Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Felbah
August 21, 2018

so I have found a word that is not in the dictionary which is growth, now the word that is a synonym for growth is gain which is in dovahzul siiv.

by Felbah
August 21, 2018

so I have found a word that is not in the dictionary which is growth, now the word that is a synonym for growth is gain which is in dovahzul siiv.

Ruvgein
August 21, 2018
Felbah

Siiv means "to find", "to gain".  Meaning you get something.

Growth means to change, to increase.  These words are not the same.

by Ruvgein
August 21, 2018
Felbah

Felbah
August 21, 2018
Ruvgein

gain can also mean an increase in something, such as "gaining speed" or an increase in speed, it also can be used to say a gain in profits which is a increase in profits, in other words gain can be used to state height which is a gain in height or a growth, so they are very much synonyms.

to link my source in which I check these things.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/gain

by Felbah
August 21, 2018
Ruvgein

gain can also mean an increase in something, such as "gaining speed" or an increase in speed, it also can be used to say a gain in profits which is a increase in profits, in other words gain can be used to state height which is a gain in height or a growth, so they are very much synonyms.

to link my source in which I check these things.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/gain

Ruvgein
August 21, 2018
Felbah

Gaining profits means you're getting money, growing profits means the amount you'll get back is higher.

There are two forms of increases, just like there are two forms of lying. 

French spilts these diffenences into different words, English does not.

Dovahzul is its own laguage.  It was not meant, and should never be, used as a word-for-word translation to English.

by Ruvgein
August 21, 2018
Felbah

Gaining profits means you're getting money, growing profits means the amount you'll get back is higher.

Dovahzul is its own laguage.  It was not meant, and should never be, used as a word-for-word translation to English.

Felbah
August 21, 2018
Ruvgein

True but the point of this thread was to find as many english words that "can" fit as a potential translation into dovahzul words as we can. Hence I am only offering suggestions.

If you have a translation to add to the English-Dragon dictionary, share below and we'll add it or discuss other alternatives. Suggestions can include:

Irregular verbs that don't show up in the Translator (e.g. "gone" or "went")
Close synonyms with existing vocabulary (e.g. "soldier" for kendov "warrior") <-----
Phrasal verbs (e.g. "give up" for gahvon)
English idioms that don't have dragon equivalents (e.g. "I'm going to ...", "What's up?" etc.)
Other phrases or words that would be best translated as something other than the word-by-word translation. <-------

We may move to a translation submission system at some point, but we'll be managing this through this thread for now. Share your ideas below!

the two highlights of what parth had said are highlighted with arrows which fit siiv(to gain) and growth being able to fit in our dovahzul dictionary.

by Felbah
August 21, 2018
Ruvgein

True but the point of this thread was to find as many english words that "can" fit as a potential translation into dovahzul words as we can. Hence I am only offering suggestions.

If you have a translation to add to the English-Dragon dictionary, share below and we'll add it or discuss other alternatives. Suggestions can include:

Irregular verbs that don't show up in the Translator (e.g. "gone" or "went")
Close synonyms with existing vocabulary (e.g. "soldier" for kendov "warrior") <-----
Phrasal verbs (e.g. "give up" for gahvon)
English idioms that don't have dragon equivalents (e.g. "I'm going to ...", "What's up?" etc.)
Other phrases or words that would be best translated as something other than the word-by-word translation. <-------

We may move to a translation submission system at some point, but we'll be managing this through this thread for now. Share your ideas below!

the two highlights of what parth had said are highlighted with arrows which fit siiv(to gain) and growth being able to fit in our dovahzul dictionary.

Ruvgein
August 21, 2018
Felbah

And suggestions are always well liked here.  I'll still have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.  In my own opinion I don't see them as the same, though I'm not in charge of what gets put in the translator.

by Ruvgein
August 21, 2018
Felbah

And suggestions are always well liked here.  I'll still have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.  In my own opinion I don't see them as the same, though I'm not in charge of what gets put in the translator.

Sssargon
August 27, 2018

i found a thing where "Flogah" translates to "fine" or "okay" in the sense of accepting an apology, or saying that your physical condition is well.

by Sssargon
August 27, 2018

i found a thing where "Flogah" translates to "fine" or "okay" in the sense of accepting an apology, or saying that your physical condition is well.

Liis
Administrator
August 27, 2018
@Sssargon,

"Flogah" is purely a fan-made word and is not official. The purpose of this thread is to find possible English translations to existing canon vocabulary.
by Liis
August 27, 2018
@Sssargon,

"Flogah" is purely a fan-made word and is not official. The purpose of this thread is to find possible English translations to existing canon vocabulary.

Vedsilronaaz
September 23, 2018

I'd like to be able to use "silver". I scanned the dictionary, and tried the translator, and was unable to find it. I don't feel qualified to make a word for it if needed, so any help here would be greatly appreciated

by Vedsilronaaz
September 23, 2018

I'd like to be able to use "silver". I scanned the dictionary, and tried the translator, and was unable to find it. I don't feel qualified to make a word for it if needed, so any help here would be greatly appreciated

Liis
Administrator
September 24, 2018
@Vedsilronaaz,

As my post right before yours contains: "The purpose of this thread is to find possible English translations to existing canon vocabulary."

This is not a thread for creating new vocabulary. Unfortunately there are going to be some words in English that the canon vocabulary will not be able to describe. I can't think of a way you could describe "silver" as in the metal with canon vocabulary, but for the colour, there is Sadon, "grey".
by Liis
September 24, 2018
@Vedsilronaaz,

As my post right before yours contains: "The purpose of this thread is to find possible English translations to existing canon vocabulary."

This is not a thread for creating new vocabulary. Unfortunately there are going to be some words in English that the canon vocabulary will not be able to describe. I can't think of a way you could describe "silver" as in the metal with canon vocabulary, but for the colour, there is Sadon, "grey".

Vedsilronaaz
September 24, 2018
Ok, thank you for the clarification!

by Vedsilronaaz
September 24, 2018
Ok, thank you for the clarification!

qahnaarin2
October 14, 2018
Drem yol lok, zeymahhe!
I was thinking that we need to have the words for ?south? and ?west?. I was thinking that in another language west is like ?where the sun goes down? maybe the word could be ?Shulmah? with Sun+fall. But for the south I am thinking but I don?t know just yet. Maybe this can help!
Lok, Thu’um!
by qahnaarin2
October 14, 2018
Drem yol lok, zeymahhe!

I was thinking that we need to have the words for ?south? and ?west?. I was thinking that in another language west is like ?where the sun goes down? maybe the word could be ?Shulmah? with Sun+fall. But for the south I am thinking but I don?t know just yet. Maybe this can help!

Lok, Thu’um!

Frinmulaar
October 14, 2018
qahnaarin2
I was thinking that in another language west is like ?where the sun goes down? maybe the word could be Shulmah with Sun+fall. But for the south I am thinking but I don?t know just yet. Maybe this can help! Lok, Thu’um!

Feel free to use shulmah in your own writings, and quoting myself from earlier:

"Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers. "

by Frinmulaar
October 14, 2018
qahnaarin2
I was thinking that in another language west is like ?where the sun goes down? maybe the word could be Shulmah with Sun+fall. But for the south I am thinking but I don?t know just yet. Maybe this can help! Lok, Thu’um!

Feel free to use shulmah in your own writings, and quoting myself from earlier:

"Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers. "

Sonaak Kroinlah
October 22, 2018

I'm wondering if "sahlo" meaning "weak" would be an acceptable translation for "tired" since that's what it looks and feels like.

by Sonaak Kroinlah
October 22, 2018

I'm wondering if "sahlo" meaning "weak" would be an acceptable translation for "tired" since that's what it looks and feels like.

JDLENL
October 26, 2018

One of the phrases Odahviing uses is "Rinik vazah", which he translates as "an apt phrase." Vazah isn't in the dictionary, but clearly it means phrase or sentence. "Vahzah" is, but it isn't a noun.

by JDLENL
October 26, 2018

One of the phrases Odahviing uses is "Rinik vazah", which he translates as "an apt phrase." Vazah isn't in the dictionary, but clearly it means phrase or sentence. "Vahzah" is, but it isn't a noun.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 > >>