Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hypothetical translations for Naas & Voslaarum

<<  <  1  2 

scrptrx
December 29, 2017

Hey Paarthie should we keep all discussion of those dragons names here or have a separate thread?

by scrptrx
December 29, 2017

Hey Paarthie should we keep all discussion of those dragons names here or have a separate thread?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 29, 2017
@scrptrx Good question! It seems to me that we could keep both threads. The "Laar" discussion can continue independent of the "Fahl" discussion.
by paarthurnax
December 29, 2017
@scrptrx Good question! It seems to me that we could keep both threads. The "Laar" discussion can continue independent of the "Fahl" discussion.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 29, 2017
Forgive my formatting since I'm on mobile!

Ignoring Nahfahlaar, "lake" does seem like an attractive possibility. Consider existing geographical words like "Naar" ("summit"), "Lumnaar" ("valley," really I'd count these together), "Pindaar" ("plain"), and "Junaar" ("kingdom") that all end with "-aar." However, there are plenty of "-aar" words that aren't geographical, so that hinders us from making any really definitive conclusions on that front.
by paarthurnax
December 29, 2017
Forgive my formatting since I'm on mobile!

Ignoring Nahfahlaar, "lake" does seem like an attractive possibility. Consider existing geographical words like "Naar" ("summit"), "Lumnaar" ("valley," really I'd count these together), "Pindaar" ("plain"), and "Junaar" ("kingdom") that all end with "-aar." However, there are plenty of "-aar" words that aren't geographical, so that hinders us from making any really definitive conclusions on that front.

scrptrx
December 29, 2017

And, for instance, "river" is Rath, "sea" Okaaz. :)

by scrptrx
December 29, 2017

And, for instance, "river" is Rath, "sea" Okaaz. :)

scrptrx
December 29, 2017

I was poking around the dictionary, thinking about Voslaarum and Naaslaarum.

Just some notes: 

• VOS - The only time Vos shows up as a syllable (outside of words with Vo- "un-") is in Eruvos ("year"). Eru does not exist outside of this word, nor does Er (except in Erei "until"). But that doesn't mean Eruvos isn't "your Er Vos", it's just unlikely. But there's no known word for "cycle" or "month" or "week". Eruvos shows no resemblance to related words like "season" (Evgir) however so I don't think it's a compound word, which leaves us with nothing as far as what Vos is.
  • NAAS doesn't show up anywhere obviously, but most -aas words are nouns. Only two that I've seen are adjectives. They translate as: fear, mistake, health, princess, life, voice/song, herald, beast/creature; much/great, shining.

by scrptrx
December 29, 2017

I was poking around the dictionary, thinking about Voslaarum and Naaslaarum.

Just some notes: 

• VOS - The only time Vos shows up as a syllable (outside of words with Vo- "un-") is in Eruvos ("year"). Eru does not exist outside of this word, nor does Er (except in Erei "until"). But that doesn't mean Eruvos isn't "your Er Vos", it's just unlikely. But there's no known word for "cycle" or "month" or "week". Eruvos shows no resemblance to related words like "season" (Evgir) however so I don't think it's a compound word, which leaves us with nothing as far as what Vos is.
  • NAAS doesn't show up anywhere obviously, but most -aas words are nouns. Only two that I've seen are adjectives. They translate as: fear, mistake, health, princess, life, voice/song, herald, beast/creature; much/great, shining.

<<  <  1  2 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.