Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Watch the Skies

<<  <  1  2  3 > >>  

Loniizrath
August 18, 2014

So it's not actually Dovahzul, there's no profound meaning to it all, it's probably just some Nord who drank too much mead and tried to sing "Ragnar the Red" to a dragon.

by Loniizrath
August 18, 2014

So it's not actually Dovahzul, there's no profound meaning to it all, it's probably just some Nord who drank too much mead and tried to sing "Ragnar the Red" to a dragon.

Foduiiz
August 18, 2014
Toxikyle

A whole choir of Nords, in fact! 

Yeah. It's a bit of a shame, really. It would've been nice to see some more canon literature :( 

by Foduiiz
August 18, 2014
Toxikyle

A whole choir of Nords, in fact! 

Yeah. It's a bit of a shame, really. It would've been nice to see some more canon literature :( 

Mul klo riik
September 1, 2014

Regardless, i still feel we should try to figure this out as close as we can. I clearly hear dovahzul and will continue to work on learning it. Even if we never find the exact, origional lyrics, it would be nice to have have something.

by Mul klo riik
September 1, 2014

Regardless, i still feel we should try to figure this out as close as we can. I clearly hear dovahzul and will continue to work on learning it. Even if we never find the exact, origional lyrics, it would be nice to have have something.

Foduiiz
September 2, 2014
Mul klo riik

There are no original lyrics. It's gibberish. You could try to interpret it as best you can but you'd essentially be making it up. 

by Foduiiz
September 2, 2014
Mul klo riik

There are no original lyrics. It's gibberish. You could try to interpret it as best you can but you'd essentially be making it up. 

Mul klo riik
September 5, 2014

Right, krosis, I'm sorry, I've actually been trying to figure this song out on my own for a while now, lingrah morah, nid siiv. I have acted on impulse. Frolaaz inni.

by Mul klo riik
September 5, 2014

Right, krosis, I'm sorry, I've actually been trying to figure this song out on my own for a while now, lingrah morah, nid siiv. I have acted on impulse. Frolaaz inni.

Kroniid
September 6, 2014

Oh. I've always wondered what were the lyrics of this song... Just sounds stuck together. Funny. Anyway, he first time I heard it, I thought it was Latin, because at the end (between 1:37 and 1:40) i've heard something like "Aaah aaah gloria !" ...
But even if lyrics are bozokdraaf, chorus should at least have documents with these crappy lyrics writing on .-. Even if it looks like "Oh oh ah ah ah ah oh oh aaaah !"

Mul klo riik : I agree with you, it would have been nice to find lyrics !

Sahkrahfaas : My friends and I love the "X-Box style lyrics" x)

by Kroniid
September 6, 2014

Oh. I've always wondered what were the lyrics of this song... Just sounds stuck together. Funny. Anyway, he first time I heard it, I thought it was Latin, because at the end (between 1:37 and 1:40) i've heard something like "Aaah aaah gloria !" ...
But even if lyrics are bozokdraaf, chorus should at least have documents with these crappy lyrics writing on .-. Even if it looks like "Oh oh ah ah ah ah oh oh aaaah !"

Mul klo riik : I agree with you, it would have been nice to find lyrics !

Sahkrahfaas : My friends and I love the "X-Box style lyrics" x)

Mul klo riik
September 7, 2014

Who else heard, het los maar do dovahhe? I'm pretty sure it's a semi-cannon word, but I can't get it out of my head!

EDIT: This is a way dead thread now, 9/27/14. We have disproven any existence of real words. To any people in the future who attempt to find words of this song, or make words for it. I have heard. 

TH6RI FEN DU T1ZOK1N
Yes I'm crazy and persistent.

by Mul klo riik
September 7, 2014

Who else heard, het los maar do dovahhe? I'm pretty sure it's a semi-cannon word, but I can't get it out of my head!

EDIT: This is a way dead thread now, 9/27/14. We have disproven any existence of real words. To any people in the future who attempt to find words of this song, or make words for it. I have heard. 

TH6RI FEN DU T1ZOK1N
Yes I'm crazy and persistent.

dovahnite
January 10, 2015

Looks like this has been gone for a few months now . . . anyway, I've found one more thing that pretty strongly disproves the existance of actual words and it's been driving me up the wall for about two days now so I guess I might as well post it here, staff permitting. Wall of text incoming.

Way back when the game first came out Bethesday put up a "Sound of Skyrim" video on their YouTube channel. About a minute into the video Todd Howard talks about the conception of the main theme. We all know that one, most of us could probably sing it ourselves. Anyway, he dates it that song to 2006, only a few months after Oblivion came out. The Dovahkiin song was about as early in its lifetime as you can get, and still has lyrics that follow the rules of the language pretty darn well. Soule's and Emil's reactions imply this, too, it seems like they were completely thrown by the idea of writing song in a made-up language.

So that being said, WTS almost certainly wasn't written way back at the begnning of Dovahzul, and if it was written later there's a good chance you'd have been able to pick the lyrics out by now. My personal guess is that they've had the skeleton of the song around since the days of Morrowind but didn't use it. Then Skyrim comes along and someone thinks it'll be good dragon fighting music, and it just gets rewired it to fit Skyrim sound quality without - as Mirk's contact said - giving much thought to the words. It strikes me as really odd that they don't even have any records of it at all, though. This is 2000 AD, not 1000 AD, and we keep records of everything these days.

Too bad we're probably not getting ahold of Soule himself, or something.

Now that I've written that, hopefully I won't lose any more sleep over it :P

by dovahnite
January 10, 2015

Looks like this has been gone for a few months now . . . anyway, I've found one more thing that pretty strongly disproves the existance of actual words and it's been driving me up the wall for about two days now so I guess I might as well post it here, staff permitting. Wall of text incoming.

Way back when the game first came out Bethesday put up a "Sound of Skyrim" video on their YouTube channel. About a minute into the video Todd Howard talks about the conception of the main theme. We all know that one, most of us could probably sing it ourselves. Anyway, he dates it that song to 2006, only a few months after Oblivion came out. The Dovahkiin song was about as early in its lifetime as you can get, and still has lyrics that follow the rules of the language pretty darn well. Soule's and Emil's reactions imply this, too, it seems like they were completely thrown by the idea of writing song in a made-up language.

So that being said, WTS almost certainly wasn't written way back at the begnning of Dovahzul, and if it was written later there's a good chance you'd have been able to pick the lyrics out by now. My personal guess is that they've had the skeleton of the song around since the days of Morrowind but didn't use it. Then Skyrim comes along and someone thinks it'll be good dragon fighting music, and it just gets rewired it to fit Skyrim sound quality without - as Mirk's contact said - giving much thought to the words. It strikes me as really odd that they don't even have any records of it at all, though. This is 2000 AD, not 1000 AD, and we keep records of everything these days.

Too bad we're probably not getting ahold of Soule himself, or something.

Now that I've written that, hopefully I won't lose any more sleep over it :P

ikaram
January 31, 2015

I would just like to say that it would have been way cooler to have the main theme for fighting dragons.

by ikaram
January 31, 2015

I would just like to say that it would have been way cooler to have the main theme for fighting dragons.

dovahnite
February 1, 2015

They do, dragon fighting music alternates between Watch the Skies, a vocal-less song that I can't remember the name of and The One They Fear, a somewhat faster version of the main theme.

by dovahnite
February 1, 2015

They do, dragon fighting music alternates between Watch the Skies, a vocal-less song that I can't remember the name of and The One They Fear, a somewhat faster version of the main theme.

Mul klo riik
February 1, 2015
dovahnite

I swear the faster version of The One They Fear is different though, I've never been eble to sing along to it.

by Mul klo riik
February 1, 2015
dovahnite

I swear the faster version of The One They Fear is different though, I've never been eble to sing along to it.

dovahnite
February 1, 2015

I'm about 90% sure the words are the same, One They Fear just sung faster and the instruments play a little louder, especially after the first stanza. Though that does make it kind of hard to tell.

To compare:

The Dovahkiin Song | The One They Fear

by dovahnite
February 1, 2015

I'm about 90% sure the words are the same, One They Fear just sung faster and the instruments play a little louder, especially after the first stanza. Though that does make it kind of hard to tell.

To compare:

Mul klo riik
February 1, 2015
dovahnite

To compare:

P1R TH6 NAX
Can you slow this song down too?

by Mul klo riik
February 1, 2015
dovahnite

To compare:

P1R TH6 NAX

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 2, 2015
Mul klo riik
dovahnite

To compare:

P1R TH6 NAX

As dovahnite says, it's identical to the main theme, but sped up.

by paarthurnax
February 2, 2015
Mul klo riik
dovahnite

To compare:

P1R TH6 NAX

Mul klo riik
February 2, 2015
paarthurnax
Mul klo riik
dovahnite

To compare:

P1R TH6 NAX

Then I swear I'm insane.

by Mul klo riik
February 2, 2015
paarthurnax
Mul klo riik
dovahnite

To compare:

P1R TH6 NAX

Then I swear I'm insane.

<<  <  1  2  3 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.