Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Common Speech

<<  <  1  2  3 

Myufi
April 20, 2013

'Aaz', 'mercy', used as a substitute for 'you're welcome' after somebody says "thank you".

Grahk?

by Myufi
April 20, 2013

'Aaz', 'mercy', used as a substitute for 'you're welcome' after somebody says "thank you".

Grahk?

scrptrx
April 20, 2013

In German, "bitte" is both "please" and "you're welcome". 

"Kir" (to please) could be used in this way. 

So "Please? Thank you. You're welcome" in German is "Bitte? Danke. Bitte".

Dragon could be: "Kir? Nox. Kir." Literally, "Please? Gratitude. Please."

But naturally Dragon doesn't have to mimic German.

Perhaps the French "mercy" ("merci", "thank you") suits the exchange just fine.

"Kir? Nox. Aaz."

by scrptrx
April 20, 2013

In German, "bitte" is both "please" and "you're welcome". 

"Kir" (to please) could be used in this way. 

So "Please? Thank you. You're welcome" in German is "Bitte? Danke. Bitte".

Dragon could be: "Kir? Nox. Kir." Literally, "Please? Gratitude. Please."

But naturally Dragon doesn't have to mimic German.

Perhaps the French "mercy" ("merci", "thank you") suits the exchange just fine.

"Kir? Nox. Aaz."

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 20, 2013

I think both could be used in that way, it gives us more options to phrase things and gives "Kir" more use and versatility.

by paarthurnax
April 20, 2013

I think both could be used in that way, it gives us more options to phrase things and gives "Kir" more use and versatility.

RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Indeed and also I like the idea that the dragon language can span other languages that exist. I mean, I know that's not the point and that Bethesda is stationed in an English speaking country but does that mean it has to be primarily english? I think not, there are other ideas and meanings in words that belong to other languages that don't really exist in English. None in particular come to mind but who are we to say that the Dragon Language, or Dovahzul I've just learned it's called which is utterly bad-ass (can I say that? *checks forum rules*) seems okay, has to be English rooted and anything else is not applicable? I guess that puts a lot on the higher ups but its just my opinion and nothing more. Could also be because I've learned French and German (Disclaimer: Not and expert) and I love both languages. There are phrases used in other languages that Dovahzul could benefit from I believe to enrich it.

by RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Indeed and also I like the idea that the dragon language can span other languages that exist. I mean, I know that's not the point and that Bethesda is stationed in an English speaking country but does that mean it has to be primarily english? I think not, there are other ideas and meanings in words that belong to other languages that don't really exist in English. None in particular come to mind but who are we to say that the Dragon Language, or Dovahzul I've just learned it's called which is utterly bad-ass (can I say that? *checks forum rules*) seems okay, has to be English rooted and anything else is not applicable? I guess that puts a lot on the higher ups but its just my opinion and nothing more. Could also be because I've learned French and German (Disclaimer: Not and expert) and I love both languages. There are phrases used in other languages that Dovahzul could benefit from I believe to enrich it.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 21, 2013
RedCartographer

bad-ass (can I say that? *checks forum rules*) 

This is a fansite for an M-rated game, so swear away! (just don't swear at people)

We have quite a diverse community here and I think Dovahzul would greatly benefit from concepts of other languages.  Like you I've learned German (no expert either) and I love the language, and you can probably see a lot of German influence in at least some of the words I've created.

I really think Dovahzul is also developing its own voice too, which is really neat to see unfold.  The way certain prefixes/sufixes come together doesn't happen in English or other languages.

by paarthurnax
April 21, 2013
RedCartographer

bad-ass (can I say that? *checks forum rules*) 

This is a fansite for an M-rated game, so swear away! (just don't swear at people)

We have quite a diverse community here and I think Dovahzul would greatly benefit from concepts of other languages.  Like you I've learned German (no expert either) and I love the language, and you can probably see a lot of German influence in at least some of the words I've created.

I really think Dovahzul is also developing its own voice too, which is really neat to see unfold.  The way certain prefixes/sufixes come together doesn't happen in English or other languages.

RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Agreed, I really enjoy how it's developing.

by RedCartographer
April 21, 2013

Agreed, I really enjoy how it's developing.

Myufi
April 23, 2013

Indeed! I find it very interesting to see Dovahzul develop its own linguistic characteristics and preferences. There are quite a few suffixes!

I like how paarthurnax pointed out that to say "I will make a man out of you" is "Zu'u vermuniin hi" or something to that effect.

I notice that some unique sufffixes are not naturally used very often in general chatter, and 'los' is used far more often than it is known to, though.

by Myufi
April 23, 2013

Indeed! I find it very interesting to see Dovahzul develop its own linguistic characteristics and preferences. There are quite a few suffixes!

I like how paarthurnax pointed out that to say "I will make a man out of you" is "Zu'u vermuniin hi" or something to that effect.

I notice that some unique sufffixes are not naturally used very often in general chatter, and 'los' is used far more often than it is known to, though.

<<  <  1  2  3 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.