Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Modern words poll.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

Loniizrath
April 8, 2014

By that logic, non-canon words shouldn't even exist.

by Loniizrath
April 8, 2014

By that logic, non-canon words shouldn't even exist.

Mahlaansaviik
April 8, 2014

Rotte los miirney.

by Mahlaansaviik
April 8, 2014

Rotte los miirney.

hiith
April 8, 2014

But non-canon words should make sense if it were in the game's atmosphere. And, Mahlaansaviik, you just blew my mind, by the way.

by hiith
April 8, 2014

But non-canon words should make sense if it were in the game's atmosphere. And, Mahlaansaviik, you just blew my mind, by the way.

Loniizrath
April 8, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

Rotte los miirney.

^ this is my new arguement

by Loniizrath
April 8, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

Rotte los miirney.

^ this is my new arguement

otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle

We're the largest group of people who speak this language by far. I don't see why we shouldn't make it our own.

Many users of Quenya and Sindarin would like to disagree with you. Yes, there are some that add words for "Neo-Quenya" or "Neo-Sindarin", but those (it would seem) are in the minoritry.

by otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle

We're the largest group of people who speak this language by far. I don't see why we shouldn't make it our own.

Many users of Quenya and Sindarin would like to disagree with you. Yes, there are some that add words for "Neo-Quenya" or "Neo-Sindarin", but those (it would seem) are in the minoritry.

Loniizrath
April 8, 2014
otakufreak40
Toxikyle

Yes, but the only people who speak dovahzul are right here. The language was (and is) incomplete, and since no one else speaks it, we should make it useable for the majority. Only about 10% of all words we use are canon.

by Loniizrath
April 8, 2014
otakufreak40
Toxikyle

Yes, but the only people who speak dovahzul are right here. The language was (and is) incomplete, and since no one else speaks it, we should make it useable for the majority. Only about 10% of all words we use are canon.

otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

Rotte los miirney.

"Words are eternal."? Maybe in an artlang, but realistically words change all the time. Sometimes to unbelievable degrees.

by otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

Rotte los miirney.

"Words are eternal."? Maybe in an artlang, but realistically words change all the time. Sometimes to unbelievable degrees.

otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle
otakufreak40
Toxikyle

We're the only people we know of to use it. Other online communities probably are just less popular (strange, since this isn't exactly the most well-known site out there) and eventually die out. The only exceptions would be Wikis such as UESP and Wikia, who are only concerned canon (though accuracy is debatable).

by otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle
otakufreak40
Toxikyle

We're the only people we know of to use it. Other online communities probably are just less popular (strange, since this isn't exactly the most well-known site out there) and eventually die out. The only exceptions would be Wikis such as UESP and Wikia, who are only concerned canon (though accuracy is debatable).

Loniizrath
April 8, 2014

Very debatable

Still, no other group uses the same dovahzul we do.

by Loniizrath
April 8, 2014

Very debatable

otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle

Good point, but I still wish there would at least be more people who could potentially vote on this, instead of just the, what, few hundred? we have.

by otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle

Good point, but I still wish there would at least be more people who could potentially vote on this, instead of just the, what, few hundred? we have.

Loniizrath
April 8, 2014

Over 1,100. At least.

by Loniizrath
April 8, 2014

Over 1,100. At least.

hiith
April 8, 2014

Um, very off-topic, I know, krosis, but "miirney" is different from "eternal". "Eternal" means lasting throughout all time, but "miirney" means it's not within or bound to the laws time.

by hiith
April 8, 2014

Um, very off-topic, I know, krosis, but "miirney" is different from "eternal". "Eternal" means lasting throughout all time, but "miirney" means it's not within or bound to the laws time.

Loniizrath
April 8, 2014
Hiith

Still, words are bound by time, and do change frequently.

by Loniizrath
April 8, 2014
Hiith

otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle

Over 1,100. At least.

Really? I'll be damned. Still, I'd rather not have modern words in Thuum.org's official wordlist, but I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit if we decide to have them in there.

Nice porfile pic, by the way. To paraphrase chuggaaconroy on why Wooper is an awesome Pokemon: "I'm sorry, but if you can be that happy all the time and not have any arms, then you freaking own.

Hiith

Yes, but "Words are outside of the boundries of time." is too verbose.

by otakufreak40
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle

Over 1,100. At least.

Really? I'll be damned. Still, I'd rather not have modern words in Thuum.org's official wordlist, but I'm not gonna throw a hissy fit if we decide to have them in there.

Nice porfile pic, by the way. To paraphrase chuggaaconroy on why Wooper is an awesome Pokemon: "I'm sorry, but if you can be that happy all the time and not have any arms, then you freaking own.

Hiith

Yes, but "Words are outside of the boundries of time." is too verbose.

hiith
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle
Hiith

I understand and agree (I wasn't the one who said otherwise). But, if you think about it, the words always exist but their meanings are changing. Someone could have said "television" thousands of years ago, but it wouldn't mean anything. And it now makes sense as a word. But isn't that what we're doing to Dovahzul with modern words? We can't make an anceint Greek word for "refridgerator". Dovahzul was meant to be in the time of Skyrim, but should we consider it bound to Skyrim's time and context? That is the issue at hand.

by hiith
April 8, 2014
Toxikyle
Hiith

I understand and agree (I wasn't the one who said otherwise). But, if you think about it, the words always exist but their meanings are changing. Someone could have said "television" thousands of years ago, but it wouldn't mean anything. And it now makes sense as a word. But isn't that what we're doing to Dovahzul with modern words? We can't make an anceint Greek word for "refridgerator". Dovahzul was meant to be in the time of Skyrim, but should we consider it bound to Skyrim's time and context? That is the issue at hand.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.