Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Bachelor Thesis: Skyrim's Dragon Language

<<  <  1  2  3 > >>  

Chevvy
April 29, 2013

sure I'll do. I'll let you know when it's finished! Just only need to correct the space between each characters.

But it works different as the others with typing the extra characters
for "aa" you need to type "á" (´+ a), or for "ah" it is "à" (`+ a)
"ei" would be "é" (´+ e) while "ey" is "è" (`+ e), etc.

I also made a normal punctuiation for it but I'm not sure if I want to have punctuation in the end – maybe I'll delete it before finishing.

Here some new screenshots of the books (layout look might change again… just the Version 1.2 now) so you know about what I'm doing the whole day when not in university haha 8D

Dictionary (i needed to restructure the word order a bit)

and a sample of the main book:
english texts are not copy editet yet so grammar might be totally wrong
magenta text is just a placeholder (not gonna use magenta colour)

by Chevvy
April 29, 2013

sure I'll do. I'll let you know when it's finished! Just only need to correct the space between each characters.

But it works different as the others with typing the extra characters
for "aa" you need to type "á" (´+ a), or for "ah" it is "à" (`+ a)
"ei" would be "é" (´+ e) while "ey" is "è" (`+ e), etc.

I also made a normal punctuiation for it but I'm not sure if I want to have punctuation in the end – maybe I'll delete it before finishing.

Here some new screenshots of the books (layout look might change again… just the Version 1.2 now) so you know about what I'm doing the whole day when not in university haha 8D

Dictionary (i needed to restructure the word order a bit)

and a sample of the main book:
english texts are not copy editet yet so grammar might be totally wrong
magenta text is just a placeholder (not gonna use magenta colour)

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 30, 2013

Wow, that looks amazing!  I don't know how easy it would be to edit the dictionary portion, but we're about to move to a different canon system: canon, semi-canon, non-canon.  I'll hopefully have that working soon.  How up to date is it?  There were some changes to a widely used suffix recently, not to mention constant new words.

by paarthurnax
April 30, 2013

Wow, that looks amazing!  I don't know how easy it would be to edit the dictionary portion, but we're about to move to a different canon system: canon, semi-canon, non-canon.  I'll hopefully have that working soon.  How up to date is it?  There were some changes to a widely used suffix recently, not to mention constant new words.

Chevvy
April 30, 2013

Thank you! :3

and: aah good you told me that!

well as you can see I used "prim" "sec" "tert" and "quar" for canon levels
so am I right that primary would be "canon", secondary and primary going to be "semi-canon" and quarternary will be "non-canon"?
I just made the dictionary entry for the whole K-words so it's not much work changing these.
but then I need to make new short cuts. I kinda liked the "prim" "tert" ect.

and this is currently up-to-date (from yesterday)

And I haven't started with layouting the grammar lessons yet but I added the last pre- and suffixes already into my word data. is there anything new, too  I might have overlooked (new lessons)?

by Chevvy
April 30, 2013

Thank you! :3

and: aah good you told me that!

well as you can see I used "prim" "sec" "tert" and "quar" for canon levels
so am I right that primary would be "canon", secondary and primary going to be "semi-canon" and quarternary will be "non-canon"?
I just made the dictionary entry for the whole K-words so it's not much work changing these.
but then I need to make new short cuts. I kinda liked the "prim" "tert" ect.

and this is currently up-to-date (from yesterday)

And I haven't started with layouting the grammar lessons yet but I added the last pre- and suffixes already into my word data. is there anything new, too  I might have overlooked (new lessons)?

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 30, 2013

Yup, primary canon will be "canon", secondary and tertiary will be "semi-canon" and quatertnary will be "non-canon", so maybe "CAN", "SEMI", "NON"?

The most recent change was the suffix "-dahk" into "-nd/-end/-ak", so there may have been some "K" words that were affected.

Out of curiosity, how did you format the dictionary?  Did you have to enter each word manually or did you automate it somehow?

by paarthurnax
April 30, 2013

Yup, primary canon will be "canon", secondary and tertiary will be "semi-canon" and quatertnary will be "non-canon", so maybe "CAN", "SEMI", "NON"?

The most recent change was the suffix "-dahk" into "-nd/-end/-ak", so there may have been some "K" words that were affected.

Out of curiosity, how did you format the dictionary?  Did you have to enter each word manually or did you automate it somehow?

Chevvy
April 30, 2013

the shortcuts sound good. I think I'll use them – thanks a lot!
okay so I have to change these too then.
are all the words with former "-dahk" suffix changed into the new ones (e.g. in the exel list)?

uhm… I using the list (exel-data) but open it with word, then copy paste a part of words into my Indesign and there I move every thing until it looks likein the screenshot (chaning word order, fontd ect.)

by Chevvy
April 30, 2013

the shortcuts sound good. I think I'll use them – thanks a lot!
okay so I have to change these too then.
are all the words with former "-dahk" suffix changed into the new ones (e.g. in the exel list)?

uhm… I using the list (exel-data) but open it with word, then copy paste a part of words into my Indesign and there I move every thing until it looks likein the screenshot (chaning word order, fontd ect.)

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 30, 2013

If you download a new version of the excel list, all of the changes should be there.

by paarthurnax
April 30, 2013

If you download a new version of the excel list, all of the changes should be there.

Chevvy
May 28, 2013

Oh my – I have only this week left to get everything ready. tho my work is done nearly 95% there's still sooooo much to do. I hope I'm finally able to post something new here next week so I can show you all how it turned out.

A bigger problem I still have is that I need someone who takes a look at my english-written texts about the language in the game and the part with the history of the dragons (merethic era – story of Skyrim). just correcting mainly grammar faults. I guess I jumped a lot with tenses in the history part… : /
A friend of mine is already about to correct the texts for my documentation (all in german) but she can't do everything.

So I'm trying to ask here now if there is anyone (only native speakers) who would offer me some help? The problem is that I need the texts until Friday/Saturday so I can edit all the wrong content D: I need to hand out everything next Monday morning.

It would se so greateful if someone could help me!

by Chevvy
May 28, 2013

Oh my – I have only this week left to get everything ready. tho my work is done nearly 95% there's still sooooo much to do. I hope I'm finally able to post something new here next week so I can show you all how it turned out.

A bigger problem I still have is that I need someone who takes a look at my english-written texts about the language in the game and the part with the history of the dragons (merethic era – story of Skyrim). just correcting mainly grammar faults. I guess I jumped a lot with tenses in the history part… : /
A friend of mine is already about to correct the texts for my documentation (all in german) but she can't do everything.

So I'm trying to ask here now if there is anyone (only native speakers) who would offer me some help? The problem is that I need the texts until Friday/Saturday so I can edit all the wrong content D: I need to hand out everything next Monday morning.

It would se so greateful if someone could help me!

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 28, 2013

I'll gladly give you a hand, I'll see how much I can get done.  Either host the file somewhere I can download or email me at [email protected].

by paarthurnax
May 28, 2013

I'll gladly give you a hand, I'll see how much I can get done.  Either host the file somewhere I can download or email me at [email protected].

Chevvy
May 29, 2013

I'd be happy about that and I really appreciate your help!
I'll mail you the first chapter now. the third (history part) is following later in a seperate word data. if you have any questions about the content anything, let me know!

thank you in advance Paarthurnax!

by Chevvy
May 29, 2013

I'd be happy about that and I really appreciate your help!
I'll mail you the first chapter now. the third (history part) is following later in a seperate word data. if you have any questions about the content anything, let me know!

thank you in advance Paarthurnax!

Chevvy
June 9, 2013

okay, since I'm ging to print my books in the middle of the next week I want to post the cover of both books now:

Thu'um - The Dragon Language of Skyrim Cover

link

Dictionary of Dovahzul Cover

link

I'm going to print the typo onto real dark brown leather next week, so the leather texture is just a preview.

My question now:
Do you think the texts on the back covers are good enough? I am really bad at writing texts for book contents… D:
advices are more than welcome!
or is there any misspelling (I already saw the text on the back of the dictionary has a mistake in the word 'dictionary' - fixed it.)

and to some book content:

Drain Vitality shout (Gaan Lah Haas):

The word wall text translations still have not all words. I saw Paarthurnax has already postet some new stuff.
Does it also contain the Drain Vitality Shout and the word walls with the full translation?

Dragon names:

Grahkrindog

Grah = battle 
krin = courageous
transl. for  ‘dog’ is missing

Nahfahlaar

Nah = fury
aar = servant
but transl. for  ‘fahl’ is missing

Relonikiv

Rel = dominate
onik =  wise
transl. for  ‘iv’ is missing

but I already saw that there is "onikiv" which means enlightment, so that problem might be solved now.

Naaslaarum  and Voslaarum translations are still missing

Dragon Priest names/masks:

Hevnoraak

Hevno = brutal
transl. for  ‘raak’  is missing

Otar the Mad

translation is missing here completely

Volsung

Vol = horror
transl. for  ‘sung’ is missing

maybe someone of you knows something about it or can help me?
thanks in advance!

by Chevvy
June 9, 2013

okay, since I'm ging to print my books in the middle of the next week I want to post the cover of both books now:

Thu'um - The Dragon Language of Skyrim Cover

link

Dictionary of Dovahzul Cover

link

I'm going to print the typo onto real dark brown leather next week, so the leather texture is just a preview.

My question now:
Do you think the texts on the back covers are good enough? I am really bad at writing texts for book contents… D:
advices are more than welcome!
or is there any misspelling (I already saw the text on the back of the dictionary has a mistake in the word 'dictionary' - fixed it.)

and to some book content:

Drain Vitality shout (Gaan Lah Haas):

The word wall text translations still have not all words. I saw Paarthurnax has already postet some new stuff.
Does it also contain the Drain Vitality Shout and the word walls with the full translation?

Dragon names:

Grahkrindog

Grah = battle 
krin = courageous
transl. for  ‘dog’ is missing

Nahfahlaar

Nah = fury
aar = servant
but transl. for  ‘fahl’ is missing

Relonikiv

Rel = dominate
onik =  wise
transl. for  ‘iv’ is missing

but I already saw that there is "onikiv" which means enlightment, so that problem might be solved now.

Naaslaarum  and Voslaarum translations are still missing

Dragon Priest names/masks:

Hevnoraak

Hevno = brutal
transl. for  ‘raak’  is missing

Otar the Mad

translation is missing here completely

Volsung

Vol = horror
transl. for  ‘sung’ is missing

maybe someone of you knows something about it or can help me?
thanks in advance!

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 9, 2013

In the second cover the "a" of the last sentence needs to be capitalized.  Other than that it looks good; you can probably do without the quotations around the back cover descriptions.

Answering some of your other questions:

• I do have a translation for the Drain Vitality walls and I'll post them in the other thread right away.
  • The name is actually "Grahkrindrog", or "Battle Courageous Lord"
  • Unfortunately I can't find a full translation for "Nahfahlaar".  "Fahl" seems to be the missing piece, although it could be "Nah + Fah + Laar" as well, in which case we still don't have a (canon) word for "Laar".
  • "Hevnoraak" is one word that means "brutality".
  • "Otar the Mad" seems to be a Nordic name, so "Otar" is a name rather than a Dovahzul word.
  • I'm guessing "Volsung" is one word as well.  UESP says it is possibly "Horror Air", "Vol + Su", but I disagree.  "Sung" is either a separate word or a suffix.  If I had to make an educated guess I'd say "Volsung" means "Horrific".
by paarthurnax
June 9, 2013

In the second cover the "a" of the last sentence needs to be capitalized.  Other than that it looks good; you can probably do without the quotations around the back cover descriptions.

Answering some of your other questions:

• I do have a translation for the Drain Vitality walls and I'll post them in the other thread right away.
  • The name is actually "Grahkrindrog", or "Battle Courageous Lord"
  • Unfortunately I can't find a full translation for "Nahfahlaar".  "Fahl" seems to be the missing piece, although it could be "Nah + Fah + Laar" as well, in which case we still don't have a (canon) word for "Laar".
  • "Hevnoraak" is one word that means "brutality".
  • "Otar the Mad" seems to be a Nordic name, so "Otar" is a name rather than a Dovahzul word.
  • I'm guessing "Volsung" is one word as well.  UESP says it is possibly "Horror Air", "Vol + Su", but I disagree.  "Sung" is either a separate word or a suffix.  If I had to make an educated guess I'd say "Volsung" means "Horrific".

Chevvy
June 9, 2013

thanks for your answers!

I thought so that Otar would maybe be a nordic name.

well I hoped there would be a translation for "laar" then because its also in Voslaarum ans Naaslaarum. but if the legendary guid hasn't any information about it we won't ever know what it means.

I kinda like 'horrific' for volsung.

by Chevvy
June 9, 2013

thanks for your answers!

I thought so that Otar would maybe be a nordic name.

well I hoped there would be a translation for "laar" then because its also in Voslaarum ans Naaslaarum. but if the legendary guid hasn't any information about it we won't ever know what it means.

I kinda like 'horrific' for volsung.

Chevvy
June 30, 2013

I finally came to take some photos and posted them on my Tumblr.
Gonna share the link now so you can take a look at it, too! :3

http://inwardscreams.tumblr.com/post/54261219772/thuum-the-dragon-language-of-skyrim-books-about

by Chevvy
June 30, 2013

I finally came to take some photos and posted them on my Tumblr.
Gonna share the link now so you can take a look at it, too! :3

http://inwardscreams.tumblr.com/post/54261219772/thuum-the-dragon-language-of-skyrim-books-about

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 30, 2013

This is going on the front page for sure!

by paarthurnax
June 30, 2013

This is going on the front page for sure!

Ahmuldein
July 24, 2014

Where can we buy this?

by Ahmuldein
July 24, 2014

Where can we buy this?

<<  <  1  2  3 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.