Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I need help proofreading my first attempt...

<<  <  1  2  3 

Flicker
November 21, 2017

Kogaan Hahdremro! Hi los fin pruzaan! :{D

Yeah now that you mention it I do use 'dii' a lot, haha~ Thank you for that link!

So my options for that '-i' suffix here would be...

1.) Kriffi (lol 'My Struggle.' Sorry, Hitler joke xD) Could that be pluralized? Kriffei? Kriffe-i?

2.) Teyi? (My story)

3.) Tahrovini? (my chaos)

4.) Tiiraazi (my sadness)

5.) Hahdrimi (my mind)

Hmm, I'll have to think about those. I think it's cool you can use suffixes like that, but it does kind of make some words sound... cute? Or maybe Italian-sounding? xD

I'm just saying, Kriffi sounds like a Pokemon and Tiiraazi sounds like a Mafia dude. Or a type of food. Or a resturant :9

I could totally go for some Tahrovini and Cheese though! That's college food right there, gwaha~ :{D

by Flicker
November 21, 2017

Kogaan Hahdremro! Hi los fin pruzaan! :{D

Yeah now that you mention it I do use 'dii' a lot, haha~ Thank you for that link!

So my options for that '-i' suffix here would be...

1.) Kriffi (lol 'My Struggle.' Sorry, Hitler joke xD) Could that be pluralized? Kriffei? Kriffe-i?

2.) Teyi? (My story)

3.) Tahrovini? (my chaos)

4.) Tiiraazi (my sadness)

5.) Hahdrimi (my mind)

Hmm, I'll have to think about those. I think it's cool you can use suffixes like that, but it does kind of make some words sound... cute? Or maybe Italian-sounding? xD

I'm just saying, Kriffi sounds like a Pokemon and Tiiraazi sounds like a Mafia dude. Or a type of food. Or a resturant :9

I could totally go for some Tahrovini and Cheese though! That's college food right there, gwaha~ :{D

Frinmulaar
November 21, 2017

Others are fine, but kriffe-i unseen: a plural and a possessive never stack in Dovah.

by Frinmulaar
November 21, 2017

Others are fine, but kriffe-i unseen: a plural and a possessive never stack in Dovah.

Hahdremro
November 22, 2017
Flicker

Alright, that gave me a good chuckle. 

Like Frinmulaar said, you can't use possessive suffixes with plural nouns. You should always use dii in those cases. Like I said before, there's more information on possessive suffixes on the Lessons page. They're probably the most useful suffixes in the language, in my opinion, so it's good to familiarize yourself with them.

by Hahdremro
November 22, 2017
Flicker

Alright, that gave me a good chuckle. 

Like Frinmulaar said, you can't use possessive suffixes with plural nouns. You should always use dii in those cases. Like I said before, there's more information on possessive suffixes on the Lessons page. They're probably the most useful suffixes in the language, in my opinion, so it's good to familiarize yourself with them.

Flicker
November 22, 2017

Well, thanks again you guys. I'm gonna start on a cool photoshop of that poem with a nice 'old scroll paper' background :{D

Now I'm no expert on ES lore, but I'm sure there would be no reason for there to be Dovahzul in a Kel (unless Akatosh was involved in their creation), but since this is for nerdy office decoration I'll do it anyway. I was also thinking about putting in some words using the Daedra alphabet from Oblivion.

Do any of you guys know if that language in particular is literally just 'type an English word and the Daedra word is spelled with the same letter order?' 

Or are there rules about that one just like Dovahzul? owo

I feel like they went more in-depth with the dragon language, but just in case there's some rules I don't know about, I figured I'd ask.

by Flicker
November 22, 2017

Well, thanks again you guys. I'm gonna start on a cool photoshop of that poem with a nice 'old scroll paper' background :{D

Now I'm no expert on ES lore, but I'm sure there would be no reason for there to be Dovahzul in a Kel (unless Akatosh was involved in their creation), but since this is for nerdy office decoration I'll do it anyway. I was also thinking about putting in some words using the Daedra alphabet from Oblivion.

Do any of you guys know if that language in particular is literally just 'type an English word and the Daedra word is spelled with the same letter order?' 

Or are there rules about that one just like Dovahzul? owo

I feel like they went more in-depth with the dragon language, but just in case there's some rules I don't know about, I figured I'd ask.

Hahdremro
November 27, 2017
Flicker

owo

*notices owo* Fos los daar?

(I hate that there's no canon word for "what." Gotta use Legacy every now and then.)

Daedric is simply an alphabet, not a fleshed out language like Dovahzul. Same goes for arcane runes, surprisingly enough. There were some very interesting alphabets created for the Elder Scrolls series. Might be worth adding a couple arcane runes if you're going all out with the different letters, although I feel like Daedric, Dovahzul, and arcane runes might clash stylistically. Probably best to stick with Dovahzul, in my opinion.

Edit: If you want to make a Kel, you could use the elder alphabet, even though you'd pretty much just be making random words since it's not really an alphabet. The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages have quite an interesting section on alphabets from the games, and it's definitely worth a read if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

by Hahdremro
November 27, 2017
Flicker

owo

*notices owo* Fos los daar?

(I hate that there's no canon word for "what." Gotta use Legacy every now and then.)

Daedric is simply an alphabet, not a fleshed out language like Dovahzul. Same goes for arcane runes, surprisingly enough. There were some very interesting alphabets created for the Elder Scrolls series. Might be worth adding a couple arcane runes if you're going all out with the different letters, although I feel like Daedric, Dovahzul, and arcane runes might clash stylistically. Probably best to stick with Dovahzul, in my opinion.

Edit: If you want to make a Kel, you could use the elder alphabet, even though you'd pretty much just be making random words since it's not really an alphabet. The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages have quite an interesting section on alphabets from the games, and it's definitely worth a read if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

Flicker
November 27, 2017

Krosis! That's just a silly face I make a lot. My friend got me doing it because it seems to express genuine curiosity, which I have a lot of on this site, gwaha :{D

I figured as much. Thank you for those links! I wonder if anyone has made a 'Font' for arcane runes. Just imagine the funny things we could make a book of magic say!

Yeah I can see how it might clash stylistically; I might just stick to Dovahzul in the end. We'll see!

Oh man, the elder alphabet! Now there's something a future game needs to flesh out. Makes me wonder if they're afraid that 'explaining too much' about the scrolls might spoil their aura of mystery about them. Who knows, lol

by Flicker
November 27, 2017

Krosis! That's just a silly face I make a lot. My friend got me doing it because it seems to express genuine curiosity, which I have a lot of on this site, gwaha :{D

I figured as much. Thank you for those links! I wonder if anyone has made a 'Font' for arcane runes. Just imagine the funny things we could make a book of magic say!

Yeah I can see how it might clash stylistically; I might just stick to Dovahzul in the end. We'll see!

Oh man, the elder alphabet! Now there's something a future game needs to flesh out. Makes me wonder if they're afraid that 'explaining too much' about the scrolls might spoil their aura of mystery about them. Who knows, lol

Hahdremro
November 27, 2017
Flicker

If your friend uses that often, there's a good chance that they're furry trash. (Source: I am proud furry trash and almost all of my friends in the furry fandom use this joke embarrassingly often.) Ask your friend if he's excited for the new Sly Cooper movie trailer. If he replies more enthusiastically than simple nostalgia would explain, then you'll know for sure.

I could not find such a font in my Google search, but I'm not the best at using Google. If you find an Elder Scrolls arcane rune font, let me know!

If you really want to use a different alphabet alongside Dovahzul, you could try the runic alphabet. It would probably work better than Daedric, but I'd still recommend sticking with Dovahzul.

Oh man, the elder alphabet! Now there's one a future game needs to flesh out. Makes me wonder if they're afraid that 'explaining too much' about the scrolls might spoil their aura of mystery about them. Who knows, lol

I doubt Bethesda will reveal such secrets. It's pretty much gibberish already anyway, so unless they retcon the text on all previous Elder Scrolls found in-game, there's no way to make it into a usable alphabet.

by Hahdremro
November 27, 2017
Flicker

If your friend uses that often, there's a good chance that they're furry trash. (Source: I am proud furry trash and almost all of my friends in the furry fandom use this joke embarrassingly often.) Ask your friend if he's excited for the new Sly Cooper movie trailer. If he replies more enthusiastically than simple nostalgia would explain, then you'll know for sure.

I could not find such a font in my Google search, but I'm not the best at using Google. If you find an Elder Scrolls arcane rune font, let me know!

If you really want to use a different alphabet alongside Dovahzul, you could try the runic alphabet. It would probably work better than Daedric, but I'd still recommend sticking with Dovahzul.

Oh man, the elder alphabet! Now there's one a future game needs to flesh out. Makes me wonder if they're afraid that 'explaining too much' about the scrolls might spoil their aura of mystery about them. Who knows, lol

I doubt Bethesda will reveal such secrets. It's pretty much gibberish already anyway, so unless they retcon the text on all previous Elder Scrolls found in-game, there's no way to make it into a usable alphabet.

Flicker
November 27, 2017

Oh pfft. Nah, he's more into superhero comics and fighting games. As for me, labels bore the hell out of me. The things people call 'furry' are pretty much just humans with animal heads. I enjoyed the Sly Cooper games, and it would be nice if they actually released the movie (was supposed to come out last year I think?), but it could just as well be a series about regular human thieves and I'd still like it the same :{P

I'll let you know, sure! So far I've only found the Daedric language font, Dovahzul and actually Falmer! Didn't expect the Falmer to have such a pretty alphabet, you know with the whole 'blind and angry' thing. Hmm, maybe it's more from when they were just regular snow elves?

Oh nice runic! Haha, the more we add to the list, the more I'm thinking 'yeah just keep it nice and simple with Dovahzul and the English lettering to read it easier,' lol

Just think Hahdremro. Somewhere, hidden in Todd Howard's replica of a vault from Fallout, are the secrets of the Elder Scrolls. Only there can the gibberish be made sense of! :{O

by Flicker
November 27, 2017

Oh pfft. Nah, he's more into superhero comics and fighting games. As for me, labels bore the hell out of me. The things people call 'furry' are pretty much just humans with animal heads. I enjoyed the Sly Cooper games, and it would be nice if they actually released the movie (was supposed to come out last year I think?), but it could just as well be a series about regular human thieves and I'd still like it the same :{P

I'll let you know, sure! So far I've only found the Daedric language font, Dovahzul and actually Falmer! Didn't expect the Falmer to have such a pretty alphabet, you know with the whole 'blind and angry' thing. Hmm, maybe it's more from when they were just regular snow elves?

Oh nice runic! Haha, the more we add to the list, the more I'm thinking 'yeah just keep it nice and simple with Dovahzul and the English lettering to read it easier,' lol

Just think Hahdremro. Somewhere, hidden in Todd Howard's replica of a vault from Fallout, are the secrets of the Elder Scrolls. Only there can the gibberish be made sense of! :{O

Hahdremro
November 29, 2017
Flicker

Oh pfft. Nah, he's more into superhero comics and fighting games. As for me, labels bore the hell out of me.

inb4 he mains Fox, Falco, or Lucario in Smash Bros. :P

The things people call 'furry' are pretty much just humans with animal heads. I enjoyed the Sly Cooper games, and it would be nice if they actually released the movie (was supposed to come out last year I think?), but it could just as well be a series about regular human thieves and I'd still like it the same :{P

I saw a  re-release of the trailer earlier this month, but I'm not sure if it's real or just a channel posting the video again with the date changed. I desperately want to see this movie be made.

Falmer script is actually based on Dwemer runes, interestingly enough. It really is one of the flashier alphabets in the Elder Scrolls series, which just shows how far they've fallen from grace.

I'd go with Dovahzul runes if possible. They'd make it look more authentic and impressive, in my opinion. Plus, the runes aren't terribly hard to learn. We'd be happy to check them for you before you make the finished product.

I wouldn't put it past him to have a kel hidden away amongst a pile of bottle caps. Lol

by Hahdremro
November 29, 2017
Flicker

Oh pfft. Nah, he's more into superhero comics and fighting games. As for me, labels bore the hell out of me.

inb4 he mains Fox, Falco, or Lucario in Smash Bros. :P

The things people call 'furry' are pretty much just humans with animal heads. I enjoyed the Sly Cooper games, and it would be nice if they actually released the movie (was supposed to come out last year I think?), but it could just as well be a series about regular human thieves and I'd still like it the same :{P

I saw a  re-release of the trailer earlier this month, but I'm not sure if it's real or just a channel posting the video again with the date changed. I desperately want to see this movie be made.

Falmer script is actually based on Dwemer runes, interestingly enough. It really is one of the flashier alphabets in the Elder Scrolls series, which just shows how far they've fallen from grace.

I'd go with Dovahzul runes if possible. They'd make it look more authentic and impressive, in my opinion. Plus, the runes aren't terribly hard to learn. We'd be happy to check them for you before you make the finished product.

I wouldn't put it past him to have a kel hidden away amongst a pile of bottle caps. Lol

Flicker
November 29, 2017

He doesn't play Smash as far as I know. He likes Injustice and MvC though. His favorite character of all time is Spider-Man. Dunno bro, maybe he just likes the silly face I use? Will you allow that, thuri? xD

That's a re-release alright. Weird :{o I sort of forgot about the movie to be honest, but hey. If they can make a GOOD movie based on a video game? The wait will have been worth it :{D

Geez, they did a good job making the alphabets feel like adaptations of older ones! Dwemer must be like Ancient Greek is to modern language. So many roots started there I guess.

Thank you. You've been a big help and I'll be sure to let you look at the final page design (with the runes and such) before the process of making a functioning scroll mechanism. I'd hate to do that, think it was done and have to redo something xD

He should totally reveal the next game using a kel. Open it to reveal something mind-blowing like a logo that says 'The Elder Scrolls VI: Dwemer.' Gods... And I thought Skyrim was hyped...

by Flicker
November 29, 2017

He doesn't play Smash as far as I know. He likes Injustice and MvC though. His favorite character of all time is Spider-Man. Dunno bro, maybe he just likes the silly face I use? Will you allow that, thuri? xD

That's a re-release alright. Weird :{o I sort of forgot about the movie to be honest, but hey. If they can make a GOOD movie based on a video game? The wait will have been worth it :{D

Geez, they did a good job making the alphabets feel like adaptations of older ones! Dwemer must be like Ancient Greek is to modern language. So many roots started there I guess.

Thank you. You've been a big help and I'll be sure to let you look at the final page design (with the runes and such) before the process of making a functioning scroll mechanism. I'd hate to do that, think it was done and have to redo something xD

He should totally reveal the next game using a kel. Open it to reveal something mind-blowing like a logo that says 'The Elder Scrolls VI: Dwemer.' Gods... And I thought Skyrim was hyped...

Hahdremro
November 29, 2017
Flicker

If you're interested in the origins of the various languages spoken on Nirn, this would be a useful resource. It's a fascinating chart, especially when considering how many different origins there are for languages spoken by such different races.

Any time! It's great to be able to help with a cool project like this. Like I said before, it was pretty satisfying to see this whole thing evolve over time!

That would be almost as cool as Miyamoto with the Master Sword at E3 2004, if he pulls it off well enough. Might not be as well recieved as he's walking onto the stage, as everyone is likely to expect yet another port/remaster of Skyrim. Lol

by Hahdremro
November 29, 2017
Flicker

If you're interested in the origins of the various languages spoken on Nirn, this would be a useful resource. It's a fascinating chart, especially when considering how many different origins there are for languages spoken by such different races.

Any time! It's great to be able to help with a cool project like this. Like I said before, it was pretty satisfying to see this whole thing evolve over time!

That would be almost as cool as Miyamoto with the Master Sword at E3 2004, if he pulls it off well enough. Might not be as well recieved as he's walking onto the stage, as everyone is likely to expect yet another port/remaster of Skyrim. Lol

Flicker
January 8, 2018

I've returned! :{D

Before moving forward with the kel project, I need to make sure I did this right, as well as get some second opinions for the fun of it!

Here it is; the design for the scroll's page:

https://image.ibb.co/gbeH6m/Elder_Scroll_Page.png

I know I know, I went the 'dii' route. I didn't feel like changing the nice square shape of the poem, and the Italian Pokemon sounds the possessive suffixes give off is too cute for me. xD

I like the parchment artwork from Oblivion so I put a wizard dude in the middle. Because I like wizards. Yeh.

I put some Elder langauge in the background, but for the most part I wanted to keep the page nice and simple so your eyes are more focused on the words. 

I couldn't have gotten this far without you guys, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Btw: The length is based on how far my long-ass arms can open it while standing (big as this thing's gonna be). So some might open it and think it ends with the wizard, but I know the secret 8)

by Flicker
January 8, 2018

I've returned! :{D

Before moving forward with the kel project, I need to make sure I did this right, as well as get some second opinions for the fun of it!

Here it is; the design for the scroll's page:

https://image.ibb.co/gbeH6m/Elder_Scroll_Page.png

I know I know, I went the 'dii' route. I didn't feel like changing the nice square shape of the poem, and the Italian Pokemon sounds the possessive suffixes give off is too cute for me. xD

I like the parchment artwork from Oblivion so I put a wizard dude in the middle. Because I like wizards. Yeh.

I put some Elder langauge in the background, but for the most part I wanted to keep the page nice and simple so your eyes are more focused on the words. 

I couldn't have gotten this far without you guys, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Btw: The length is based on how far my long-ass arms can open it while standing (big as this thing's gonna be). So some might open it and think it ends with the wizard, but I know the secret 8)

Hahdremro
January 9, 2018

Looks like a nice combination of Skyrim language and Oblivion aesthetics! I like it. I was skeptical of the idea of adding a wizard in the middle, but it works better than I thought. Are you sure that's the star sign you want to go with, though? You could personalize it further by adding the constellation of your own birth sign! Check out the UESP page for the Calendar to see which birth sign is yours and see if you like that one more than the Mage.

Just realized that in the first line, pruzaan probably isn't correct, as it means "most good" rather than "overcome." You may want to use kron ("conquer") instead, which might end up evening out the length of the lines in the Dovahzul runes section. Other than that slight error (which I completely missed before, oops!), the rest of it checks out. It's actually a rather inspiring read!

I'm so excited to see this project finally coming to fruition! It's great to think that I was able to help in the creation of something so interesting. Surely this will raise a few eyebrows and become quite the conversation starter once you finish it! You just might become the Alpha Nerd of your group of friends with this work of art on display!

by Hahdremro
January 9, 2018

Looks like a nice combination of Skyrim language and Oblivion aesthetics! I like it. I was skeptical of the idea of adding a wizard in the middle, but it works better than I thought. Are you sure that's the star sign you want to go with, though? You could personalize it further by adding the constellation of your own birth sign! Check out the UESP page for the Calendar to see which birth sign is yours and see if you like that one more than the Mage.

Just realized that in the first line, pruzaan probably isn't correct, as it means "most good" rather than "overcome." You may want to use kron ("conquer") instead, which might end up evening out the length of the lines in the Dovahzul runes section. Other than that slight error (which I completely missed before, oops!), the rest of it checks out. It's actually a rather inspiring read!

I'm so excited to see this project finally coming to fruition! It's great to think that I was able to help in the creation of something so interesting. Surely this will raise a few eyebrows and become quite the conversation starter once you finish it! You just might become the Alpha Nerd of your group of friends with this work of art on display!

Flicker
January 10, 2018

Thanks! Yeah I'm sure about the wizard; I like them a lot~ That's cool though, I didn't know the birthsigns had real calendar equivalents. And wow, look at how many holidays there are in ES Lore! Why haven't we seen more of those in the games? Whichever of them is closest to Christmas in concept, that would be cool if it happened in-game if you played during December or something :{3

Good eye! I'll make sure to correct that before moving forward. Yeah I need to be more careful when looking at definitions, because sometimes the one they put in your face isn't the 'official' one :P

You were integral! I'm grateful for how helpful you guys have been for this little project. If we ever meet in person, I'm buying drinks! We'll have legendary drunken conversations about all the nerdy things we can think of, gwaha~ I'm gonna get back to work on this, but I'll definitely post again when it's done. Take me some pictures of the fruit of our labor :{D

by Flicker
January 10, 2018

Thanks! Yeah I'm sure about the wizard; I like them a lot~ That's cool though, I didn't know the birthsigns had real calendar equivalents. And wow, look at how many holidays there are in ES Lore! Why haven't we seen more of those in the games? Whichever of them is closest to Christmas in concept, that would be cool if it happened in-game if you played during December or something :{3

Good eye! I'll make sure to correct that before moving forward. Yeah I need to be more careful when looking at definitions, because sometimes the one they put in your face isn't the 'official' one :P

You were integral! I'm grateful for how helpful you guys have been for this little project. If we ever meet in person, I'm buying drinks! We'll have legendary drunken conversations about all the nerdy things we can think of, gwaha~ I'm gonna get back to work on this, but I'll definitely post again when it's done. Take me some pictures of the fruit of our labor :{D

<<  <  1  2  3 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.