Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

List of Needed Words

<<  <  1  2 

scrptrx
April 26, 2013

hmm.... did they speak all of it or just parts necessary to convene with dragons/priests? maybe months were needed then.

by scrptrx
April 26, 2013

hmm.... did they speak all of it or just parts necessary to convene with dragons/priests? maybe months were needed then.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 26, 2013

I presume they (especially the dragon priests) would have spoken it fluently.  Like the Catholic church performed mass in Latin, they probably would have performed ceremonies and rituals entirely in the dragon language.

by paarthurnax
April 26, 2013

I presume they (especially the dragon priests) would have spoken it fluently.  Like the Catholic church performed mass in Latin, they probably would have performed ceremonies and rituals entirely in the dragon language.

scrptrx
April 26, 2013

true

by scrptrx
April 26, 2013

true

scrptrx
April 26, 2013

Are we ok with just saying "Sadonvumme" for Greybeards? I am, just wondered if anyone had a desire to make a separate word. 

by scrptrx
April 26, 2013

Are we ok with just saying "Sadonvumme" for Greybeards? I am, just wondered if anyone had a desire to make a separate word. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 26, 2013

I almost feel like there should be a separate word, but the question them becomes what they would call themselves (they have taken to calling themselves the Greybeards in Cyrodiilic).  "Thu'umiik/Thu'umaaniik", "Voiced Ones"?

by paarthurnax
April 26, 2013

I almost feel like there should be a separate word, but the question them becomes what they would call themselves (they have taken to calling themselves the Greybeards in Cyrodiilic).  "Thu'umiik/Thu'umaaniik", "Voiced Ones"?

scrptrx
April 27, 2013

I like that

by scrptrx
April 27, 2013

I like that

scrptrx
April 27, 2013

Hmm, is -iik the best way to make "Voiced One"?

"Engl. "-er", modifies a verb into a noun that is a doer of that verb."

"Voicer"?...

what about 

Ver-  

"Modifies a noun into an intransitive verb meaning "to make or create"."

Verthu'um/Verothu'um. "Voice Maker"

or

-dein / -ein

"Engl. "-ship", expands the meaning of the base noun. "-ein" is used if the last syllable of the word contains a "d"."

Thu'umdein. So like "kingship" (the act of being king), "relationship" (the act of having a relation), "Voiceship" (the act of having Voice) ?

by scrptrx
April 27, 2013

Hmm, is -iik the best way to make "Voiced One"?

"Engl. "-er", modifies a verb into a noun that is a doer of that verb."

"Voicer"?...

what about 

Ver-  

"Modifies a noun into an intransitive verb meaning "to make or create"."

Verthu'um/Verothu'um. "Voice Maker"

or

-dein / -ein

"Engl. "-ship", expands the meaning of the base noun. "-ein" is used if the last syllable of the word contains a "d"."

Thu'umdein. So like "kingship" (the act of being king), "relationship" (the act of having a relation), "Voiceship" (the act of having Voice) ?

scrptrx
April 27, 2013

Now that I think about it, perhaps "Voiced Ones" would be more than just Greybeards, but perhaps Tongues.

Maybe Greybeards should be "Followers of the Way" or "Way-Followers", "Zen-Kiibokiikke" (ugh).

("Zensethu'um" means "Way of the Voice".)

Way-Voice, Zenthu'um.

Way-Voicer, Zenthu'umiik.

*shrug*

by scrptrx
April 27, 2013

Now that I think about it, perhaps "Voiced Ones" would be more than just Greybeards, but perhaps Tongues.

Maybe Greybeards should be "Followers of the Way" or "Way-Followers", "Zen-Kiibokiikke" (ugh).

("Zensethu'um" means "Way of the Voice".)

Way-Voice, Zenthu'um.

Way-Voicer, Zenthu'umiik.

*shrug*

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 27, 2013

Perhaps "Sadonvumme" might be best if only for simplicity.  Also, I made "Kiibokin" for "follower" because "Kiibokiik" is quite messy.

by paarthurnax
April 27, 2013

Perhaps "Sadonvumme" might be best if only for simplicity.  Also, I made "Kiibokin" for "follower" because "Kiibokiik" is quite messy.

scrptrx
April 28, 2013

Sadonvumme it is then. I'm fine with that.

by scrptrx
April 28, 2013

Sadonvumme it is then. I'm fine with that.

paarthurnax
Administrator
June 16, 2013

You are correct, dragons are genderless, although that doesn't necessarily mean they don't understand gender as a concept.  There are two possibilities, one is that gender was in the language to begin with, or two, it got injected into the language once the ancient Nords started speaking it.  At any rate, they have pronouns "he" and "she", and gender-specific words like "king" and "queen".

by paarthurnax
June 16, 2013

You are correct, dragons are genderless, although that doesn't necessarily mean they don't understand gender as a concept.  There are two possibilities, one is that gender was in the language to begin with, or two, it got injected into the language once the ancient Nords started speaking it.  At any rate, they have pronouns "he" and "she", and gender-specific words like "king" and "queen".

<<  <  1  2 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.