Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Is Talos a "god" or not?

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

Aaliizah
August 8, 2014

Mahlaansaviik, that is an excellent point. I'm convinced!

by Aaliizah
August 8, 2014

Mahlaansaviik
August 8, 2014
Aaliizah

Yeah I wasn't convinced of his divinity until I found out about the Mysterium Xarxes. What I'm interested in now is wether or not Talos is Lorkhan. This would explain why the Thalmor hate Talos worship afterall. But then again, there are still other plausible reasons why they would ban Talos worship.

by Mahlaansaviik
August 8, 2014
Aaliizah

Yeah I wasn't convinced of his divinity until I found out about the Mysterium Xarxes. What I'm interested in now is wether or not Talos is Lorkhan. This would explain why the Thalmor hate Talos worship afterall. But then again, there are still other plausible reasons why they would ban Talos worship.

Nivzahkun
August 12, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

I believe he is a god because the Daedra recognize him as such. His blood is capable of opening the portal from the Mysterium Xarxes afterall. Not to mention his shrines give actual blessings.

yes, the blood of a divine, no less! and the knights of the nine, storyline reinforces it! Yein talos strundu'ul!

by Nivzahkun
August 12, 2014
Mahlaansaviik

I believe he is a god because the Daedra recognize him as such. His blood is capable of opening the portal from the Mysterium Xarxes afterall. Not to mention his shrines give actual blessings.

yes, the blood of a divine, no less! and the knights of the nine, storyline reinforces it! Yein talos strundu'ul!

The Last DragonBorn
March 23, 2015

Talos is a god. I had to do a paper in English and got to do it over this. :D 

by The Last DragonBorn
March 23, 2015

Talos is a god. I had to do a paper in English and got to do it over this. :D 

Loniizrath
March 23, 2015
ikaram

Talos is a God becuase people worship him. End of story.

If someone started worshipping me as a god, does that make me an all-powerful being?

by Loniizrath
March 23, 2015
ikaram

If someone started worshipping me as a god, does that make me an all-powerful being?

DovahKiinZaan
March 24, 2015
Fuck the dominion Talos is a god
by DovahKiinZaan
March 24, 2015
Fuck the dominion Talos is a god

Mulqoreyn
June 25, 2015
Loniizrath
ikaram

Yes, yes it does.

by Mulqoreyn
June 25, 2015
Loniizrath
ikaram

Yes, yes it does.

Ahkrinfeynvokun
June 29, 2015

The Aldmeri Dominion want to extinguish Talos worship and man as a way of completely undoing creation. So I'm almost given an impression Talos is a god so long as Man still exsits on Nirn. But my grasp on the Aldmeri Dominion isn't perfect.

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
June 29, 2015

The Aldmeri Dominion want to extinguish Talos worship and man as a way of completely undoing creation. So I'm almost given an impression Talos is a god so long as Man still exsits on Nirn. But my grasp on the Aldmeri Dominion isn't perfect.

Friðr Loðbrók
July 3, 2015

This is kind of random but I've only played Skyrim and am currently playing Oblivion, but the Daedric Princes interact with mankind both directly and indirectly often, but do any of the Divines make an apperance or do you even hear them speak to you throughout the games? 

by Friðr Loðbrók
July 3, 2015

This is kind of random but I've only played Skyrim and am currently playing Oblivion, but the Daedric Princes interact with mankind both directly and indirectly often, but do any of the Divines make an apperance or do you even hear them speak to you throughout the games? 

Ahkrinfeynvokun
July 8, 2015
Friðr Loðbrók

I believe that happens sometime in Oblivion, but I've never finished the main quest myself. Otherwise, aside from getting blessings from shrines, there really doesn't seem to be any interraction with the Divines.

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
July 8, 2015
Friðr Loðbrók

I believe that happens sometime in Oblivion, but I've never finished the main quest myself. Otherwise, aside from getting blessings from shrines, there really doesn't seem to be any interraction with the Divines.

GodofGames2468
September 23, 2015

Talos is a god. if or when u meet him, he is known as Talos the Divine. plus, his blood opened a door that ONLY the blood of a god can open

by GodofGames2468
September 23, 2015

Talos is a god. if or when u meet him, he is known as Talos the Divine. plus, his blood opened a door that ONLY the blood of a god can open

Mulhahlor
October 8, 2015

Is Talos a god? Yes. Is Talos an Aedra? No. In a sense, the Aedra, Daedric Lords, and Talos are all gods, as is Alduin.

by Mulhahlor
October 8, 2015

Is Talos a god? Yes. Is Talos an Aedra? No. In a sense, the Aedra, Daedric Lords, and Talos are all gods, as is Alduin.

Ahkrinfeynvokun
October 10, 2015
Mulhahlor

This, I can get behind

by Ahkrinfeynvokun
October 10, 2015
Mulhahlor

This, I can get behind

Emperor of Man
October 11, 2015

No, he isn't a god. Hail Thalmor!

In serious aspects, he is a god, as Mulhahlor said. The Thalmor just want the Nords to not have anyone to worship. Faith=Hope.

by Emperor of Man
October 11, 2015

No, he isn't a god. Hail Thalmor!

In serious aspects, he is a god, as Mulhahlor said. The Thalmor just want the Nords to not have anyone to worship. Faith=Hope.

BobLoblaw
October 14, 2015
Friðr Loðbrók

Mulqoreyn

Yes, yes it does.

With the exception of the Talos, the Divines are aedra and mostly dead, barring special circumstances (ie mythotopiac avatars like Akatosh in Oblivion (( though that may have been just a collection of the souls of legitmimate emporers of Cyrodiil, all of whom were dragonborn)) Alduin, lesser dragons/dragonborns, Mara & Zenithar's avatars in Morrowind)

Mulqoreyn & ikaram are right, in the sense that "god" in the Elder Scrolls is a meaningless term used to describe beings that are worshiped - in that sense, the sload are gods because they're worshiped in Hackdirt. However, god doesn't mean having PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWER. If you gain said power, most would call you a god, but being worshipped doesn't grant power. American Gods rules only apply to the aedra, because they're mostly dead (and even then, worship only controls their ability to do anything other than maintain the physical laws of Mundus. They won't stop existing without it.)

Aight, so, once upon a time there was this one devious mofo. We'll call him Shor, because that that's way more rad than Lorkhan. He went to everyone that matters, and told them 'bout this neat idea he had. A little less than 16 told him to go to hell, and they became the daedric princes (Meridia and Malacath both were in on it, and for one reason or another were forced or chose to bail; Mora might not have existed at the time), and 10 thought the idea was pretty nifty and went in on it - they became the aedra. One of them, Magnux, chose to bail, and his followers became the Magne-Ge. Anyway, Shor's big idea was to create the world, and he had Magnus handle all the particulars. Right after Magnus finished, he realized Mundus was a murder box - a windowless van you'd lure a hobo into.

A little later, some of the other Aedra notice their stuck here, and can't leave. They get pissed, the War of Manifest Metaphor happens, and everything goes to hell. The aedra (which, at this time included Trinnimac) bring Shor to the Adamantine Tower in High Rock, and straight up kill him. Trinnimac rips out his heart, and Auri-El sticks it on his arrow and fires across the continent, where it lands in Vvardenfell, creating Red Mountain. Along the way, blood drips from the heart, falls to the ground, and that's where ebony comes from. The limitations of the world puts the aedra in a como, leaving them almost dead.

All that stuff above happens at the same time, because time didn't become a thing until the creation of Red Mountain stablized Mundus, acting as the chain binding everyone involved to the world.

Anyway, all of mortal history happens. Boethia turns Trinnimac into Malacath (only 8 aedra now), gets a bunch of altmer to ditch Alinor for Morrowind. Eventually, in the late second era this guy named Hjalti Early-Beard is born in High Rock. This guy would become Tiber Septim, with the help of an Atmoran Dragr named Wulfharth, and an Imperial wizard name Zurin Arctus. Hjalti was not a nice man. He wasn't dragonborn, and he couldn't shout - but his friend Walfharth was and could. He gets Wulfharth to pretend to be him, leading to the legend of Talos forming. A man who could be in two places at once, could shout, and was from Atmora. 

Anyway, they're all working for the King of Falkreath, which was part of Cyrodiil at the time, and conquering shit in his name. Hjalti, being the rogue to Wulf's warrior and Zurin's mage, murders the king, pins it on foriegners, and cuts his throat. This gives him a couple of benefits - it makes him look good, and explains why he won't be shouting after the next step. 

Septim conquered Morrowind by treaty - at this point the Tribunal was weak and couldn't really deal with invasion. Vivec gives Tiber Morrowind, and the Nummidium (what was left of the dwarven race) in exchange for Autonomy within the Empire. The Nummidium was powered by Shor's heart. As it happens, Shor wasn't dead dead. Parts of his soul were still wandering around as living ghosts called Shezzarines. As it happened, Wulfharth was a Shezzarine. So was Zurin. Hjalti too. Hjalti calls Wulfharth and Zurin together, kills 'em, and soul traps them in giant gem known as the Mantella, which can act as a substitute heart (and the main mcguffin in Daggerfall).

He then uses the Nummidian invade Alinor. The Altmer war against the the giant dwarven death robot was near genocidal (spoiler alert - the Altmer lost). And so, for the first time in history, the Summerset Isles were conquered. The Third Era had begun

Cool, now lets skip a couple hundred years, near the end of the Third Era. The plot of Daggerfall happens, which ends with the activation of the Nummidium. The Numidium, when activated, causes an event known as a dragon-break (it did at Red Mountain, it did against the Elves, and it did in the Illiac Bay). This result in all of Daggerfall's endings happening, at the same time. This is also results in the most famous way in which Talos becme a god (there were a couple of other ways too - CHIM, mantelling Lorkhan, maybe dracochrysalis, others. Basically, Talos is a cheater). The Nummidium see's the now dead Hjalti, and the souls of Wulfharth and Zurin, and decides that they're the same guy. So they become the same guy - and gains PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWER. Because, like Mannimarco, Talos became a god during a dragon-break, he was retroactively always a god. Because he mantelled Lorkhan, he was Lorkhan. And because of CHIM, he was still him, too. (Most of this is from the Arcturian Hearsey, which is confirmed in by the Ghost of Old Hroldan in Skyrim. The rest can be pieced together from the Many-Headed Talos, which is what the guy in Whiterun won't shut up about, and a couple of other sources I don't have the time to find).

And that is why Talos is a god, always has been a god, and is absolutely the scariest thing in the Elder Scrolls. You even meet him in Morrowind. I'm also fairly certain the Prophet in KotN was Talos, so you meet him then too.

The Thalmor plan has "Kill Talos" as step one. They believe that Talos is more similiar to an aedra than anything else, and should be subject to mythotopia - in order words, if no one believes in him he won't exist. They're wrong, of course - American Gods rules only apply to the aedra.

Edit

Brackets results in dragon text. Did not know that.

by BobLoblaw
October 14, 2015
Friðr Loðbrók

Mulqoreyn

Yes, yes it does.

With the exception of the Talos, the Divines are aedra and mostly dead, barring special circumstances (ie mythotopiac avatars like Akatosh in Oblivion (( though that may have been just a collection of the souls of legitmimate emporers of Cyrodiil, all of whom were dragonborn)) Alduin, lesser dragons/dragonborns, Mara & Zenithar's avatars in Morrowind)

Mulqoreyn & ikaram are right, in the sense that "god" in the Elder Scrolls is a meaningless term used to describe beings that are worshiped - in that sense, the sload are gods because they're worshiped in Hackdirt. However, god doesn't mean having PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWER. If you gain said power, most would call you a god, but being worshipped doesn't grant power. American Gods rules only apply to the aedra, because they're mostly dead (and even then, worship only controls their ability to do anything other than maintain the physical laws of Mundus. They won't stop existing without it.)

Aight, so, once upon a time there was this one devious mofo. We'll call him Shor, because that that's way more rad than Lorkhan. He went to everyone that matters, and told them 'bout this neat idea he had. A little less than 16 told him to go to hell, and they became the daedric princes (Meridia and Malacath both were in on it, and for one reason or another were forced or chose to bail; Mora might not have existed at the time), and 10 thought the idea was pretty nifty and went in on it - they became the aedra. One of them, Magnux, chose to bail, and his followers became the Magne-Ge. Anyway, Shor's big idea was to create the world, and he had Magnus handle all the particulars. Right after Magnus finished, he realized Mundus was a murder box - a windowless van you'd lure a hobo into.

A little later, some of the other Aedra notice their stuck here, and can't leave. They get pissed, the War of Manifest Metaphor happens, and everything goes to hell. The aedra (which, at this time included Trinnimac) bring Shor to the Adamantine Tower in High Rock, and straight up kill him. Trinnimac rips out his heart, and Auri-El sticks it on his arrow and fires across the continent, where it lands in Vvardenfell, creating Red Mountain. Along the way, blood drips from the heart, falls to the ground, and that's where ebony comes from. The limitations of the world puts the aedra in a como, leaving them almost dead.

All that stuff above happens at the same time, because time didn't become a thing until the creation of Red Mountain stablized Mundus, acting as the chain binding everyone involved to the world.

Anyway, all of mortal history happens. Boethia turns Trinnimac into Malacath (only 8 aedra now), gets a bunch of altmer to ditch Alinor for Morrowind. Eventually, in the late second era this guy named Hjalti Early-Beard is born in High Rock. This guy would become Tiber Septim, with the help of an Atmoran Dragr named Wulfharth, and an Imperial wizard name Zurin Arctus. Hjalti was not a nice man. He wasn't dragonborn, and he couldn't shout - but his friend Walfharth was and could. He gets Wulfharth to pretend to be him, leading to the legend of Talos forming. A man who could be in two places at once, could shout, and was from Atmora. 

Anyway, they're all working for the King of Falkreath, which was part of Cyrodiil at the time, and conquering shit in his name. Hjalti, being the rogue to Wulf's warrior and Zurin's mage, murders the king, pins it on foriegners, and cuts his throat. This gives him a couple of benefits - it makes him look good, and explains why he won't be shouting after the next step. 

Septim conquered Morrowind by treaty - at this point the Tribunal was weak and couldn't really deal with invasion. Vivec gives Tiber Morrowind, and the Nummidium (what was left of the dwarven race) in exchange for Autonomy within the Empire. The Nummidium was powered by Shor's heart. As it happens, Shor wasn't dead dead. Parts of his soul were still wandering around as living ghosts called Shezzarines. As it happened, Wulfharth was a Shezzarine. So was Zurin. Hjalti too. Hjalti calls Wulfharth and Zurin together, kills 'em, and soul traps them in giant gem known as the Mantella, which can act as a substitute heart (and the main mcguffin in Daggerfall).

He then uses the Nummidian invade Alinor. The Altmer war against the the giant dwarven death robot was near genocidal (spoiler alert - the Altmer lost). And so, for the first time in history, the Summerset Isles were conquered. The Third Era had begun

Cool, now lets skip a couple hundred years, near the end of the Third Era. The plot of Daggerfall happens, which ends with the activation of the Nummidium. The Numidium, when activated, causes an event known as a dragon-break (it did at Red Mountain, it did against the Elves, and it did in the Illiac Bay). This result in all of Daggerfall's endings happening, at the same time. This is also results in the most famous way in which Talos becme a god (there were a couple of other ways too - CHIM, mantelling Lorkhan, maybe dracochrysalis, others. Basically, Talos is a cheater). The Nummidium see's the now dead Hjalti, and the souls of Wulfharth and Zurin, and decides that they're the same guy. So they become the same guy - and gains PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWER. Because, like Mannimarco, Talos became a god during a dragon-break, he was retroactively always a god. Because he mantelled Lorkhan, he was Lorkhan. And because of CHIM, he was still him, too. (Most of this is from the Arcturian Hearsey, which is confirmed in by the Ghost of Old Hroldan in Skyrim. The rest can be pieced together from the Many-Headed Talos, which is what the guy in Whiterun won't shut up about, and a couple of other sources I don't have the time to find).

And that is why Talos is a god, always has been a god, and is absolutely the scariest thing in the Elder Scrolls. You even meet him in Morrowind. I'm also fairly certain the Prophet in KotN was Talos, so you meet him then too.

The Thalmor plan has "Kill Talos" as step one. They believe that Talos is more similiar to an aedra than anything else, and should be subject to mythotopia - in order words, if no one believes in him he won't exist. They're wrong, of course - American Gods rules only apply to the aedra.

Edit

Brackets results in dragon text. Did not know that.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.