Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

what language did/do the Nords speak?

<<  <  1  2 

scrptrx
June 29, 2014

So there seems to be two thoughts on Nordic languages. One is that they speak a language evolved from a combination of Aldmeris and Nedic, and another (which I support) is that they speak a language evolved from Nedic with a sprinkling of Dovahzul and perhaps some loan words from elven languages, but not all that much. Nedic, which would have been what Atmorans spoke, would have been related to Old Norse and/or Dutch (see Mjoll the Lioness's game dialogue, which misuses Dutch, which might mean nothing for the Old Norse aspect and just be an easter egg), or some mangled Scandinvaian-rooted fictive language (most likely scenario), as not all names and places of people in the game translate fully to Old Norse but are rather "reminiscent of".

In any case, I already figured this all out for a story I wrote, and the first book's glossary can be found here: http://archiveofourown.org/works/808274/chapters/2251601

Additionally, here is a list of NPC names in Skyrim and their name POSSIBLE meanings based on what we know of Earth's Germanic languages.

Balgruuf (Old Norse; Bal-grof, “fire pit”) - Jarl of Whiterun

Galmar (Old Norse; Gaumr, “attention”) - Ulfric's Housecarl

Hermir (Old Norse; Hamarr, “hammer” or Hamr, “shape”) - Windhelm's assistant blacksmith

Ingjard (Germanic; Ing-garðr, “lord/god enclosure”) - Dawnguard member

Jorleif (Germanic; Jorr-leif, “wild boar heir/legacy”) - Ulfric's Steward with a massive moustache

Oengul (Old Norse; An-goll “ancestor/father battle/noise”; less likely, Ç«ngull “fish hook”) - Windhelm's blacksmith

Onmund (Old Norse; Anu-mund, “ancestor protection”) - Mage who doesn't want to go to a Nordic ruin because it's "wrong"

Sifnar (Old Norse; Sif(jar)-ny, “wife/affinity new”) - Ulfric's cook

Stenvar (Scandinavian; Steinn-var, “stone defender/warrior”) - Steel-clad sellsword

Thrynn (Old Norse; Þorr-nyr, “thunder new/young”) - Thieves Guild hired muscle, ex bandit

Tolfdir (Old Norse; Þorr -ulfr-dyr, “thunder wolf deer/animal” or –dyrr “precious”) - Kind mage scholar/instructor

Ulfric (Old Norse; Ulfr-riki, “wolf power/authority”) - Jarl of Windhelm

Wuunferth (Germanic; Ven-ferð, “probable journey/dealings”) - Ulfric's court wizard

Yrsarald (Old Norse; Yrr-halda, “wild/furious protector/keeper”) - Ulfric's military advisor

by scrptrx
June 29, 2014

So there seems to be two thoughts on Nordic languages. One is that they speak a language evolved from a combination of Aldmeris and Nedic, and another (which I support) is that they speak a language evolved from Nedic with a sprinkling of Dovahzul and perhaps some loan words from elven languages, but not all that much. Nedic, which would have been what Atmorans spoke, would have been related to Old Norse and/or Dutch (see Mjoll the Lioness's game dialogue, which misuses Dutch, which might mean nothing for the Old Norse aspect and just be an easter egg), or some mangled Scandinvaian-rooted fictive language (most likely scenario), as not all names and places of people in the game translate fully to Old Norse but are rather "reminiscent of".

In any case, I already figured this all out for a story I wrote, and the first book's glossary can be found here: http://archiveofourown.org/works/808274/chapters/2251601

Additionally, here is a list of NPC names in Skyrim and their name POSSIBLE meanings based on what we know of Earth's Germanic languages.

Balgruuf (Old Norse; Bal-grof, “fire pit”) - Jarl of Whiterun

Galmar (Old Norse; Gaumr, “attention”) - Ulfric's Housecarl

Hermir (Old Norse; Hamarr, “hammer” or Hamr, “shape”) - Windhelm's assistant blacksmith

Ingjard (Germanic; Ing-garðr, “lord/god enclosure”) - Dawnguard member

Jorleif (Germanic; Jorr-leif, “wild boar heir/legacy”) - Ulfric's Steward with a massive moustache

Oengul (Old Norse; An-goll “ancestor/father battle/noise”; less likely, Ç«ngull “fish hook”) - Windhelm's blacksmith

Onmund (Old Norse; Anu-mund, “ancestor protection”) - Mage who doesn't want to go to a Nordic ruin because it's "wrong"

Sifnar (Old Norse; Sif(jar)-ny, “wife/affinity new”) - Ulfric's cook

Stenvar (Scandinavian; Steinn-var, “stone defender/warrior”) - Steel-clad sellsword

Thrynn (Old Norse; Þorr-nyr, “thunder new/young”) - Thieves Guild hired muscle, ex bandit

Tolfdir (Old Norse; Þorr -ulfr-dyr, “thunder wolf deer/animal” or –dyrr “precious”) - Kind mage scholar/instructor

Ulfric (Old Norse; Ulfr-riki, “wolf power/authority”) - Jarl of Windhelm

Wuunferth (Germanic; Ven-ferð, “probable journey/dealings”) - Ulfric's court wizard

Yrsarald (Old Norse; Yrr-halda, “wild/furious protector/keeper”) - Ulfric's military advisor

scrptrx
June 29, 2014

More of my invented language, which as the protagonist understands it is called Norren:

Lisari klus skap' ovulari vanklus 
Sa'r hvol Reh skul finstur 
Par vathvet hila ik grim 
Rekjatur ast Ha klus

Krofton er temetur ast unath 
Ervthaskaar frafarig 
Thath er lov ik da sil naer da tilbas Brii 
Lov Dibella lova

The brightest light creates the darkest shadow
That's where She'll be found
For whatever hides in the darkness
Is chased away by Her light

Corruption is tamed by pleasure
Willingly surrendering
There's a song in your soul when you bow to Beauty
The song Dibella sings

"La da kloft
Zeik skul da lova
Sovenda
Ti morg
Guttela da med losk
Par leith da faras

Da megas siglar fjar
Ti hafen se authar
Med mjoth ath goll
Ast da kloft ath foten

Regen megan
Hvertid da fulgar
Leithrathar
Ath virntar

Engen se Sovngarde
Skul gypta losk ath sael
Da skul era hlira
Ti endatid

Nuk sovende
Zeik ki skul eigna
Enklaar her sitjar
Ath lova da sovenda"

Lay down your head
I'll sing you
To sleep
To morrow
Bless you with love
For the path that you travel

May you sail far
To the seas of fortune
With mead and gold
At your head and your feet

May the gods
Always watch over you
Guide you on your way
And protect you

May Sovngarde's fields
Bring love and happiness
Be warm
To the end of days

Now fall off to sleep
I will not keep you
I'll just sit here
and sing you to sleep

"O Dath…

O Dath…

Kir veita anar eruva….

Hvera thola ast enda

Mina hanten se iz fanga.

Tid ath Mizkun ers sarka

Da sil ti Shor zeik skul bera."

"O Death
Please give another year.
All endure at the end
My hands of ice grip.
Time and Mercy are absent
Your soul to Shor I will bear."

by scrptrx
June 29, 2014

More of my invented language, which as the protagonist understands it is called Norren:

Lisari klus skap' ovulari vanklus 
Sa'r hvol Reh skul finstur 
Par vathvet hila ik grim 
Rekjatur ast Ha klus

Krofton er temetur ast unath 
Ervthaskaar frafarig 
Thath er lov ik da sil naer da tilbas Brii 
Lov Dibella lova

The brightest light creates the darkest shadow
That's where She'll be found
For whatever hides in the darkness
Is chased away by Her light

Corruption is tamed by pleasure
Willingly surrendering
There's a song in your soul when you bow to Beauty
The song Dibella sings

"La da kloft
Zeik skul da lova
Sovenda
Ti morg
Guttela da med losk
Par leith da faras

Da megas siglar fjar
Ti hafen se authar
Med mjoth ath goll
Ast da kloft ath foten

Regen megan
Hvertid da fulgar
Leithrathar
Ath virntar

Engen se Sovngarde
Skul gypta losk ath sael
Da skul era hlira
Ti endatid

Nuk sovende
Zeik ki skul eigna
Enklaar her sitjar
Ath lova da sovenda"

Lay down your head
I'll sing you
To sleep
To morrow
Bless you with love
For the path that you travel

May you sail far
To the seas of fortune
With mead and gold
At your head and your feet

May the gods
Always watch over you
Guide you on your way
And protect you

May Sovngarde's fields
Bring love and happiness
Be warm
To the end of days

Now fall off to sleep
I will not keep you
I'll just sit here
and sing you to sleep

"O Dath…

O Dath…

Kir veita anar eruva….

Hvera thola ast enda

Mina hanten se iz fanga.

Tid ath Mizkun ers sarka

Da sil ti Shor zeik skul bera."

"O Death
Please give another year.
All endure at the end
My hands of ice grip.
Time and Mercy are absent
Your soul to Shor I will bear."

<<  <  1  2 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.