Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dissertation on Conlangs

<<  <  1  2 

Dinhaalvut
May 3, 2015

Do you know/speak any other conlangs apart from Dovahzul?

I've attempted some Quenya, utterly failed.

How fluent in Dovahzul are you? (know a couple of words/speak at a basic level/speak quite well/fluent)

Meh, I speak at the basic level. I havn't been doing this for very long.

Why did you choose to start learning Dovahzul, other than enjoying Skyrim?

This question... I do not feel as though learning Dovahzul detracts from my skyrim experience; the opposite, in fact. It helps me immerse myself and is fun.

Where do you use Dovahzul, both online and offline?

I often use it to mess with people. 

How do you feel about community additions to the language, such as non-canon vocabulary or grammatical structures?

It certainly makes it easier to speak. However, if we invent too much we get a whole new language, and while that would be an amazing side project, no.

Is it important for you that the community's form of Dovahzul is as accurate to the canon as possible?

Yes. We're fleshing out the language, not changing or re-inventing it. That's how it should be.

Do you think Dovahzul is easy to learn?

Mildly. The only thing that I have difficulty with is learning the runes, and that's because I use the english letters and these are so different.

I do love surveys. Feel free to use my feedback.

by Dinhaalvut
May 3, 2015

I've attempted some Quenya, utterly failed.

How fluent in Dovahzul are you? (know a couple of words/speak at a basic level/speak quite well/fluent)

Meh, I speak at the basic level. I havn't been doing this for very long.

This question... I do not feel as though learning Dovahzul detracts from my skyrim experience; the opposite, in fact. It helps me immerse myself and is fun.

I often use it to mess with people. 

How do you feel about community additions to the language, such as non-canon vocabulary or grammatical structures?

It certainly makes it easier to speak. However, if we invent too much we get a whole new language, and while that would be an amazing side project, no.

Is it important for you that the community's form of Dovahzul is as accurate to the canon as possible?

Yes. We're fleshing out the language, not changing or re-inventing it. That's how it should be.

Mildly. The only thing that I have difficulty with is learning the runes, and that's because I use the english letters and these are so different.

I do love surveys. Feel free to use my feedback.

Noexecute17
May 18, 2015

Hello there!

(I'm not much on the site because of exams, but I'll soon provide my services again at full glance).

>Properly speaking, no. I tried to learn Elvish, but I was still a youngling back then and I didn't had the courage to learn such a complex language at the time. But who knows, maybe I'll be willing to try again in the near future. However, I am currently creating a conlang and naturally, I practice it.

>Thanks to the translation job I am doing on this site, I have a quite rich vocabulary, but my grammar is a bit rusty. So I'm being able to express myself quite well, but I need time to build up correct sentences in my lil' head.

>I am currently doing literature studies in order to become a living language teacher (either French of Finnish). So I thought that studying at least one conlang would help me to improve in my learning skills. And since I was already bathing in the universe of Skyrim for quite a time when I thought about that, Dovahzul was the obvious choice to me.

>I use it mostly IRL. I am a tabletop role-play game master and The Elder Scrolls's universe is one of our favourite (it plays great with the gameplay system of 13th Age btw). So I get to use it at least once or twice a week.

>For me, languages are meant to evolve and to be shaped by their speakers who use it through the times. So I don't think this is so importent being close to the original one, especially since it's a pretty recent language. So it needs some sharping, and this is the better way to do so.

>Protip: For a Finnish-speaker, every language is easy to learn.

/SARCASM
More seriously tho', it is indeed quite easy to get along with it's grammar. But its peculiar lexicon requires a bit more practice, at least in my opinon.

Hope my answers serves you well. :)

by Noexecute17
May 18, 2015

Hello there!

(I'm not much on the site because of exams, but I'll soon provide my services again at full glance).

>Properly speaking, no. I tried to learn Elvish, but I was still a youngling back then and I didn't had the courage to learn such a complex language at the time. But who knows, maybe I'll be willing to try again in the near future. However, I am currently creating a conlang and naturally, I practice it.

>Thanks to the translation job I am doing on this site, I have a quite rich vocabulary, but my grammar is a bit rusty. So I'm being able to express myself quite well, but I need time to build up correct sentences in my lil' head.

>I am currently doing literature studies in order to become a living language teacher (either French of Finnish). So I thought that studying at least one conlang would help me to improve in my learning skills. And since I was already bathing in the universe of Skyrim for quite a time when I thought about that, Dovahzul was the obvious choice to me.

>I use it mostly IRL. I am a tabletop role-play game master and The Elder Scrolls's universe is one of our favourite (it plays great with the gameplay system of 13th Age btw). So I get to use it at least once or twice a week.

>For me, languages are meant to evolve and to be shaped by their speakers who use it through the times. So I don't think this is so importent being close to the original one, especially since it's a pretty recent language. So it needs some sharping, and this is the better way to do so.

>Protip: For a Finnish-speaker, every language is easy to learn.

/SARCASM
More seriously tho', it is indeed quite easy to get along with it's grammar. But its peculiar lexicon requires a bit more practice, at least in my opinon.

Hope my answers serves you well. :)

Ahbiilok
June 5, 2015

I don't speak any other conlangs, but I speak english, spanish, and french fluently.

I can say that I am pretty much fluent, to the point that I could have a conversation

I thought it would be cool to just be a part of this community

I write literature in dovahzul, but i dont use it offline

I believe it adds to the structure of the language, and that it helps construct the language

It doesn't exactly matter to me

I believe it is somewhat easy to learn.

You hereby have my official consent to use these answers in any way, shape, or form.

-Ahbiilok

by Ahbiilok
June 5, 2015

I don't speak any other conlangs, but I speak english, spanish, and french fluently.

I can say that I am pretty much fluent, to the point that I could have a conversation

I thought it would be cool to just be a part of this community

I write literature in dovahzul, but i dont use it offline

I believe it adds to the structure of the language, and that it helps construct the language

It doesn't exactly matter to me

I believe it is somewhat easy to learn.

You hereby have my official consent to use these answers in any way, shape, or form.

-Ahbiilok

<<  <  1  2 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.