A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Sketchi Devil
September 16, 2014

Oprotak

If -dahk truly doesn't exist anymore note should be changed to "suffix -ak".

by Sketchi Devil
September 16, 2014

Oprotak

If -dahk truly doesn't exist anymore note should be changed to "suffix -ak".

Sketchi Devil
September 16, 2014

Shanaar

-aar means -ness, right? I guess I toss in another -ak changing it to Shaanak?

by Sketchi Devil
September 16, 2014

Shanaar

-aar means -ness, right? I guess I toss in another -ak changing it to Shaanak?

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 16, 2014

@Hirk, sure, I think a new (but likewise short) word could work in its place. The idea is that a cube has a face of four sides, simple enough of a description for dragons.

@Marahl, I changed this whole family of words to the spelling of mahraal. "Ah" is used incorrectly in marahl. As a result, I also changed marahlwahl to mahraal-wahlaan.  I deleted marahld so now mahraal means both "to imagine" and "imagination."

@Marahlwahlkei, since it's now a hyphenated compound, mahraal-wahlaankei wouldn't really work, so I deleted the word for "imaginative" for now. If you'd like to submit it, I think mahraaluv or mahraalus would be a great new alternative for "imaginative/imaginary."

by paarthurnax
September 16, 2014

@Hirk, sure, I think a new (but likewise short) word could work in its place. The idea is that a cube has a face of four sides, simple enough of a description for dragons.

@Marahl, I changed this whole family of words to the spelling of mahraal. "Ah" is used incorrectly in marahl. As a result, I also changed marahlwahl to mahraal-wahlaan.  I deleted marahld so now mahraal means both "to imagine" and "imagination."

@Marahlwahlkei, since it's now a hyphenated compound, mahraal-wahlaankei wouldn't really work, so I deleted the word for "imaginative" for now. If you'd like to submit it, I think mahraaluv or mahraalus would be a great new alternative for "imaginative/imaginary."

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 16, 2014

Similar to marahld, I deleted both oprotak and shanaar so now oprot means "to execute / execution," and shaan means "to inspire / inspiration." Related, I feel like there could be a better word than oprot, possibly something semi-canon.

by paarthurnax
September 16, 2014

Similar to marahld, I deleted both oprotak and shanaar so now oprot means "to execute / execution," and shaan means "to inspire / inspiration." Related, I feel like there could be a better word than oprot, possibly something semi-canon.

Rokfentjer
September 18, 2014

Nunt

Suggest to expand definition to include 'nude'.

by Rokfentjer
September 18, 2014

Nunt

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 18, 2014
Rokfentjer

Nunt

Added "nude."

by paarthurnax
September 18, 2014
Rokfentjer

Nunt

Added "nude."

Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014

Ahreyt

Could you add word notes?

by Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014

Ahreyt

Could you add word notes?

Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014

Zaarax

X is such an uncommon letter and looks terrible in this word, you could always change it to Zaarav unless this word is based of another 'x' word.

by Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014

Zaarax

X is such an uncommon letter and looks terrible in this word, you could always change it to Zaarav unless this word is based of another 'x' word.

Foduiiz
September 18, 2014
Ahmuldein

Zaarax

I think it's the contrast between the uncommon and x and the very common that makes it seem strange. You could replace the first letter to make something like daarax or kaarax or something. 

by Foduiiz
September 18, 2014
Ahmuldein

Zaarax

I think it's the contrast between the uncommon and x and the very common that makes it seem strange. You could replace the first letter to make something like daarax or kaarax or something. 

Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014

Jor

This word is related to the word for 'mortal', however the only difference is one missing 'o' in the word. Think about how you would say "Mortal person". Wouldn't it sound like Joor Joor? Maybe you could change the vowels or add a little something for it to distinguish itself a bit more from its word of origin.

by Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014

Jor

This word is related to the word for 'mortal', however the only difference is one missing 'o' in the word. Think about how you would say "Mortal person". Wouldn't it sound like Joor Joor? Maybe you could change the vowels or add a little something for it to distinguish itself a bit more from its word of origin.

Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014
Foduiiz
Ahmuldein

Zaarax

How could this be a dovahzul word at all! Is there even a rune for 'x'?

by Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014
Foduiiz
Ahmuldein

Zaarax

How could this be a dovahzul word at all! Is there even a rune for 'x'?

Foduiiz
September 18, 2014
Ahmuldein

Jor

I say down with this word completely, and all of its rooted words can instead be rooted to joor. It's so similar that it could easily be seen as a straight up spelling error. 

by Foduiiz
September 18, 2014
Ahmuldein

Jor

I say down with this word completely, and all of its rooted words can instead be rooted to joor. It's so similar that it could easily be seen as a straight up spelling error. 

Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014
Foduiiz
Ahmuldein

Jor

hm...I want to dissagree but I dont know how to...its really weird its that feeling where you know the other person is right but you have an impulse to argue...I guess that this word is very clever and creative in its root because, well, humans ARE mortal but its not so creative in the changing the word...maybe find another trait that humans have and tie it in with this?

by Ahmuldein
September 18, 2014
Foduiiz
Ahmuldein

Jor

hm...I want to dissagree but I dont know how to...its really weird its that feeling where you know the other person is right but you have an impulse to argue...I guess that this word is very clever and creative in its root because, well, humans ARE mortal but its not so creative in the changing the word...maybe find another trait that humans have and tie it in with this?

paarthurnax
Administrator
September 18, 2014

@Ahreyt, what notes would you like added? It's non-canon, I can't think of much else to mention.

@Zaarax, x is used often at the end of the word, such as in nax. You're correct that it's not very common. How about pahrax? The inclusion of "pah" would imply something that's all-inclusive or encompassing.

@Jor, I'm okay with this but I'll let the discussion continue to see what other people think. My thoughts are, dragons wouldn't have a conventional use for the word "person." "Person" could be replaced with mun "man." "People" could easily be replaced by the canon word fron "kin," or even just cut outright; "How many people live in Whiterun?" vs. "How many live in Whiterun?"

by paarthurnax
September 18, 2014

@Ahreyt, what notes would you like added? It's non-canon, I can't think of much else to mention.

@Zaarax, x is used often at the end of the word, such as in nax. You're correct that it's not very common. How about pahrax? The inclusion of "pah" would imply something that's all-inclusive or encompassing.

@Jor, I'm okay with this but I'll let the discussion continue to see what other people think. My thoughts are, dragons wouldn't have a conventional use for the word "person." "Person" could be replaced with mun "man." "People" could easily be replaced by the canon word fron "kin," or even just cut outright; "How many people live in Whiterun?" vs. "How many live in Whiterun?"

hiith
September 19, 2014

Vozahlaas

This suggestion is an extension of the ongoing discussion: I say that "person" should be deleted, as dragons refer to "people" as joor. I suggest that the above word, Vozahlaas, be changed to "vojoor" and expanded to be a noun (an immortal being), and letting "joor" and the suggested "vojoor" be used in the stead of "jor" (based on the common usage of the word "joor" in the canon setting).

by hiith
September 19, 2014

Vozahlaas

This suggestion is an extension of the ongoing discussion: I say that "person" should be deleted, as dragons refer to "people" as joor. I suggest that the above word, Vozahlaas, be changed to "vojoor" and expanded to be a noun (an immortal being), and letting "joor" and the suggested "vojoor" be used in the stead of "jor" (based on the common usage of the word "joor" in the canon setting).

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.