 26, 2018

This post has been deleted.

Ruvgein
July 26, 2018
Wrong place for this question, please bring it to the question board.

Click here

by Ruvgein
July 26, 2018
Wrong place for this question, please bring it to the question board.

Click here

Peyt vahdin
July 26, 2018
I noticed that there's no words for water or water-related nouns (lake, river, etc.)
by Peyt vahdin
July 26, 2018
I noticed that there's no words for water or water-related nouns (lake, river, etc.)

Ruvgein
July 26, 2018
@Peyt vahdin

This thread is for ADDING translations of PREEXISTING words, not asking for new words or new translations. Please take these questions to the question board or appropriate forum.
by Ruvgein
July 26, 2018
@Peyt vahdin

This thread is for ADDING translations of PREEXISTING words, not asking for new words or new translations. Please take these questions to the question board or appropriate forum.

laaniiksedov
July 27, 2018

so, i noticed that the word 'big' doesn't really have a translation. We could say [lot] lot means big. Since great comes from the same place as 'groß' does in german.

by laaniiksedov
July 27, 2018

so, i noticed that the word 'big' doesn't really have a translation. We could say [lot] lot means big. Since great comes from the same place as 'groß' does in german.

Dra90nMasterOwl
July 27, 2018
@Ruvgein ah, sorry, a little new to this. Thank you
by Dra90nMasterOwl
July 27, 2018
@Ruvgein ah, sorry, a little new to this. Thank you

DovahTNT
August 7, 2018
the word weclome plss i need the word pls

by DovahTNT
August 7, 2018
the word weclome plss i need the word pls

Liis
Administrator
August 7, 2018
@DovahTNT,

This thread is only for suggesting possible English translations for existing, canon dragon words. Please post to the Question Board or make a thread in the Dragon Language Discussion forum to ask for translations from English to dragon.
by Liis
August 7, 2018
@DovahTNT,

This thread is only for suggesting possible English translations for existing, canon dragon words. Please post to the Question Board or make a thread in the Dragon Language Discussion forum to ask for translations from English to dragon.

Felbah
August 13, 2018

Would the word Huzrah also mean "beware" since they are synonyms.

You could also use Wahlaan to describe art since creation is very similar to art.

Also the compound "siiv/alok - naar" which would mean growth since no word exists for it.  And finally sil could be similar to heart is some context since the soul and heart are used interchangebly in many points.

by Felbah
August 13, 2018

You could also use Wahlaan to describe art since creation is very similar to art.

Also the compound "siiv/alok - naar" which would mean growth since no word exists for it.  And finally sil could be similar to heart is some context since the soul and heart are used interchangebly in many points.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 13, 2018
Felbah

Sure, huzrah works as a close available translation for "beware" though the connotations are different. I can add that at least to the English-Dragon part of the dictionary.

Wahlaan is a very general word. You could use it to refer to art but you'd probably want a healthy amount of context around it; daar nus morokei wahlaan "this statue (is a) glorious creation".

Sil can work in some contexts to mean "heart", and I've used it that way myself. I can add it to the English-Dragon portion of the dictionary at least for search purposes. It does get tricky because Elder Scrolls souls are their own thing, dragon souls especially, so sil carries a lot of meaning that "heart" doesn't.

by paarthurnax
August 13, 2018
Felbah

Sure, huzrah works as a close available translation for "beware" though the connotations are different. I can add that at least to the English-Dragon part of the dictionary.

Wahlaan is a very general word. You could use it to refer to art but you'd probably want a healthy amount of context around it; daar nus morokei wahlaan "this statue (is a) glorious creation".

Sil can work in some contexts to mean "heart", and I've used it that way myself. I can add it to the English-Dragon portion of the dictionary at least for search purposes. It does get tricky because Elder Scrolls souls are their own thing, dragon souls especially, so sil carries a lot of meaning that "heart" doesn't.

Felbah
August 14, 2018
paarthurnax

The context in which i used Wahlaan is "fin kruziik bron wahlaan." "the ancient nord art." And I know about the importance of sil for the elder scrolls and the dovah, but again it is purely contextual whether sil means heart or soul, especially in a sentance where the word could be loosely interchanged.

by Felbah
August 14, 2018
paarthurnax

The context in which i used Wahlaan is "fin kruziik bron wahlaan." "the ancient nord art." And I know about the importance of sil for the elder scrolls and the dovah, but again it is purely contextual whether sil means heart or soul, especially in a sentance where the word could be loosely interchanged.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 > >>