Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

List of Affixes

<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>  

vodrem
May 13, 2016

Yo I just found something in the translations and those are these two: Naak and Naako which are translated into eat and eaten so maybe the -o is also a suffix to make the past participle or is this too far fetched?

by vodrem
May 13, 2016

Yo I just found something in the translations and those are these two: Naak and Naako which are translated into eat and eaten so maybe the -o is also a suffix to make the past participle or is this too far fetched?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 14, 2016
@vodrem Nope, not too far fetched at at all. Looking at similar suffixes, the suffix -aan occurs in many words (Kriaan, Wahlaan, Duaan, Mahlaan, Boaan) while -o only occurs in one (Naako). Therefore we can say with some certainty that -aan is the rule while -o is irregular or an exception we don't fully understand yet.
by paarthurnax
May 14, 2016
@vodrem Nope, not too far fetched at at all. Looking at similar suffixes, the suffix -aan occurs in many words (Kriaan, Wahlaan, Duaan, Mahlaan, Boaan) while -o only occurs in one (Naako). Therefore we can say with some certainty that -aan is the rule while -o is irregular or an exception we don't fully understand yet.

HahDiirNi
August 13, 2016

this is great, thanks for the guide!

by HahDiirNi
August 13, 2016

this is great, thanks for the guide!

Ruvgein
August 23, 2016

This will be a great help. Many thanks.

by Ruvgein
August 23, 2016

This will be a great help. Many thanks.

Toorlokviing
November 16, 2016

i noticed the possessive for their is not on the list...what would be equivalent?

by Toorlokviing
November 16, 2016

i noticed the possessive for their is not on the list...what would be equivalent?

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 16, 2016
Toorlokviing

There is the non-canon possessive suffix -u'u. Otherwise this one is challenging to work around, as there is no pronoun "their" either.

If you want to take a canon-only approach, you'll have to use proper nouns in cases where "their" might come up. For example, instead of saying "the kings and their men", you'd say "the kings and the kings' men." A ltitle clumsy, but it avoids needing a pronoun or suffix.

by paarthurnax
November 16, 2016
Toorlokviing

There is the non-canon possessive suffix -u'u. Otherwise this one is challenging to work around, as there is no pronoun "their" either.

If you want to take a canon-only approach, you'll have to use proper nouns in cases where "their" might come up. For example, instead of saying "the kings and their men", you'd say "the kings and the kings' men." A ltitle clumsy, but it avoids needing a pronoun or suffix.

[deleted]
November 27, 2016

Thank you very much this has been really helpful!

by [deleted]
November 27, 2016

Thank you very much this has been really helpful!

Toorlokviing
November 28, 2016

i noticed the post for affixes but none for suffixes? are suffixes considered legacy or am i missing something? another condensed list for all suffix/affixes/possessives would be nice if applicable.

by Toorlokviing
November 28, 2016

i noticed the post for affixes but none for suffixes? are suffixes considered legacy or am i missing something? another condensed list for all suffix/affixes/possessives would be nice if applicable.

Liis
Administrator
November 28, 2016
@Toorlokviing,

An affix is any attachment to a word. Prefixes, infixes and suffixes are all affixes.
by Liis
November 28, 2016
@Toorlokviing,

An affix is any attachment to a word. Prefixes, infixes and suffixes are all affixes.

Lahriiul
January 4, 2017
Rokfentjer

Question: is there an affix equivalent to English's -ian and -ist, as in Christian and novelist?

I know this is from a long time ago but I'm wondering if this might be an accurate translation for a word like Christian? Since '-iik' or '-niik' seems to be the english equivalent of '-er' it would only really work with a verb (write, writer, travel, traveller). 'Christ' (or 'Kreist') is a proper noun so to say Kreistiik would be like saying Christer.

I think Christian would translate more directly to Zeiniiksekreist (Worshipper-of-Christ) or Kreistro Zeiniik (Christ's Worshipper)

New to Dovahzul here!

by Lahriiul
January 4, 2017
Rokfentjer

Question: is there an affix equivalent to English's -ian and -ist, as in Christian and novelist?

I know this is from a long time ago but I'm wondering if this might be an accurate translation for a word like Christian? Since '-iik' or '-niik' seems to be the english equivalent of '-er' it would only really work with a verb (write, writer, travel, traveller). 'Christ' (or 'Kreist') is a proper noun so to say Kreistiik would be like saying Christer.

I think Christian would translate more directly to Zeiniiksekreist (Worshipper-of-Christ) or Kreistro Zeiniik (Christ's Worshipper)

New to Dovahzul here!

amalgamcore
June 9, 2017

Thanks!

by amalgamcore
June 9, 2017

Thanks!

Induntoor
May 11, 2018

This thread is really helpful! thanks!

by Induntoor
May 11, 2018

This thread is really helpful! thanks!

NikkoSossedov1
June 13, 2018
From what I've seen so far, -uv seems to mean "of/relating to-". So Nordic is Bronuv. Not sure if this is right. I'm new.
by NikkoSossedov1
June 13, 2018
From what I've seen so far, -uv seems to mean "of/relating to-". So Nordic is Bronuv. Not sure if this is right. I'm new.

Liis
Administrator
June 13, 2018
@NikkoSossedov1,

This is a thread for canon affixes only. Unfortunately, "-uv/-nuv” is non-canon.
by Liis
June 13, 2018
@NikkoSossedov1,

This is a thread for canon affixes only. Unfortunately, "-uv/-nuv” is non-canon.

NikkoSossedov1
June 19, 2018
@Liis okay thanks.
by NikkoSossedov1
June 19, 2018
@Liis okay thanks.
<<  <  1  2  3  4 > >>