Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul Youtube Channel Ideas

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

Zinrahzul
March 20, 2018
My biggest issue here is legacy vs Canon translation. You can't have consistent characterization using two dictionaries for one character. If one wanted to voice act, that person would have to get into the character and that requires knowing what you're saying in English (or native language.

The meat of my point is I personally don't want to use the legacy dictionary for anything I'm translating. If I'm to help, it'll have to be Canon only, except where specific words that all characters should know about. Other people will use the legacy dictionary liberally, and that might not mix well...
by Zinrahzul
March 20, 2018
My biggest issue here is legacy vs Canon translation. You can't have consistent characterization using two dictionaries for one character. If one wanted to voice act, that person would have to get into the character and that requires knowing what you're saying in English (or native language.

The meat of my point is I personally don't want to use the legacy dictionary for anything I'm translating. If I'm to help, it'll have to be Canon only, except where specific words that all characters should know about. Other people will use the legacy dictionary liberally, and that might not mix well...

Frinovdun
March 20, 2018
Zinrahzul
My biggest issue here is legacy vs Canon translation. You can't have consistent characterization using two dictionaries for one character. If one wanted to voice act, that person would have to get into the character and that requires knowing what you're saying in English (or native language. The meat of my point is I personally don't want to use the legacy dictionary for anything I'm translating. If I'm to help, it'll have to be Canon only, except where specific words that all characters should know about. Other people will use the legacy dictionary liberally, and that might not mix well...

Maybe there's a way that we could vote on it, and whichever dictionary gets the most votes will be the one that will be used. 

by Frinovdun
March 20, 2018
Zinrahzul
My biggest issue here is legacy vs Canon translation. You can't have consistent characterization using two dictionaries for one character. If one wanted to voice act, that person would have to get into the character and that requires knowing what you're saying in English (or native language. The meat of my point is I personally don't want to use the legacy dictionary for anything I'm translating. If I'm to help, it'll have to be Canon only, except where specific words that all characters should know about. Other people will use the legacy dictionary liberally, and that might not mix well...

Maybe there's a way that we could vote on it, and whichever dictionary gets the most votes will be the one that will be used. 

Zinrahzul
March 20, 2018
@IrisKitsune alternatively, if I just work on one single character, then other characters can just use a legacy dictionary. that being said, I do realize the difficulties of using just the cannon dictionary. I might just decide to use Legacy, but I don't really want to do that, and that's just my personal preference. I don't really want to derail your project just because of that...
by Zinrahzul
March 20, 2018
@IrisKitsune alternatively, if I just work on one single character, then other characters can just use a legacy dictionary. that being said, I do realize the difficulties of using just the cannon dictionary. I might just decide to use Legacy, but I don't really want to do that, and that's just my personal preference. I don't really want to derail your project just because of that...

Frinovdun
March 20, 2018
Zinrahzul

I have the preference of using legacy because of the limitations of the cannon dictionary. Still, I would like for you to be a part of the project. I'm trying to think of something that you could do using just cannon... The most I've got is the small bits of narration that appear in the game. 

by Frinovdun
March 20, 2018
Zinrahzul

I have the preference of using legacy because of the limitations of the cannon dictionary. Still, I would like for you to be a part of the project. I'm trying to think of something that you could do using just cannon... The most I've got is the small bits of narration that appear in the game. 

Hahdremro
March 20, 2018
IrisKitsune

Again, I've translated at least one song into fully canon Dovahzul. It's more versatile than we give it credit for, but it requires a lot of creativity to use effectively. Might make some lines take longer to deliver in Dovahzul than in other languages, but that's what we have to work with. Legacy has more or less been disowned by the thuum.org community for anything other than personal projects, but it's available for you to use if you think that's what's best for the translation.

by Hahdremro
March 20, 2018
IrisKitsune

Again, I've translated at least one song into fully canon Dovahzul. It's more versatile than we give it credit for, but it requires a lot of creativity to use effectively. Might make some lines take longer to deliver in Dovahzul than in other languages, but that's what we have to work with. Legacy has more or less been disowned by the thuum.org community for anything other than personal projects, but it's available for you to use if you think that's what's best for the translation.

Frinovdun
March 20, 2018
@Hahdremro I've been looking into how the translation could work in canon, but I'm having a bit of trouble. For example, I tried finding some way to translate "Phantom Ruby", and the only word that seemed to work with ruby is "stone". "Prototype" also comes up a number of times in the script and I don't know where to begin with that.
by Frinovdun
March 20, 2018
@Hahdremro I've been looking into how the translation could work in canon, but I'm having a bit of trouble. For example, I tried finding some way to translate "Phantom Ruby", and the only word that seemed to work with ruby is "stone". "Prototype" also comes up a number of times in the script and I don't know where to begin with that.

Hahdremro
March 23, 2018

"Phantom Ruby" could be Sah Sahqo-Golz, "Phantom Crimson-Stone," although I admit the name sounds a tad repetitious. Prototype is a tad trickier, but it could be volaat zii, "un-last essence." Not perfect by any means, but it conveys the same idea.

With a full understanding of the available canon lexicon, it's possible to carry on a full conversation in canon Dovahzul, although it does lack some critical words (like "what") that are hard to work around. I sometimes need to borrow a couple words from the Legacy dictionary when translating something, but I relish the challenge of translating something with as few non-canon words as possible.

by Hahdremro
March 23, 2018

"Phantom Ruby" could be Sah Sahqo-Golz, "Phantom Crimson-Stone," although I admit the name sounds a tad repetitious. Prototype is a tad trickier, but it could be volaat zii, "un-last essence." Not perfect by any means, but it conveys the same idea.

With a full understanding of the available canon lexicon, it's possible to carry on a full conversation in canon Dovahzul, although it does lack some critical words (like "what") that are hard to work around. I sometimes need to borrow a couple words from the Legacy dictionary when translating something, but I relish the challenge of translating something with as few non-canon words as possible.

Frinovdun
April 4, 2018

Update for everyone: Despite the challenge of using the limited canon vocabulary,  I would like to see how the project would go using only the canon lexicon. (My preference has sort of changed between legacy and canon.) Currently, only the Episode Shadow DLC for Sonic Forces has been retranslated, and who knows when the full project will be done. In the meantime, I would like to start working on all of the vocal tracks that are in the game. Hopefully get the links for the songs up soon. 

by Frinovdun
April 4, 2018

Update for everyone: Despite the challenge of using the limited canon vocabulary,  I would like to see how the project would go using only the canon lexicon. (My preference has sort of changed between legacy and canon.) Currently, only the Episode Shadow DLC for Sonic Forces has been retranslated, and who knows when the full project will be done. In the meantime, I would like to start working on all of the vocal tracks that are in the game. Hopefully get the links for the songs up soon. 

KulAakMir
April 16, 2018

Pruzah, sounds interesting! I already have a little chanel, and Zu'u know how to edit videos. If you need help just ask me! 

by KulAakMir
April 16, 2018

Pruzah, sounds interesting! I already have a little chanel, and Zu'u know how to edit videos. If you need help just ask me! 

Hahdremro
April 17, 2018
KulAakMir

It would be pretty neat to have a good editor! Gods know I'm totally clueless in that field. Most I can do is script/song writing and voice acting, although I have little experience in the latter. It would be nice to have someone who knows how to run a channel helping us out!

by Hahdremro
April 17, 2018
KulAakMir

It would be pretty neat to have a good editor! Gods know I'm totally clueless in that field. Most I can do is script/song writing and voice acting, although I have little experience in the latter. It would be nice to have someone who knows how to run a channel helping us out!

Frinovdun
April 17, 2018

Here are the lyrics for all the songs. Have fun translating!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MBNRiSZivPJr5-mxaW-z_76XgcGoPV7-

by Frinovdun
April 17, 2018

Hahdremro
April 17, 2018
IrisKitsune

Ooh, this'll be a fun challenge! I'll see if I can translate any of these in a way that will preserve the rhyme scheme and/or the meter, but I make no promises. Doesn't look like it'll be particularly difficult to stick to canon, though, since most of these lyrics seem to be conveying emotions and concepts rather than anything literal. We'll have plenty of freedom of expression with this. I'll see what I can do with these when I get a chance, but not until I've talked to Zinrahzul to see if he'd prefer to split the work load a bit and we've decided who's going to translate what.

by Hahdremro
April 17, 2018
IrisKitsune

Ooh, this'll be a fun challenge! I'll see if I can translate any of these in a way that will preserve the rhyme scheme and/or the meter, but I make no promises. Doesn't look like it'll be particularly difficult to stick to canon, though, since most of these lyrics seem to be conveying emotions and concepts rather than anything literal. We'll have plenty of freedom of expression with this. I'll see what I can do with these when I get a chance, but not until I've talked to Zinrahzul to see if he'd prefer to split the work load a bit and we've decided who's going to translate what.

Zinrahzul
April 17, 2018
Geh, zeymahi. Let's just split the load. I'll take a look at it tonight if I get the chance.
by Zinrahzul
April 17, 2018
Geh, zeymahi. Let's just split the load. I'll take a look at it tonight if I get the chance.

Frinovdun
April 17, 2018

I would love to produce the songs in something like Vocaloid, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8p4Xmd4rck

I'll keep looking for a similar program, but so far I haven't found anything open-source.

Or if anyone is up to lending us thier lovely singing voice, I'm also open to that.

by Frinovdun
April 17, 2018

I would love to produce the songs in something like Vocaloid, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8p4Xmd4rck

I'll keep looking for a similar program, but so far I haven't found anything open-source.

Or if anyone is up to lending us thier lovely singing voice, I'm also open to that.

Zinrahzul
May 3, 2018

Hey, guess what? First translation! "Fading World" -> "Feimtaas Lein"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iuFjV8nTYGpsrhIcg5GHngeLRcjlEukp_NDRZGxbqw4/edit?usp=sharing

You can make comments on the doc itself. The words are chosen to fit the cadence and syllable count.

by Zinrahzul
May 3, 2018

Hey, guess what? First translation! "Fading World" -> "Feimtaas Lein"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iuFjV8nTYGpsrhIcg5GHngeLRcjlEukp_NDRZGxbqw4/edit?usp=sharing

You can make comments on the doc itself. The words are chosen to fit the cadence and syllable count.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.