A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Common Speech

<<  <  1  2  3 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 22, 2013

I've been combing through in-game dialogue, and a phrase that Alduin uses a lot is: "My teeth to your neck!", as a sort of threat, or expression of hatred.  Translated, this would be "Dii raxxe wah hin hruus!"  

by paarthurnax
February 22, 2013

I've been combing through in-game dialogue, and a phrase that Alduin uses a lot is: "My teeth to your neck!", as a sort of threat, or expression of hatred.  Translated, this would be "Dii raxxe wah hin hruus!"  

RedCartographer
February 24, 2013

Yes I remember that one. That's a good one indeed ^^

by RedCartographer
February 24, 2013

Yes I remember that one. That's a good one indeed ^^

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 24, 2013

Here's another one: "Aal hin zahkrii fey kinzon", "May your sword stay sharp."  Alternatively, you could also say, "Aal hin zahkrii yen fey mul", "May your sword arm stay strong."

by paarthurnax
February 24, 2013

Here's another one: "Aal hin zahkrii fey kinzon", "May your sword stay sharp."  Alternatively, you could also say, "Aal hin zahkrii yen fey mul", "May your sword arm stay strong."

RedCartographer
February 25, 2013

That one is most excellent, here's one for you and hopefully I have it right I'm still a bit shaky with these translations. "Kos bahlaan do hin thu'um" kos bahlaan do hin thu'um

I hope that's right, and your new lesson hub is extremely useful and efficient. Thank you for that.

by RedCartographer
February 25, 2013

That one is most excellent, here's one for you and hopefully I have it right I'm still a bit shaky with these translations. "Kos bahlaan do hin thu'um" kos bahlaan do hin thu'um

I hope that's right, and your new lesson hub is extremely useful and efficient. Thank you for that.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 25, 2013
RedCartographer

"Be worthy of your Voice!"   A challenge of sorts?  Just a note, when you do the Dragon text, take what you want to say, plug it into the Alphabet Converter, and paste it into your post.  Right now it doesn't convert the letters automatically but I'm working on that.

by paarthurnax
February 25, 2013
RedCartographer

"Be worthy of your Voice!"   A challenge of sorts?  Just a note, when you do the Dragon text, take what you want to say, plug it into the Alphabet Converter, and paste it into your post.  Right now it doesn't convert the letters automatically but I'm working on that.

RedCartographer
February 25, 2013

Ah okay, I'll remember that. I'm glad I got that right. And yes a challenge, perhaps said by an elder dragon to a younger upstart or mortal that's sort of losing his way so to speak? 

by RedCartographer
February 25, 2013

Ah okay, I'll remember that. I'm glad I got that right. And yes a challenge, perhaps said by an elder dragon to a younger upstart or mortal that's sort of losing his way so to speak? 

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 25, 2013
RedCartographer

I like it, I'd shout it at Ulfric if I could.  Those who possess the Voice carry a tremendous power they should be worthy of.

by paarthurnax
February 25, 2013
RedCartographer

I like it, I'd shout it at Ulfric if I could.  Those who possess the Voice carry a tremendous power they should be worthy of.

RedCartographer
February 26, 2013

Likewise! I always take joy in cutting that fool down. Even though I agree that the nordic way is being lost in many respects that's not the way you go about it. And besides if you're dealing with the Empire you always get things signed in triplicate so to speak. What did he think would happen when he challenged Torygg and won? Of course the empire would claim he killed him, Ulfric didn't clear it with them first rofls.

by RedCartographer
February 26, 2013

Likewise! I always take joy in cutting that fool down. Even though I agree that the nordic way is being lost in many respects that's not the way you go about it. And besides if you're dealing with the Empire you always get things signed in triplicate so to speak. What did he think would happen when he challenged Torygg and won? Of course the empire would claim he killed him, Ulfric didn't clear it with them first rofls.

Charr
February 28, 2013

What about relation to family? Daughters, sons, mothers and fathers? Perhaps even uncles and aunts. I would be rather curious to see how Dragons behaved as a family, but more so as to how they refered to eachother.

by Charr
February 28, 2013

What about relation to family? Daughters, sons, mothers and fathers? Perhaps even uncles and aunts. I would be rather curious to see how Dragons behaved as a family, but more so as to how they refered to eachother.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 28, 2013
Charr

Father - Bormah
Mother - Monah
Son - Kul
Daughter - Mon
Brother - Zeymah
Sister - Briinah

No words for aunt or uncle yet.  This is largely for the Dragon Language as spoken by the Ancient Nords. Since Dragons don't have families (they aren't born, they've always existed), they would likely see each other as brothers, all creations of Akatosh.

by paarthurnax
February 28, 2013
Charr

Father - Bormah
Mother - Monah
Son - Kul
Daughter - Mon
Brother - Zeymah
Sister - Briinah

No words for aunt or uncle yet.  This is largely for the Dragon Language as spoken by the Ancient Nords. Since Dragons don't have families (they aren't born, they've always existed), they would likely see each other as brothers, all creations of Akatosh.

RedCartographer
March 2, 2013

Indeed though they should have others they consider very close. It is food for thought. There is already "Mu los do gein Thu'um" mentioned here which was thought to refer to a deep alliance, or a concencus in thought. But perhaps a more personal one could be thought of?

by RedCartographer
March 2, 2013

Indeed though they should have others they consider very close. It is food for thought. There is already "Mu los do gein Thu'um" mentioned here which was thought to refer to a deep alliance, or a concencus in thought. But perhaps a more personal one could be thought of?

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 2, 2013
RedCartographer

Perhaps "Silzeymah", "Soul-Brother"?  The root of a Dragon's power is their soul.  We see in Skyrim several instances where either a Greybeard or a Dragon shares their power as if you were absorbing their soul.  Two Dragons/individuals could do this so much that they might begin to refer to each other as "Silzeymah" / "Silbriinah".

by paarthurnax
March 2, 2013
RedCartographer

Perhaps "Silzeymah", "Soul-Brother"?  The root of a Dragon's power is their soul.  We see in Skyrim several instances where either a Greybeard or a Dragon shares their power as if you were absorbing their soul.  Two Dragons/individuals could do this so much that they might begin to refer to each other as "Silzeymah" / "Silbriinah".

RedCartographer
March 4, 2013

That's a good one and I think it encompasses that idea very well. I'm still trying to think of other ideas in my head, but it's getting close to finals week so I'm rather occupied hehe.

by RedCartographer
March 4, 2013

That's a good one and I think it encompasses that idea very well. I'm still trying to think of other ideas in my head, but it's getting close to finals week so I'm rather occupied hehe.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 27, 2013

Some additional phrases I've thought of:

• "Vahzen!": Equivalent to German's "Genau!", means "Definitely!", "Certainly!".  Meant to be used more when someone says something that is true or that you agree with.
  • "Rah wahlaan": This is canonical, could possibly be used to mean "By the gods!"/"By the Divines!".
  • "Los nii ful?": Literally "Is that so?" Either a question looking for clarification, or a rhetorical remark to something interesting.
  • "Saagaan tol... / Kriinaan tol...": "It is said that... / It is written that...", a phrase to preface an idea or fact.
  • "Mindokaan tol...": "It is known that...", a more direct and authoritative version of the above.

Along with some idioms, if we come up with some, I'll probably collect these and make a lesson of just more common phrases / idioms.

by paarthurnax
March 27, 2013

Some additional phrases I've thought of:

• "Vahzen!": Equivalent to German's "Genau!", means "Definitely!", "Certainly!".  Meant to be used more when someone says something that is true or that you agree with.
  • "Rah wahlaan": This is canonical, could possibly be used to mean "By the gods!"/"By the Divines!".
  • "Los nii ful?": Literally "Is that so?" Either a question looking for clarification, or a rhetorical remark to something interesting.
  • "Saagaan tol... / Kriinaan tol...": "It is said that... / It is written that...", a phrase to preface an idea or fact.
  • "Mindokaan tol...": "It is known that...", a more direct and authoritative version of the above.

Along with some idioms, if we come up with some, I'll probably collect these and make a lesson of just more common phrases / idioms.

RedCartographer
March 28, 2013

Great ^^ These are all very useful as well to people who aren't as skilled at putting together phrases so they will have access to these things. And also far less weighty than the ones that come to my mind. That's the writer and rper in me I guess.

by RedCartographer
March 28, 2013

Great ^^ These are all very useful as well to people who aren't as skilled at putting together phrases so they will have access to these things. And also far less weighty than the ones that come to my mind. That's the writer and rper in me I guess.

<<  <  1  2  3 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.