Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Ruvgein's Writers Nook

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

Hail Thuri
August 6, 2017
I said Stephan instead of Stepgen. To make it clear, I am using the name Stepgen.
by Hail Thuri
August 6, 2017
I said Stephan instead of Stepgen. To make it clear, I am using the name Stepgen.

Ruvgein
August 6, 2017
Oh, so physical publishing? Have you looked into the legality around using Bethesda property for monetary gain?
by Ruvgein
August 6, 2017
Oh, so physical publishing? Have you looked into the legality around using Bethesda property for monetary gain?

Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
I do not think that this site is owned by Bethesda. It was Paarthurnax's idea to make a site that revolves around the language in the game owned by Bethesda and add a forums section where we can talk about anything. If using a messaging app on my phone, I talked about book ideas (which I did), would I have to give the people who gave inspiration for said app (which would probably be a phone company) credit? Or would there be any penalties for discussing the book on a website with a clear area for posting off topic posts? I would think not. But I am not a student of law so I can not say for sure.
by Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
I do not think that this site is owned by Bethesda. It was Paarthurnax's idea to make a site that revolves around the language in the game owned by Bethesda and add a forums section where we can talk about anything. If using a messaging app on my phone, I talked about book ideas (which I did), would I have to give the people who gave inspiration for said app (which would probably be a phone company) credit? Or would there be any penalties for discussing the book on a website with a clear area for posting off topic posts? I would think not. But I am not a student of law so I can not say for sure.

Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
Sorry for posting so late but I thought you didn't have a response at all (didn't see there was a second page).
by Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
Sorry for posting so late but I thought you didn't have a response at all (didn't see there was a second page).

Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
This has nothing to do with what we were talking about before, but I would like some feedback on the prologue (I only made a prologue just in case it was horrible). I am told my writing is good, but I want the hard truth. Speak to me like a publisher and be cruel. I cannot add the Google docs link so I will post the prologue here.
by Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
This has nothing to do with what we were talking about before, but I would like some feedback on the prologue (I only made a prologue just in case it was horrible). I am told my writing is good, but I want the hard truth. Speak to me like a publisher and be cruel. I cannot add the Google docs link so I will post the prologue here.

Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
I woke up to a hungry giant. And I was on the menu. When did my life go so wrong? Oh yeah! When I agreed to kill a king. How could I forget that? Well. Probably because a hungry giant is breathing in my face. Let us start from the relevant beginning to this story.

I woke up, this time to my hound barking her head off. I threw on my leather armor and put my sword belt around my waist. I whistled. "Come, Cora." She got up, wagging her shaggy tail. I walked out of our home in the village of Wyrmhill. Where a dragon was supposedly buried. I say it's horse dung. Correction. I said it was horse dung. More on that later. I went to the market and leaned against a post, watching the transactions while Cora laid and wagged her tail. Don't let that fool you. Cora's a killer. She was a hunter's dog but he died so she was used as a guard dog for Fort Blackthorne. And we all know what happened at Blackthorne. I found her in the woods when I was hunting a forest troll for an elf. I leaned on that post for a good six minutes before a finely dressed dwarf walked up to me.
I raised an eyebrow. "Are you Arthur?" He asked. I looked into his eyes. My ice blue eyes clearly unsettled him. He was the opposite of me, with brown hair and hazel eyes while I was blonde and blue-eyed. "Yes. Are you just here to stare or do you have a job for me?" He was sweating, I noticed. "Umm. Yes. Sir. Well, no. But yes." he said. I was disappointed. "Then what is it? Yes or no?" I responded. "Ummm. So. Yes. I don't exactly know it. I am just a messenger. My, ummm, my Master, Breggan. He knows. Right this way, sir." He started to lead me towards a space in between two houses. Cora growled. She smelled someone. It was a perfect spot for an ambush. So naturally, I followed him.
by Hail Thuri
August 8, 2017
I woke up to a hungry giant. And I was on the menu. When did my life go so wrong? Oh yeah! When I agreed to kill a king. How could I forget that? Well. Probably because a hungry giant is breathing in my face. Let us start from the relevant beginning to this story.

I woke up, this time to my hound barking her head off. I threw on my leather armor and put my sword belt around my waist. I whistled. "Come, Cora." She got up, wagging her shaggy tail. I walked out of our home in the village of Wyrmhill. Where a dragon was supposedly buried. I say it's horse dung. Correction. I said it was horse dung. More on that later. I went to the market and leaned against a post, watching the transactions while Cora laid and wagged her tail. Don't let that fool you. Cora's a killer. She was a hunter's dog but he died so she was used as a guard dog for Fort Blackthorne. And we all know what happened at Blackthorne. I found her in the woods when I was hunting a forest troll for an elf. I leaned on that post for a good six minutes before a finely dressed dwarf walked up to me.

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you Arthur?" He asked. I looked into his eyes. My ice blue eyes clearly unsettled him. He was the opposite of me, with brown hair and hazel eyes while I was blonde and blue-eyed. "Yes. Are you just here to stare or do you have a job for me?" He was sweating, I noticed. "Umm. Yes. Sir. Well, no. But yes." he said. I was disappointed. "Then what is it? Yes or no?" I responded. "Ummm. So. Yes. I don't exactly know it. I am just a messenger. My, ummm, my Master, Breggan. He knows. Right this way, sir." He started to lead me towards a space in between two houses. Cora growled. She smelled someone. It was a perfect spot for an ambush. So naturally, I followed him.

Malsahqogein
August 8, 2017
Ruvgein
@Malsahqogein So you want to make an Argonian look really big and bulky? Yeah, that can work. Otherwise, what exactly are you asking?

I haven't yet figured out the storyline, or why he looks different than other Argonians(I chose them because they look closer to Elites than the other races), and that's pretty much what I need help with right now. Of course, the storyline could be made more intricate and complex, and I also would need help with that. 

by Malsahqogein
August 8, 2017
Ruvgein
@Malsahqogein So you want to make an Argonian look really big and bulky? Yeah, that can work. Otherwise, what exactly are you asking?

I haven't yet figured out the storyline, or why he looks different than other Argonians(I chose them because they look closer to Elites than the other races), and that's pretty much what I need help with right now. Of course, the storyline could be made more intricate and complex, and I also would need help with that. 

Ruvgein
August 8, 2017
@Keinthurah

I was mistaken, than. I thought you were using Dovahzul in your book.
I'll look at the book a bit later, but please edit previous posts, posting too many times in a row causes spam.

@Malsahqogein

They get their appearance from Hist Trees, which are basically magical and intelligent. So if the Hist wants him looking that way, he will. I'd point you to look up lore around this topic, I could give you links to get started, as well.
by Ruvgein
August 8, 2017
@Keinthurah

I was mistaken, than. I thought you were using Dovahzul in your book.

I'll look at the book a bit later, but please edit previous posts, posting too many times in a row causes spam.

@Malsahqogein

They get their appearance from Hist Trees, which are basically magical and intelligent. So if the Hist wants him looking that way, he will. I'd point you to look up lore around this topic, I could give you links to get started, as well.

Malsahqogein
August 9, 2017
Ruvgein
@Keinthurah I was mistaken, than. I thought you were using Dovahzul in your book. I'll look at the book a bit later, but please edit previous posts, posting too many times in a row causes spam. @Malsahqogein They get their appearance from Hist Trees, which are basically magical and intelligent. So if the Hist wants him looking that way, he will. I'd point you to look up lore around this topic, I could give you links to get started, as well.

That would be great. Thanks for the help so far.

by Malsahqogein
August 9, 2017
Ruvgein
@Keinthurah I was mistaken, than. I thought you were using Dovahzul in your book. I'll look at the book a bit later, but please edit previous posts, posting too many times in a row causes spam. @Malsahqogein They get their appearance from Hist Trees, which are basically magical and intelligent. So if the Hist wants him looking that way, he will. I'd point you to look up lore around this topic, I could give you links to get started, as well.

That would be great. Thanks for the help so far.

Ruvgein
August 9, 2017

The UESP page on Argonians:  link

teslore reddit question: Link   on this one I linked you to a question, but also click the search box and type 'Argonian' you'll find all sorts of info.

by Ruvgein
August 9, 2017

The UESP page on Argonians:  link

teslore reddit question: Link   on this one I linked you to a question, but also click the search box and type 'Argonian' you'll find all sorts of info.

Sildolok
August 21, 2017

Hey, I'm into writing novellas and I've started writing about a Khajiit's adventures. I just have a question about their religious practices.

I know that Khajiit worship the moons, however do they worship gods? After reading "Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi" it is shown there that they have their own versions of gods. Just some clarification is all that is needed.

by Sildolok
August 21, 2017

Hey, I'm into writing novellas and I've started writing about a Khajiit's adventures. I just have a question about their religious practices.

I know that Khajiit worship the moons, however do they worship gods? After reading "Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi" it is shown there that they have their own versions of gods. Just some clarification is all that is needed.

Ruvgein
August 21, 2017

@Sildolok I'm linking you a book because it explains things better then I could: https://www.imperial-library.info/content/varieties-faith-empire That book should prove helpful and give you more then you need. For any follow up lore questions, please PM me.

by Ruvgein
August 21, 2017

@Sildolok I'm linking you a book because it explains things better then I could: https://www.imperial-library.info/content/varieties-faith-empire That book should prove helpful and give you more then you need. For any follow up lore questions, please PM me.

Sildolok
August 22, 2017
Ruvgein

Thanks a bunch!

by Sildolok
August 22, 2017
Ruvgein

Thanks a bunch!

Ruvgein
September 5, 2017
Keinthurah
I woke up to a hungry giant. And I was on the menu. When did my life go so wrong? Oh yeah! When I agreed to kill a king. How could I forget that? Well. Probably because a hungry giant is breathing in my face.
Let us start from the relevant beginning to this story.
I woke up, this time to my hound barking her head off. I threw on my leather armor and put my sword belt around my waist. I whistled. "Come, Cora." She got up, wagging her shaggy tail. I walked out of our home in the village of Wyrmhill. Where a dragon was supposedly buried. I say it's horse dung. Correction. I said it was horse dung. More on that later. I went to the market and leaned against a post, watching the transactions while Cora laid and wagged her tail. Don't let that fool you. Cora's a killer. She was a hunter's dog but he died so she was used as a guard dog for Fort Blackthorne. And we all know what happened at Blackthorne. I found her in the woods when I was hunting a forest troll for an elf. I leaned on that post for a good six minutes before a finely dressed dwarf walked up to me. I raised an eyebrow.
"Are you Arthur?" He asked. I looked into his eyes. My ice blue eyes clearly unsettled him. He was the opposite of me, with brown hair and hazel eyes while I was blonde and blue-eyed.
"Yes. Are you just here to stare or do you have a job for me?" He was sweating, I noticed.
"Umm. Yes. Sir. Well, no. But yes." he said. I was disappointed.
"Then what is it? Yes or no?" I responded.
"Ummm. So. Yes. I don't exactly know it. I am just a messenger. My, ummm, my Master, Breggan. He knows. Right this way, sir." He started to lead me towards a space in between two houses. Cora growled. She smelled someone. It was a perfect spot for an ambush. So naturally, I followed him.

Hello!  I gave it a read.  As you can see I broke it up a bit, in case you don't have it like this already.

Note on below: "me" means "the reader"

What it needs is to slow down, it reads like it's fast paced.  Where is the descriptions?  What does Wyrmhill look like?  What is the character thinking?  One imporant fact about writing in first person is that you need to show what going on inside their head.  You have plot points without a world to be in.  Why do I care that a dragon was buried here?  The answer is you need to make me care.  You keep addressing the future, the problem is I don't care about the future, I care about what little is in front of me.  Show the kids playing in the street, show the happy shopkeep, show me why I should want to know more.  Show this town, show me what it looks like, because right now I don't know.  Show me and then say "at the time I thought it was fake"  and now it's like, wait, what happens?  Does it come back to life?  Do wizards go after it's bones? Oh, please don't kill the poor people who live there!

And that should be enough for now, I hope it helps you in some way.

by Ruvgein
September 5, 2017
Keinthurah
I woke up to a hungry giant. And I was on the menu. When did my life go so wrong? Oh yeah! When I agreed to kill a king. How could I forget that? Well. Probably because a hungry giant is breathing in my face.
Let us start from the relevant beginning to this story.
I woke up, this time to my hound barking her head off. I threw on my leather armor and put my sword belt around my waist. I whistled. "Come, Cora." She got up, wagging her shaggy tail. I walked out of our home in the village of Wyrmhill. Where a dragon was supposedly buried. I say it's horse dung. Correction. I said it was horse dung. More on that later. I went to the market and leaned against a post, watching the transactions while Cora laid and wagged her tail. Don't let that fool you. Cora's a killer. She was a hunter's dog but he died so she was used as a guard dog for Fort Blackthorne. And we all know what happened at Blackthorne. I found her in the woods when I was hunting a forest troll for an elf. I leaned on that post for a good six minutes before a finely dressed dwarf walked up to me. I raised an eyebrow.
"Are you Arthur?" He asked. I looked into his eyes. My ice blue eyes clearly unsettled him. He was the opposite of me, with brown hair and hazel eyes while I was blonde and blue-eyed.
"Yes. Are you just here to stare or do you have a job for me?" He was sweating, I noticed.
"Umm. Yes. Sir. Well, no. But yes." he said. I was disappointed.
"Then what is it? Yes or no?" I responded.
"Ummm. So. Yes. I don't exactly know it. I am just a messenger. My, ummm, my Master, Breggan. He knows. Right this way, sir." He started to lead me towards a space in between two houses. Cora growled. She smelled someone. It was a perfect spot for an ambush. So naturally, I followed him.

Hello!  I gave it a read.  As you can see I broke it up a bit, in case you don't have it like this already.

Note on below: "me" means "the reader"

What it needs is to slow down, it reads like it's fast paced.  Where is the descriptions?  What does Wyrmhill look like?  What is the character thinking?  One imporant fact about writing in first person is that you need to show what going on inside their head.  You have plot points without a world to be in.  Why do I care that a dragon was buried here?  The answer is you need to make me care.  You keep addressing the future, the problem is I don't care about the future, I care about what little is in front of me.  Show the kids playing in the street, show the happy shopkeep, show me why I should want to know more.  Show this town, show me what it looks like, because right now I don't know.  Show me and then say "at the time I thought it was fake"  and now it's like, wait, what happens?  Does it come back to life?  Do wizards go after it's bones? Oh, please don't kill the poor people who live there!

And that should be enough for now, I hope it helps you in some way.

Hahdremro
September 11, 2017

I have a concept I've been sitting on for a couple years now. I posted about it in a thread on here well over a year ago, but I haven't really sat down to flesh out the idea any further yet, and I would like more feedback so I can try to make some interesting stories in this original universe. 

I have an idea about a world in which a multitude of mythologies from throughout history have suddenly popped into existence, through a series of cataclysmic interdimensional mergings known as Awakenings. Pantheons from around the world are now tangible, and they are immensely powerful. Japanese kami, Norse gods, and even the heroes of Greek and Roman legends have been forcibly brought into our plane of existence.

With these malevolent, supernatural entities wreaking havoc across the globe, a world government rose to power to fight the hordes of Myths, Gods, and Spirits, creating specialized task forces known as Watchmen (or Watchers) to hunt down the unnatural menace. A Great War ravages entire countries. The previous world order crumbles in a matter of months. Without the protection of the shadowy organization of Watchers, humanity was surely bound to perish. Yet our resilience held out, and we conquered the multitudes of Heavens and Hells, harnessing their raw and mysterious Spirit energy with fantastic machines and newly-discovered arcane rituals.

Years later, the world government (now known as The Overseers or The Protectors) has taken control over a vast portion of the world and is keeping the population in submission through subtle manipulation and constant promises of protection against the now-defeated Spirits. An Orwellian government is subduing any attempts to rebel, and even those Spirits which were peaceful and good are all but extinct.

A rebel movement of Spirit sympathizers scattered across the globe are secretly housing a few remaining Spirits in their homes, in an elaborate Underground Railroad. But the Watchmen are still in power, and they are on constant vigil for even the slightest sign of Spirit activity. Raids of private property are commonplace, and there are Reeducation Camps designed to brainwash uncooperative civilians in most major cities.

With humanity being controlled by the brutal Overseers, the few Spirits left are forced to hide in the homes of the kind humans who are part of the Underground Railroad. Underground bunkers are sometimes built to house these Spirits, but more often than not, they are captured by Watchmen raids and taken away, still "alive," to an unknown location. Even most of the Watchman officers don't know what happens to these Spirits, but they know it's unpleasant. With doubters among their ranks, some Watchmen are sympathetic to the cause of the Underground Railroad. These dissenters are swiftly rooted out and quietly executed.

I have plenty of issues to iron out, such as the sociopolitical and economic situations that allowed for the rise of a single unified government, but I feel like there's potential for plenty of interesting stories to tell in this universe. I've discussed my ideas briefly with a couple of published authors who specialize in worldbuilding, and they've given me some additional resources to flesh it out a bit more, but I'd like more feedback before I put more effort into this. What do you guys think?

by Hahdremro
September 11, 2017

I have a concept I've been sitting on for a couple years now. I posted about it in a thread on here well over a year ago, but I haven't really sat down to flesh out the idea any further yet, and I would like more feedback so I can try to make some interesting stories in this original universe. 

I have an idea about a world in which a multitude of mythologies from throughout history have suddenly popped into existence, through a series of cataclysmic interdimensional mergings known as Awakenings. Pantheons from around the world are now tangible, and they are immensely powerful. Japanese kami, Norse gods, and even the heroes of Greek and Roman legends have been forcibly brought into our plane of existence.

With these malevolent, supernatural entities wreaking havoc across the globe, a world government rose to power to fight the hordes of Myths, Gods, and Spirits, creating specialized task forces known as Watchmen (or Watchers) to hunt down the unnatural menace. A Great War ravages entire countries. The previous world order crumbles in a matter of months. Without the protection of the shadowy organization of Watchers, humanity was surely bound to perish. Yet our resilience held out, and we conquered the multitudes of Heavens and Hells, harnessing their raw and mysterious Spirit energy with fantastic machines and newly-discovered arcane rituals.

Years later, the world government (now known as The Overseers or The Protectors) has taken control over a vast portion of the world and is keeping the population in submission through subtle manipulation and constant promises of protection against the now-defeated Spirits. An Orwellian government is subduing any attempts to rebel, and even those Spirits which were peaceful and good are all but extinct.

A rebel movement of Spirit sympathizers scattered across the globe are secretly housing a few remaining Spirits in their homes, in an elaborate Underground Railroad. But the Watchmen are still in power, and they are on constant vigil for even the slightest sign of Spirit activity. Raids of private property are commonplace, and there are Reeducation Camps designed to brainwash uncooperative civilians in most major cities.

With humanity being controlled by the brutal Overseers, the few Spirits left are forced to hide in the homes of the kind humans who are part of the Underground Railroad. Underground bunkers are sometimes built to house these Spirits, but more often than not, they are captured by Watchmen raids and taken away, still "alive," to an unknown location. Even most of the Watchman officers don't know what happens to these Spirits, but they know it's unpleasant. With doubters among their ranks, some Watchmen are sympathetic to the cause of the Underground Railroad. These dissenters are swiftly rooted out and quietly executed.

I have plenty of issues to iron out, such as the sociopolitical and economic situations that allowed for the rise of a single unified government, but I feel like there's potential for plenty of interesting stories to tell in this universe. I've discussed my ideas briefly with a couple of published authors who specialize in worldbuilding, and they've given me some additional resources to flesh it out a bit more, but I'd like more feedback before I put more effort into this. What do you guys think?

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.