A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Ruvgein's Writers Nook

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

Ruvgein
September 11, 2017
Hahdremro    What do you guys think?

Well, this could get pretty involved.  Feel free to move to a PM with me if you don't want all the details so public.

First, it looks like you've got things pretty well figured out, which is good.  So my first question is: "do you have a story for it?"

Some people are good worldbuilders, but bad storytellers.  Some have it the other way 'round.   Some might be good at both, but then their characters are not interesting. 

What I'm saying is everyone has their strong points and weak ones.  I think worldbuilding is strong for you, because it sounds pretty cool to me.  So now I'm asking on the other parts.

by Ruvgein
September 11, 2017
Hahdremro    What do you guys think?

Well, this could get pretty involved.  Feel free to move to a PM with me if you don't want all the details so public.

First, it looks like you've got things pretty well figured out, which is good.  So my first question is: "do you have a story for it?"

Some people are good worldbuilders, but bad storytellers.  Some have it the other way 'round.   Some might be good at both, but then their characters are not interesting. 

What I'm saying is everyone has their strong points and weak ones.  I think worldbuilding is strong for you, because it sounds pretty cool to me.  So now I'm asking on the other parts.

Hahdremro
September 12, 2017
Ruvgein

I have a few possible story ideas that take inspiration from Harriet Tubman's Underground Railroad as well as historical accounts of fugitive Jews hiding in Nazi Germany. I'm working on creating stronger characters, but I have plenty of ideas, including a turncoat Watchman, a belligerent but cowardly djinni, and a clever but cautious kitsune. I don't have anything concrete yet, but there are options available, and I'm looking forward to expanding upon this world.

I'm not quite an expert on historical world religions, so I have a lot of research still left to do, but I feel like this is something that would benefit from having multiple people working on it. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to discuss them. I'm fine with talking about it here for now, where other people can join in, or we can talk in PM if that works better for you.

by Hahdremro
September 12, 2017
Ruvgein

I have a few possible story ideas that take inspiration from Harriet Tubman's Underground Railroad as well as historical accounts of fugitive Jews hiding in Nazi Germany. I'm working on creating stronger characters, but I have plenty of ideas, including a turncoat Watchman, a belligerent but cowardly djinni, and a clever but cautious kitsune. I don't have anything concrete yet, but there are options available, and I'm looking forward to expanding upon this world.

I'm not quite an expert on historical world religions, so I have a lot of research still left to do, but I feel like this is something that would benefit from having multiple people working on it. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to discuss them. I'm fine with talking about it here for now, where other people can join in, or we can talk in PM if that works better for you.

Ruvgein
September 12, 2017
Hahdremro

I'm not quite an expert on historical world religions, so I have a lot of research still left to do, but I feel like this is something that would benefit from having multiple people working on it. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to discuss them.

Anything in particular?

by Ruvgein
September 12, 2017
Hahdremro

I'm not quite an expert on historical world religions, so I have a lot of research still left to do, but I feel like this is something that would benefit from having multiple people working on it. If you have any ideas, I'd be happy to discuss them.

Anything in particular?

Hahdremro
September 13, 2017
Ruvgein

Anything in particular?

If you have any useful knowledge of mythology and religions, and you can think of ways to integrate any specific spirits or mythological creatures into this setting, I'd love to hear about it. This is meant to be more of a setting than just a single story, and I'm hoping to make at least a few short stories in this universe. Any ideas for characters and creatures to add into this world would serve to further flesh it out, as would ideas for the plots of short stories.

Also, I'm working on going into more detail about the defecting Watchman character. In his story I hope I to further develop the Watchmen as an world power, but I'm somewhat unfamiliar with how to treat the bureaucracy and corruption that would surely plague such a massive organization. I'll try to read up on how best to implement this concept, but I don't really know where to look. Would Orwell's work be a good place to start, since it's such a vital inspiration for the setting, or would a real world example be more advisable?

by Hahdremro
September 13, 2017
Ruvgein

Anything in particular?

If you have any useful knowledge of mythology and religions, and you can think of ways to integrate any specific spirits or mythological creatures into this setting, I'd love to hear about it. This is meant to be more of a setting than just a single story, and I'm hoping to make at least a few short stories in this universe. Any ideas for characters and creatures to add into this world would serve to further flesh it out, as would ideas for the plots of short stories.

Also, I'm working on going into more detail about the defecting Watchman character. In his story I hope I to further develop the Watchmen as an world power, but I'm somewhat unfamiliar with how to treat the bureaucracy and corruption that would surely plague such a massive organization. I'll try to read up on how best to implement this concept, but I don't really know where to look. Would Orwell's work be a good place to start, since it's such a vital inspiration for the setting, or would a real world example be more advisable?

Ruvgein
September 13, 2017

Take inspiration from everything. Yeah, Orwell. And for real world, read up on Nazi Germany and modern South Korea in terms of how they run the country. One's fascism, the other communism. Should give you ideas. As for creatures, there's Wikipedia's list of legendary creatures Which should give you some help, just look for lesser known stuff ether by scrolling thru all the letters or going right to lesser known regions.

by Ruvgein
September 13, 2017

Take inspiration from everything. Yeah, Orwell. And for real world, read up on Nazi Germany and modern South Korea in terms of how they run the country. One's fascism, the other communism. Should give you ideas. As for creatures, there's Wikipedia's list of legendary creatures Which should give you some help, just look for lesser known stuff ether by scrolling thru all the letters or going right to lesser known regions.

Hail Thuri
September 14, 2017
Good. Ruvgein's on.

Thank you for the constructive criticism. Will include those things. About to rewrite it so anything else you want to add?

Also, Hahdremo, great idea. I am well versed in Greek, roman, Norse, and some Egyptian mythology, so can help you with that. I think that this can evolve into something worth my precious reading time.
by Hail Thuri
September 14, 2017
Good. Ruvgein's on.

Thank you for the constructive criticism. Will include those things. About to rewrite it so anything else you want to add?

Also, Hahdremo, great idea. I am well versed in Greek, roman, Norse, and some Egyptian mythology, so can help you with that. I think that this can evolve into something worth my precious reading time.

Ruvgein
September 14, 2017
Keinthurah

Nope, I think that's it.

by Ruvgein
September 14, 2017
Keinthurah

Nope, I think that's it.

Hahdremro
September 15, 2017
Keinthurah

I'd love any input you're willing to give! My focus will be more upon the creatures of myth, and less upon the deities themselves, my reasoning being that such powerful entities would likely have been destroyed early on in the war. All that's left are stragglers, essentially, and I'd love a varied cast of beasts and spirits to keep things interesting.

If you want to PM me, I'd love to discuss it further and throw a few ideas back and forth. This fictional world will be so much easier to develop if I'm not working alone!

by Hahdremro
September 15, 2017
Keinthurah

I'd love any input you're willing to give! My focus will be more upon the creatures of myth, and less upon the deities themselves, my reasoning being that such powerful entities would likely have been destroyed early on in the war. All that's left are stragglers, essentially, and I'd love a varied cast of beasts and spirits to keep things interesting.

If you want to PM me, I'd love to discuss it further and throw a few ideas back and forth. This fictional world will be so much easier to develop if I'm not working alone!

Sildolok
November 18, 2017

Greetings once again, fadonne!

I have one simple question for you: as i've been getting into poetry lately, and have been using some words that sound quite eloquent. An example is the word "Thine".

Sildoyol and I have been debating whether words: Thee and thine signify you are speaking about yourself or are referencing another person. If it is referencing another person, what is a word that sounds just as eloquent but referers to yourself?

Thank you for the time.

~ Sildolok 

by Sildolok
November 18, 2017

Greetings once again, fadonne!

I have one simple question for you: as i've been getting into poetry lately, and have been using some words that sound quite eloquent. An example is the word "Thine".

Sildoyol and I have been debating whether words: Thee and thine signify you are speaking about yourself or are referencing another person. If it is referencing another person, what is a word that sounds just as eloquent but referers to yourself?

Thank you for the time.

~ Sildolok 

Ruvgein
November 18, 2017
Sildolok,

Thee and Thine both mean "you"

The best advice I can give is to read Shakespeare's sonnets and study the language he uses, as there are lots of those kinds of words. My personal thoughts are that, just like writers are told to read booka, poets should be told to read poems. I've seen vast differences in skill in those that do and those who've never heard of Edgar Allan Poe.

With poems, it's hard to say what's right and wrong, so all I can say is to immerse yourself in the famous poets and then do what feels right when you write your own.
by Ruvgein
November 18, 2017
Sildolok,

Thee and Thine both mean "you"

The best advice I can give is to read Shakespeare's sonnets and study the language he uses, as there are lots of those kinds of words. My personal thoughts are that, just like writers are told to read booka, poets should be told to read poems. I've seen vast differences in skill in those that do and those who've never heard of Edgar Allan Poe.

With poems, it's hard to say what's right and wrong, so all I can say is to immerse yourself in the famous poets and then do what feels right when you write your own.

Zinrahzul
November 18, 2017
According to my understanding, Thee is "you" as the object of a sentence (I love thee) and thine is "yours" (I am thine)
by Zinrahzul
November 18, 2017
According to my understanding, Thee is "you" as the object of a sentence (I love thee) and thine is "yours" (I am thine)

Fronlaasfrin
February 15, 2018

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14J3xYEhS2LiKOiTUj445ZjhaYRJDWYZFFzuCwDjA71w/edit

This is a TES story I just finished writing. Hope you enjoy :)

(this now contains two stories, "Lunoldr and the Dov" and "Alternate Tamriel: Falmer Vampires")

by Fronlaasfrin
February 15, 2018

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14J3xYEhS2LiKOiTUj445ZjhaYRJDWYZFFzuCwDjA71w/edit

This is a TES story I just finished writing. Hope you enjoy :)

(this now contains two stories, "Lunoldr and the Dov" and "Alternate Tamriel: Falmer Vampires")

Duryoljot
February 20, 2018
I myself have recently transitioned to poetry primarily. I find that I can use my strongest storytelling skills of imagery and metaphor best in poetry, however it takes years of practice of both poetry and prose alongside obsessive reading to effectively write consistently.
To everyone here, I strongly recommend researching and employing imagery in all forms of writing. It's a vital part of the process, and immerses an audience like nothing else. Pity the reader, my friends!
by Duryoljot
February 20, 2018
I myself have recently transitioned to poetry primarily. I find that I can use my strongest storytelling skills of imagery and metaphor best in poetry, however it takes years of practice of both poetry and prose alongside obsessive reading to effectively write consistently.

To everyone here, I strongly recommend researching and employing imagery in all forms of writing. It's a vital part of the process, and immerses an audience like nothing else. Pity the reader, my friends!

Zinrahzul
March 1, 2018
I'll post my Skyrim short story about Crunzugr, an RP character of mine, and a Skyrim dragon Maarkaannax, who uses the KAAN DREM OV shout that in the game makes enemies non hostile. I wanted to show how a battle scenario might play out...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hMEM2LCo9cOehGxDdePSJgM6G7NDVPaJiaN7YiHG-Ws/edit?usp=drivesdk
by Zinrahzul
March 1, 2018
I'll post my Skyrim short story about Crunzugr, an RP character of mine, and a Skyrim dragon Maarkaannax, who uses the KAAN DREM OV shout that in the game makes enemies non hostile. I wanted to show how a battle scenario might play out...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hMEM2LCo9cOehGxDdePSJgM6G7NDVPaJiaN7YiHG-Ws/edit?usp=drivesdk

Hail Thuri
July 31, 2018

This post has not been deleted.

by Hail Thuri
July 31, 2018

This post has not been deleted.

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.