Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  17  18  19  20 > >>  

PencilSword
February 25, 2016
I had abandoned this website for a while after I detached from Skyrim for a short period of time. Then when I came back, I noticed that all the modern words were removed. I was just wondering what happened, if its the recent quarantine of files, or whatever else. And its actually not just modern words. Words such as "out" would not translate.
by PencilSword
February 25, 2016
I had abandoned this website for a while after I detached from Skyrim for a short period of time. Then when I came back, I noticed that all the modern words were removed. I was just wondering what happened, if its the recent quarantine of files, or whatever else. And its actually not just modern words. Words such as "out" would not translate.

PencilSword
February 25, 2016
@PelniirZahkrii I just found out about the legacy translator... But out, assist, help, tounge, and language do not work.
by PencilSword
February 25, 2016
@PelniirZahkrii I just found out about the legacy translator... But out, assist, help, tounge, and language do not work.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 25, 2016
PelniirZahkrii

Hi PelniirZahkrii, non-canon words like hiif "to help" and tinvok 'language" are no longer part of the dictionary.

This thread is for suggesting possible canon translations. For example, maybe aak "to guide" could be used to mean "help", or maybe tinvaak "speech" could be used to mean "language". Once those suggestions have been made, those words will appear in the translator.

by paarthurnax
February 25, 2016
PelniirZahkrii

Hi PelniirZahkrii, non-canon words like hiif "to help" and tinvok 'language" are no longer part of the dictionary.

This thread is for suggesting possible canon translations. For example, maybe aak "to guide" could be used to mean "help", or maybe tinvaak "speech" could be used to mean "language". Once those suggestions have been made, those words will appear in the translator.

Frinmulaar
February 27, 2016
The following verb forms need direct translations:

ate -> naak
begged -> bolog
bled -> sosaal
brought -> drun
buried -> deyto
came -> bo/meyz (Currently also returns "motaad")
combatted -> vukein
cried -> rein/zaan/luv
denied -> qahnaar
dignified -> nonvul
dreamt -> hahnu
emptied -> nil
faded -> feim (Currently also returns "faraan")
fell -> mah (Currently also returns "fel")
fought -> krif
found -> siiv
froze/frozen -> diin
gave/given -> ofan
kept -> dein
lain -> nok
met -> grind
ran -> ru
rivalled -> ronit
sanctified -> revak
sang/sung -> lovaas
saw/seen -> koraav
shine -> viin
shrink/shrank/shrunk/shrunken -> mal
slew -> kriin
sought -> yah/paar
stank -> pook
stood -> kriist
stung -> nin
struck/stricken -> nos
submitted -> qiilaan
swore -> vaat
travelled -> wundun
tried -> unt
understood -> mindoraan
undid/undone -> vo
went/gone -> bo
wore/worn -> ahtiid
worship/worshipped -> zein (both are unknown now)
wrote/written -> pel
by Frinmulaar
February 27, 2016
The following verb forms need direct translations:

ate -> naak

begged -> bolog

bled -> sosaal

brought -> drun

buried -> deyto

came -> bo/meyz (Currently also returns "motaad")

combatted -> vukein

cried -> rein/zaan/luv

denied -> qahnaar

dignified -> nonvul

dreamt -> hahnu

emptied -> nil

faded -> feim (Currently also returns "faraan")

fell -> mah (Currently also returns "fel")

fought -> krif

found -> siiv

froze/frozen -> diin

gave/given -> ofan

kept -> dein

lain -> nok

met -> grind

ran -> ru

rivalled -> ronit

sanctified -> revak

sang/sung -> lovaas

saw/seen -> koraav

shine -> viin

shrink/shrank/shrunk/shrunken -> mal

slew -> kriin

sought -> yah/paar

stank -> pook

stood -> kriist

stung -> nin

struck/stricken -> nos

submitted -> qiilaan

swore -> vaat

travelled -> wundun

tried -> unt

understood -> mindoraan

undid/undone -> vo

went/gone -> bo

wore/worn -> ahtiid

worship/worshipped -> zein (both are unknown now)

wrote/written -> pel

Kahvutoor
March 5, 2016

Someone mentioned earlier a translation for "love". Could frin come in under that? Believe it currently means warmth and passion, which isn't that far from the feeling of love.

Not that dragons require love, so one has to be creative! 

Also, a form of goodbye or farewell could be pruzah wundunne, good travels. Not sure if two words go in under this, but I know I had some trouble finding a kind of "goodbye" for use in conversations. Kos pruzah would have the same meaning, ie. Be Well. 

by Kahvutoor
March 5, 2016

Someone mentioned earlier a translation for "love". Could frin come in under that? Believe it currently means warmth and passion, which isn't that far from the feeling of love.

Not that dragons require love, so one has to be creative! 

Also, a form of goodbye or farewell could be pruzah wundunne, good travels. Not sure if two words go in under this, but I know I had some trouble finding a kind of "goodbye" for use in conversations. Kos pruzah would have the same meaning, ie. Be Well. 

Orkar Isber
March 6, 2016

I guess we can do a poetic approach like shakespear and combine 2 or 3 words to create the desired effect similiar to Thuum.

Love as example could be zok frin med (most passionate liking?) a soldier could be kendov mir juniil (warrior loyal to his king) or something alike, and so on and so forth. what do you think of that? I also had the impression that some official phrases like Drem Yol Lok are rather aimed to invoke a certain emotion rather then a direct exchange of thoughts

by Orkar Isber
March 6, 2016

I guess we can do a poetic approach like shakespear and combine 2 or 3 words to create the desired effect similiar to Thuum.

Love as example could be zok frin med (most passionate liking?) a soldier could be kendov mir juniil (warrior loyal to his king) or something alike, and so on and so forth. what do you think of that? I also had the impression that some official phrases like Drem Yol Lok are rather aimed to invoke a certain emotion rather then a direct exchange of thoughts

Liis
Administrator
March 6, 2016
@Orkar Isber,

Keep in mind that "Med" means "alike/similar to" and not the sense of "to enjoy".
by Liis
March 6, 2016
@Orkar Isber,

Keep in mind that "Med" means "alike/similar to" and not the sense of "to enjoy".

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 6, 2016

@Orkar Isber, the idea here is to catalogue English words that have close equivalents or approximations in canon. In our example, the meaning of kendov is close enough to "soldier" that we can add an English-Dragon entry for "soldier" that points to kendov. Then when someone searches for "soldier" in the Translator, kendov will appear as a suggestion option.

Phrases like kendov mir junii or zok frin are too clumsy and unnatural to suggest when single words like kendov 'warrior' and smoliin 'passion' will do. The goal isn't to be semantically precise, just catalogue words that have close canon equivalents.

by paarthurnax
March 6, 2016

@Orkar Isber, the idea here is to catalogue English words that have close equivalents or approximations in canon. In our example, the meaning of kendov is close enough to "soldier" that we can add an English-Dragon entry for "soldier" that points to kendov. Then when someone searches for "soldier" in the Translator, kendov will appear as a suggestion option.

Phrases like kendov mir junii or zok frin are too clumsy and unnatural to suggest when single words like kendov 'warrior' and smoliin 'passion' will do. The goal isn't to be semantically precise, just catalogue words that have close canon equivalents.

Dezonikso
March 14, 2016
@paarthurnax, once the community is truly comfortable with the language as it was first given to us and we start becoming more open to possible community-suggested, highly filtered and reviewed words, I think it would be a good idea to start by first adding in certain compound words (made only from multiple canon words) where the community largely agrees on a base translation, whereupon we can then add similar definitions later on. Is this not a good idea?

Ex. If we were to decide as a community that "lokluv" would translate as "rain", we would add it to the dictionary as a semi-canon word, being that it is made of two canon words.

This is, of course, purely hypothetical and heavily dependent on the decision as to whether we do eventually add new words or if we leave the Canon dictionary as is forever. And yes I do understand that it is not something that is on the plate at the moment. Just offering a suggestion as a side note.
by Dezonikso
March 14, 2016
@paarthurnax, once the community is truly comfortable with the language as it was first given to us and we start becoming more open to possible community-suggested, highly filtered and reviewed words, I think it would be a good idea to start by first adding in certain compound words (made only from multiple canon words) where the community largely agrees on a base translation, whereupon we can then add similar definitions later on. Is this not a good idea?

Ex. If we were to decide as a community that "lokluv" would translate as "rain", we would add it to the dictionary as a semi-canon word, being that it is made of two canon words.

This is, of course, purely hypothetical and heavily dependent on the decision as to whether we do eventually add new words or if we leave the Canon dictionary as is forever. And yes I do understand that it is not something that is on the plate at the moment. Just offering a suggestion as a side note.

STARKILLER7851
March 20, 2016

Translations for "goddess" and "crystal" seem to be missing. I've no idea what words work for those, but yeah.

by STARKILLER7851
March 20, 2016

Translations for "goddess" and "crystal" seem to be missing. I've no idea what words work for those, but yeah.

paarthurnax
Administrator
March 20, 2016
STARKILLER7851

My suggestions would be rah 'god' and golz 'stone'.

by paarthurnax
March 20, 2016
STARKILLER7851

My suggestions would be rah 'god' and golz 'stone'.

Dezonikso
March 21, 2016
@STARKILLER7851 For "goddess" I would perhaps say "rekrah" or "she-god". As for "crystal" I would say "viingolz" or "shine-stone". Those would be fair translations, geh?
by Dezonikso
March 21, 2016
@STARKILLER7851 For "goddess" I would perhaps say "rekrah" or "she-god". As for "crystal" I would say "viingolz" or "shine-stone". Those would be fair translations, geh?

Dezonikso
March 21, 2016
Forgive me. Zu'u smoliin grindrot. I may like the use of compounds a little too much. Hahaha
by Dezonikso
March 21, 2016
Forgive me. Zu'u smoliin grindrot. I may like the use of compounds a little too much. Hahaha

STARKILLER7851
March 21, 2016

Thanks. Now about the word "digress"

I need these translations for a discussion between Paarthurnax, the goddess Neptune and her husband in a fanfic I'm writing.

by STARKILLER7851
March 21, 2016

Thanks. Now about the word "digress"

I need these translations for a discussion between Paarthurnax, the goddess Neptune and her husband in a fanfic I'm writing.

Dezonikso
March 21, 2016
In the case of "digress", I'd just use "rovaan" which is "to wander". Contextually, if you were to say "zu'u rovaan" or possibly even just "rovaan" in a conversation where you or a character was getting off topic, it could very easily be assumed that you mean "I wander from the main topic" and nothing more would need to be said I would think.
by Dezonikso
March 21, 2016
In the case of "digress", I'd just use "rovaan" which is "to wander". Contextually, if you were to say "zu'u rovaan" or possibly even just "rovaan" in a conversation where you or a character was getting off topic, it could very easily be assumed that you mean "I wander from the main topic" and nothing more would need to be said I would think.
<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  17  18  19  20 > >>