Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Games of Dragons

<<  <  1  2 

Kendovahrol
November 20, 2015

game could also be translated as duel (for the sense of two player games) which is ziinkrif.

sacrifice- zahrahmiik

search- tovit

select- eylok nol pah 'sort from all'

shuffle- paagluf

spade- deytoniir

stand- kriist

strike- nos

style- vensedren 

by Kendovahrol
November 20, 2015

game could also be translated as duel (for the sense of two player games) which is ziinkrif.

sacrifice- zahrahmiik

search- tovit

select- eylok nol pah 'sort from all'

shuffle- paagluf

spade- deytoniir

stand- kriist

strike- nos

style- vensedren 

Shadowcaster
November 21, 2015
Kendovahrol

I honestly don't know how I missed the word "duel". It's been added to the list as its own term! Congrats Kendovahrol!

by Shadowcaster
November 21, 2015
Kendovahrol

I honestly don't know how I missed the word "duel". It's been added to the list as its own term! Congrats Kendovahrol!

Shadowcaster
November 29, 2015

To address a common misconception:

The primary concern I get from people who hear about this idea is that it is only for the "hard-core" gamers or that it would be too difficult to learn.

This I believe is just silly; on multiple levels.

The point of gaming in your selected language is to make it NOT difficult to learn the language. By starting with verb heavy short sentences such as "I draw a card" as they do the action the player(s) can associate the word with the action, watch and hear the opponent do the same and come to easily recognize it through repition. This right off the bat allows people to practice speaking and hearing the language.

This recognition leads to internalizing, which means the player no longer needs to think about the words to translate them. The timing of other phrases such as "I attack with this creature!" or "This card goes to the graveyard." also proves helpful because this creates variation not only with every game but with every turn. The player will have to think about what he is going to say next instead of learning entirely by rote.

Incidently, this also allows the player to progress at their own rate. As they internalize words and phrases, opportunities will arise for more words to be used. "What is the word for defense?" "How do you say 'life points'?" With time, the player might even start conversing with other gamers outside of gameplay, and that is the first step to gaining full fluency.

Learning a new language does not have to be difficult at all! There are multiple benefits: increased knowledge in your native language, a basis for expanding into more so-called 'mainstream' languages, experience with different pronunciation, to name but a few.

This thread is aimed primarily at gamers, however it is my sincere hope that one day it is used as a helpful training resource for beginning linguistic students. I would encourage anybody who wants to learn Dovahzul to give this method a try.

by Shadowcaster
November 29, 2015

To address a common misconception:

The primary concern I get from people who hear about this idea is that it is only for the "hard-core" gamers or that it would be too difficult to learn.

This I believe is just silly; on multiple levels.

The point of gaming in your selected language is to make it NOT difficult to learn the language. By starting with verb heavy short sentences such as "I draw a card" as they do the action the player(s) can associate the word with the action, watch and hear the opponent do the same and come to easily recognize it through repition. This right off the bat allows people to practice speaking and hearing the language.

This recognition leads to internalizing, which means the player no longer needs to think about the words to translate them. The timing of other phrases such as "I attack with this creature!" or "This card goes to the graveyard." also proves helpful because this creates variation not only with every game but with every turn. The player will have to think about what he is going to say next instead of learning entirely by rote.

Incidently, this also allows the player to progress at their own rate. As they internalize words and phrases, opportunities will arise for more words to be used. "What is the word for defense?" "How do you say 'life points'?" With time, the player might even start conversing with other gamers outside of gameplay, and that is the first step to gaining full fluency.

Learning a new language does not have to be difficult at all! There are multiple benefits: increased knowledge in your native language, a basis for expanding into more so-called 'mainstream' languages, experience with different pronunciation, to name but a few.

This thread is aimed primarily at gamers, however it is my sincere hope that one day it is used as a helpful training resource for beginning linguistic students. I would encourage anybody who wants to learn Dovahzul to give this method a try.

Kendovahrol
December 1, 2015

give- ofan

grave- graad (grave 'noun') or soziik (grave 'adjective')

good- pruzah or kul

heart- hil

high- lok

summon- bel

you should also add 'cast'(verb)- fusk

by Kendovahrol
December 1, 2015

give- ofan

good- pruzah or kul

heart- hil

high- lok

summon- bel

Shadowcaster
December 1, 2015
Kendovahrol

Cast is definiteley a good idea, however I cannot see the logic for the adjectival form of grave. Can you give an example of how it might be used in gameplay?

by Shadowcaster
December 1, 2015
Kendovahrol

Cast is definiteley a good idea, however I cannot see the logic for the adjectival form of grave. Can you give an example of how it might be used in gameplay?

Kendovahrol
December 4, 2015
Shadowcaster

i only put it for reference. i can't think of any way it could be used besides possibly in the name of a card which is irrelevant at this point

by Kendovahrol
December 4, 2015
Shadowcaster

i only put it for reference. i can't think of any way it could be used besides possibly in the name of a card which is irrelevant at this point

Shadowcaster
December 9, 2015
Kendovahrol

Ah ok. For now I don't think I will add the adjectival form to the list.

Changing speeds now, I have an announcement!

The application of the gaming idea was a great success recently. The game of choice was Magic the Gathering, four players. By the time we were done with the third game, the majority of the game was being played almost entirely in Dovahzul. A generalized listing of required entry level phrases has been semi-codified and brought together; next meeting should prove to show even more advancement!

Within the next week I will be adding the phrases to the end of the raw list. If anybody finds any errors, please post a reply!

by Shadowcaster
December 9, 2015
Kendovahrol

Ah ok. For now I don't think I will add the adjectival form to the list.

Changing speeds now, I have an announcement!

The application of the gaming idea was a great success recently. The game of choice was Magic the Gathering, four players. By the time we were done with the third game, the majority of the game was being played almost entirely in Dovahzul. A generalized listing of required entry level phrases has been semi-codified and brought together; next meeting should prove to show even more advancement!

Within the next week I will be adding the phrases to the end of the raw list. If anybody finds any errors, please post a reply!

Liis
Administrator
December 13, 2015

The word "Lost" does not mean "have" in the sense of "to possess". "Lost" simply encompasses all past tense forms of "Los," "is/are/am". The canon word "Piraak" means "to have/possess".

P.S.
"Paarthurnax" is typo'd as "Paarthunax" in the entire second post.

by Liis
December 13, 2015

The word "Lost" does not mean "have" in the sense of "to possess". "Lost" simply encompasses all past tense forms of "Los," "is/are/am". The canon word "Piraak" means "to have/possess".

P.S.
"Paarthurnax" is typo'd as "Paarthunax" in the entire second post.

Shadowcaster
December 14, 2015
Liis

Thanks for that heads up! I checked on what you said; you are correct! The list has been updated accordingly. 

(Also thanks for the typo heads up!)

by Shadowcaster
December 14, 2015
Liis

Thanks for that heads up! I checked on what you said; you are correct! The list has been updated accordingly. 

(Also thanks for the typo heads up!)

Shadowcaster
December 20, 2015

Merry Christmas everybody!

Unaz Lotsul!

by Shadowcaster
December 20, 2015

Merry Christmas everybody!

Unaz Lotsul!

Shadowcaster
January 2, 2016

Happy New Year!

I am happy to report that Gaming in Dragonspeak is progressing quite well. There are still bumps in the road - as is to be expected - but overall the players are coming along!

It is my hope that this serves as a stepping stone to more complete fluency.

by Shadowcaster
January 2, 2016

Happy New Year!

I am happy to report that Gaming in Dragonspeak is progressing quite well. There are still bumps in the road - as is to be expected - but overall the players are coming along!

It is my hope that this serves as a stepping stone to more complete fluency.

<<  <  1  2 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.