A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Contributor's Manual for Modern Words

<<  <  1  2 

websterhamster
April 16, 2014
paarthurnax

Yup, I think we are going the compound word route.

For real-world names you'd just transliterate them. "England" could be perfectly transliterated as "England", "America" would be transliterated as "Amerika", etc.

I didn't realize there wasn't a C in Dovahzul, :D . That makes a lot of sense.

by websterhamster
April 16, 2014
paarthurnax

Yup, I think we are going the compound word route.

For real-world names you'd just transliterate them. "England" could be perfectly transliterated as "England", "America" would be transliterated as "Amerika", etc.

I didn't realize there wasn't a C in Dovahzul, :D . That makes a lot of sense.

Foduiiz
April 17, 2014

What about national events? Ya know... Christmas, Bonfire Night etc. Would they be transliterated or turned into compound words? "Kristmas" or "kiindah-se-qosaar"?

by Foduiiz
April 17, 2014

What about national events? Ya know... Christmas, Bonfire Night etc. Would they be transliterated or turned into compound words? "Kristmas" or "kiindah-se-qosaar"?

Foduiiz
April 18, 2014

To answer my own question, I quite like the idea of taking the meaning and origin of an event and putting that into Dovahzul rather than just spelling it differently. Come to think of it... it's more authentic! More Examples:

Easter = Vokriindseqosaar

Mothers' Day = Monahro Sul or Sulsemonahhe

Bonfire Night = Pruzahyol vulon (Would a dragon even refer to it as a "good" fire? since fire is generally always a good thing for your typical dragon?)

Movember = Tik do luftiil om

by Foduiiz
April 18, 2014

To answer my own question, I quite like the idea of taking the meaning and origin of an event and putting that into Dovahzul rather than just spelling it differently. Come to think of it... it's more authentic! More Examples:

Easter = Vokriindseqosaar

Mothers' Day = Monahro Sul or Sulsemonahhe

Bonfire Night = Pruzahyol vulon (Would a dragon even refer to it as a "good" fire? since fire is generally always a good thing for your typical dragon?)

Movember = Tik do luftiil om

<<  <  1  2 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.