Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Possible Magickal Concept Behind Thu'um?

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

Mirkrilaar
September 9, 2014
Mulhahlor
Mirkrilaar

Not going into much detail, but I have noticed that when an enemy puts up a ward and you shout at it, the ward blocks the shout almost like it was a spell. Curious...

And the Spellbreaker shield blocks dragon breath shouts, up to a point.

See? Its almost as though wards see shouts as a type of magic.

by Mirkrilaar
September 9, 2014
Mulhahlor
Mirkrilaar

Not going into much detail, but I have noticed that when an enemy puts up a ward and you shout at it, the ward blocks the shout almost like it was a spell. Curious...

Mulhahlor
September 9, 2014
Mirkrilaar
Mulhahlor
Mirkrilaar

Curiouser and curiouser....(Thinly veiled reference)

by Mulhahlor
September 9, 2014
Mirkrilaar
Mulhahlor
Mirkrilaar

Curiouser and curiouser....(Thinly veiled reference)

Krahlokiiz
September 12, 2014

But wards aren't blocking magic, they are blocking the effect of the magic. When you use the fire spell and some irritating warlock has a ward up you are still casting the spell, still have a drain in magicka. At the same time, when you shout at them you are still shouting and still have all the effects (you can happily incinerate the warlock's pet skeleton that was also in the line of fire). Skyrim doesn't have an effect like Morrowinds silence, and draining magicka isn't blocking a spell, so really there is no way to "block magic."
Tolfdir lied to you.

by Krahlokiiz
September 12, 2014

But wards aren't blocking magic, they are blocking the effect of the magic. When you use the fire spell and some irritating warlock has a ward up you are still casting the spell, still have a drain in magicka. At the same time, when you shout at them you are still shouting and still have all the effects (you can happily incinerate the warlock's pet skeleton that was also in the line of fire). Skyrim doesn't have an effect like Morrowinds silence, and draining magicka isn't blocking a spell, so really there is no way to "block magic."
Tolfdir lied to you.

Mulhahlor
September 13, 2014
Krahlokiiz

Tolfdir lied to you.

I looked into it (but it's off of wikis, so maybe not true), and only magical attacks actually damage wards. Physical attacks don't, yet Shouts do damage them. The Elder Scrolls Wiki even describes Shouts as an "ancient form of magic". Again, wikis, but it's the only thing I could find.

by Mulhahlor
September 13, 2014
Krahlokiiz

Tolfdir lied to you.

I looked into it (but it's off of wikis, so maybe not true), and only magical attacks actually damage wards. Physical attacks don't, yet Shouts do damage them. The Elder Scrolls Wiki even describes Shouts as an "ancient form of magic". Again, wikis, but it's the only thing I could find.

Krahlokiiz
September 14, 2014

I suppose the beauty of TES lore is that so much is ambiguous. Believe what you want, nobody can prove anything.

While the Thu'um is similar to magic it doesn't use magicka (which is emergy from Aetherius, ), therefore it is not the same. The Greybeards refer to focusing your vital essence into a shout.

by Krahlokiiz
September 14, 2014

I suppose the beauty of TES lore is that so much is ambiguous. Believe what you want, nobody can prove anything.

While the Thu'um is similar to magic it doesn't use magicka (which is emergy from Aetherius, ), therefore it is not the same. The Greybeards refer to focusing your vital essence into a shout.

Skoboviik Raaviir
September 14, 2014

Shouting is, to my understanding, what Krahlokiiz said. It's focusing your vital essence (spirit/soul) into a physical projection. Whether that be Whrilwind Sprint

WULD N4 KREST

or Fire Breath

YOL T8R SHUL

, Thu'ums are a  spiritual way of manipulating what is around you. You could say it's "forced intent" (the oldest form of magik), but you could also look at it as a lessons in the Huna tradition (Polynesian shamanism) pertaining the tenet of MAKIA (energy flows where attention goes). 

by Skoboviik Raaviir
September 14, 2014

Shouting is, to my understanding, what Krahlokiiz said. It's focusing your vital essence (spirit/soul) into a physical projection. Whether that be Whrilwind Sprint

WULD N4 KREST

or Fire Breath

YOL T8R SHUL

, Thu'ums are a  spiritual way of manipulating what is around you. You could say it's "forced intent" (the oldest form of magik), but you could also look at it as a lessons in the Huna tradition (Polynesian shamanism) pertaining the tenet of MAKIA (energy flows where attention goes). 

Kroniid
September 21, 2014

I don't have read all this thread so maybe someone already speek of that but, in Norse Mythology, there's something called Galdr. Galdr are songs or words which are supposed to unleash magical force or blessings if they are said correctly. It wouldn't be surprising if Thu'um was based on Galdr, just as many things based on Norse Mythology in Skyrim...

by Kroniid
September 21, 2014

I don't have read all this thread so maybe someone already speek of that but, in Norse Mythology, there's something called Galdr. Galdr are songs or words which are supposed to unleash magical force or blessings if they are said correctly. It wouldn't be surprising if Thu'um was based on Galdr, just as many things based on Norse Mythology in Skyrim...

Mul klo riik
September 23, 2014

Not all magic is spells, and uses magika, for example enchanting and soul gems. You don't use magika to enchant, unless souls contain it. If this is the case, point it out please. 

EDIT: One perk allows you to regenerate magika everytime you fill a soul gem. 

by Mul klo riik
September 23, 2014

Not all magic is spells, and uses magika, for example enchanting and soul gems. You don't use magika to enchant, unless souls contain it. If this is the case, point it out please. 

EDIT: One perk allows you to regenerate magika everytime you fill a soul gem. 

Mulqoreyn
September 23, 2014

The mages of winter hold accept the dragonborn if they deminstrate the thuum (only on a certien quest) that in-and-of itself is an interesting fact for me.

by Mulqoreyn
September 23, 2014

The mages of winter hold accept the dragonborn if they deminstrate the thuum (only on a certien quest) that in-and-of itself is an interesting fact for me.

Mulhahlor
September 23, 2014
Kroniid

I think that might have been their inspiration, because of the Galdur quest, just going off of the similar speling, although it could be coincidence. The description sounds solid, though.

by Mulhahlor
September 23, 2014
Kroniid

I think that might have been their inspiration, because of the Galdur quest, just going off of the similar speling, although it could be coincidence. The description sounds solid, though.

Mulqoreyn
September 24, 2014
Mulhahlor
Kroniid

I agree.

by Mulqoreyn
September 24, 2014
Mulhahlor
Kroniid

I agree.

Kroniid
September 24, 2014

Galdur is another spelling for Galdr, as Galdrar or Galdar. It's from Old Norse so there's no exact spelling, like Odin who's also called Odenn, Othin, Woten... So yes, it's probably their inspiration ! For the name of the quest, at least.

(Another fact I've found is about the name of Volsung, the Dragon Priest. It's the name of the main clan in Volsunga Saga. But that's not the point :'3 )

by Kroniid
September 24, 2014

Galdur is another spelling for Galdr, as Galdrar or Galdar. It's from Old Norse so there's no exact spelling, like Odin who's also called Odenn, Othin, Woten... So yes, it's probably their inspiration ! For the name of the quest, at least.

(Another fact I've found is about the name of Volsung, the Dragon Priest. It's the name of the main clan in Volsunga Saga. But that's not the point :'3 )

Zauniglom
September 24, 2014

A spirtual aspect might be interesting, as all we have to do is listen to dragon priests preach?

by Zauniglom
September 24, 2014

A spirtual aspect might be interesting, as all we have to do is listen to dragon priests preach?

Kroniid
September 24, 2014

I've never heard dragon priests saying anything .-.

by Kroniid
September 24, 2014

I've never heard dragon priests saying anything .-.

Onikdojyah
September 24, 2014

Firstly, I am very proud that this topic has grown. Secondly, I'm thankful for those who suggested the ancient Nord Magick of the Gladr, I honestly don't think I would ever realise that! Thank you for all of your contributions, I'm grateful. Don't stop, by all means, continue! ^_^ 

by Onikdojyah
September 24, 2014

Firstly, I am very proud that this topic has grown. Secondly, I'm thankful for those who suggested the ancient Nord Magick of the Gladr, I honestly don't think I would ever realise that! Thank you for all of your contributions, I'm grateful. Don't stop, by all means, continue! ^_^ 

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.