Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Starting Anew

<<  <  1  2  3 

Orkar Isber
March 6, 2016

So what are we going to do now? Are we resetting the language and building up everything again from the canon words we have using our better understanding and debating new words or are we keeping our current non canon words?

by Orkar Isber
March 6, 2016

So what are we going to do now? Are we resetting the language and building up everything again from the canon words we have using our better understanding and debating new words or are we keeping our current non canon words?

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 6, 2016
Orkar Isber

All current non-canon words have been relegated to the legacy dictionary and will not be used going forward. The current dictionary contains only canon words at this time.

Our current objective is to flesh out the English-Dragon dictionary as much as possible using the available vocabulary. For example, there is no official word for "soldier", but kendov 'warrior' and sovrahzun 'mercenary' could be listed as close, suggested translations. You can suggest translations in the thread here.

I have no immediate plans to reintroduce the concept of invented vocabulary. Before then, I want to flesh out the canon vocabulary as much as possible, and give everyone an opportunity to learn it. There are a lot of headaches that come with invented vocabulary, and it's not something I'm eager to get into again unless I'm 100% confident it'll be the right thing to do.

by paarthurnax
March 6, 2016
Orkar Isber

All current non-canon words have been relegated to the legacy dictionary and will not be used going forward. The current dictionary contains only canon words at this time.

Our current objective is to flesh out the English-Dragon dictionary as much as possible using the available vocabulary. For example, there is no official word for "soldier", but kendov 'warrior' and sovrahzun 'mercenary' could be listed as close, suggested translations. You can suggest translations in the thread here.

I have no immediate plans to reintroduce the concept of invented vocabulary. Before then, I want to flesh out the canon vocabulary as much as possible, and give everyone an opportunity to learn it. There are a lot of headaches that come with invented vocabulary, and it's not something I'm eager to get into again unless I'm 100% confident it'll be the right thing to do.

Orkar Isber
March 6, 2016

That is very impressive and a great idea you have my respect and praises for it.

Maybe a word like "ready warrior" comes close to soldier as this basicly was the idea behind it, so you have an armie avalaiable any time instead of having to raise an army.

Anyway im totally on bord =) Great way to go. I think in the long run we have to invent new words but that can be done when we really are confident enough. 

Many words surely can be substituted by using 2 canon words combined

by Orkar Isber
March 6, 2016

That is very impressive and a great idea you have my respect and praises for it.

Maybe a word like "ready warrior" comes close to soldier as this basicly was the idea behind it, so you have an armie avalaiable any time instead of having to raise an army.

Anyway im totally on bord =) Great way to go. I think in the long run we have to invent new words but that can be done when we really are confident enough. 

Many words surely can be substituted by using 2 canon words combined

Ahmiliik
May 14, 2016

Phoenix must burn away to ash and cinders, to rise again.

by Ahmiliik
May 14, 2016

Phoenix must burn away to ash and cinders, to rise again.

<<  <  1  2  3 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.