Racial Archetype?

by Vuldovyol
April 25, 2018

Racial Archetype?

Hahdremro
April 25, 2018
Vuldovyol

Racial Archetype?

By that, I mean the role each race plays in the world. Take TES for example. Nords are the savage wanderers of frozen tundras. Khajiit are the wandering nomads of the desert. Imperials are the metropolitan people who control much of the world's trade. Bosmer are the forest-dwellers who are attuned to nature. Argonians are the primitive people who are associated with the swamp.

I'm somewhat generalizing and simplifying the matter, but you get the idea. Each race fills a niche in the world. Anyone can create races without worrying about what they do, but good world building often relies upon each group of people fulfilling a purpose. What do each of your races do? Where do they live? What are their societies like? Details like this can really bring a world to life, because more often than not, it is not the world itself that is interesting, but its inhabitants.

by Hahdremro
April 25, 2018
Vuldovyol

Racial Archetype?

By that, I mean the role each race plays in the world. Take TES for example. Nords are the savage wanderers of frozen tundras. Khajiit are the wandering nomads of the desert. Imperials are the metropolitan people who control much of the world's trade. Bosmer are the forest-dwellers who are attuned to nature. Argonians are the primitive people who are associated with the swamp.

I'm somewhat generalizing and simplifying the matter, but you get the idea. Each race fills a niche in the world. Anyone can create races without worrying about what they do, but good world building often relies upon each group of people fulfilling a purpose. What do each of your races do? Where do they live? What are their societies like? Details like this can really bring a world to life, because more often than not, it is not the world itself that is interesting, but its inhabitants.

Vuldovyol
April 25, 2018

Dragoria Update: Racial Enemies

Each Race has its enemies. 

Joordov = varies

Gryphi = Roc

Mun = Krahdov

Dovkiin = Vuldov

Kunkiin = Ogiimkiin

Ogiimkiin = Kunkiin

by Vuldovyol
April 25, 2018

Dragoria Update: Racial Enemies

Each Race has its enemies. 

Joordov = varies

Gryphi = Roc

Mun = Krahdov

Dovkiin = Vuldov

Kunkiin = Ogiimkiin

Ogiimkiin = Kunkiin

Vuldovyol
April 26, 2018

The Dragons are beasts of Legend and one of the 3 races of the skies. Unlike their ancestors, the Vojoordov of Nirn, the Joordov can be killed by anyone.

The Gryphi are the great Birds of the skies above, and the deadly wolves of the forests below.

The Elfborn are the scions of the Fey, Descendents of the Mer. Sun Elves are the Mages of the Deserts, the Moon Elves explore the mountains above, while the Wild Elves defend the forests below. Underground, the Dark Elves pactice their magics.

The humans are the Civilized nomads of the plains. Once barbarians of the northern tundra, they have not had a homeland since The Surge.

The Ogiimkiin may not be as advanced as their Dwemer ancestors, but their smithing is just as good. All come to them, whether in their halls of stone or their mountain forges.

The Drakespawn are the scions of Dragonkind and live to serve and protect the Drakes of Light.

by Vuldovyol
April 26, 2018

The Dragons are beasts of Legend and one of the 3 races of the skies. Unlike their ancestors, the Vojoordov of Nirn, the Joordov can be killed by anyone.

The Gryphi are the great Birds of the skies above, and the deadly wolves of the forests below.

The Elfborn are the scions of the Fey, Descendents of the Mer. Sun Elves are the Mages of the Deserts, the Moon Elves explore the mountains above, while the Wild Elves defend the forests below. Underground, the Dark Elves pactice their magics.

The humans are the Civilized nomads of the plains. Once barbarians of the northern tundra, they have not had a homeland since The Surge.

The Ogiimkiin may not be as advanced as their Dwemer ancestors, but their smithing is just as good. All come to them, whether in their halls of stone or their mountain forges.

The Drakespawn are the scions of Dragonkind and live to serve and protect the Drakes of Light.

Vuldovyol
May 14, 2018

I have begun a third world, D'ey'ramul. 

it is a world of both Majik and tech. It also has connection to non-canon futures of Krynn, Ebberon, Mundus, and Abeir-Toril

by Vuldovyol
May 14, 2018

I have begun a third world, D'ey'ramul. 

it is a world of both Majik and tech. It also has connection to non-canon futures of Krynn, Ebberon, Mundus, and Abeir-Toril

Vuldovyol
May 15, 2018

D'ey'ramul Update: I'garre

There are five I'gar, or Empire in Cr'ey'or, throughout history. They are D'rey I'gar, D'vah I'gar, V'pyre I'gar, F'iil I'gar, and Wiir I'gar.

by Vuldovyol
May 15, 2018

There are five I'gar, or Empire in Cr'ey'or, throughout history. They are D'rey I'gar, D'vah I'gar, V'pyre I'gar, F'iil I'gar, and Wiir I'gar.

Hahdremro
May 15, 2018
Vuldovyol

Word of advice: Too many apostrophes without any real reason for it might annoy a reader. Trust me, I created a conlang a while ago that used apostrophes way too often. Even though I had strict rules for the placement of apostrophes, there were way too many of them, and it became distracting to the reader. A few apostrophes are fine if you have a purpose for them, but they ought to be used sparingly.

by Hahdremro
May 15, 2018
Vuldovyol

Word of advice: Too many apostrophes without any real reason for it might annoy a reader. Trust me, I created a conlang a while ago that used apostrophes way too often. Even though I had strict rules for the placement of apostrophes, there were way too many of them, and it became distracting to the reader. A few apostrophes are fine if you have a purpose for them, but they ought to be used sparingly.

Vuldovyol
May 15, 2018

My reason for the apostrophes is to change the word. For example, without apostrophes, F'iil would be Fahliil, D'vah would be Dovah, and so forth. Also the point of the many apostrophes is that they seperate the syllables of a few of the words.

by Vuldovyol
May 15, 2018

My reason for the apostrophes is to change the word. For example, without apostrophes, F'iil would be Fahliil, D'vah would be Dovah, and so forth. Also the point of the many apostrophes is that they seperate the syllables of a few of the words.

Hahdremro
May 15, 2018

Link for the Google Drive folder for all documents relating to the Weave setting (name not final) that I've been working on. I'll be working on this a lot in the near future, so expect somewhat regular updates as I write down more of my ideas and upload them to the folder.

Click HERE for the link to the Google Drive folder.

by Hahdremro
May 15, 2018

Link for the Google Drive folder for all documents relating to the Weave setting (name not final) that I've been working on. I'll be working on this a lot in the near future, so expect somewhat regular updates as I write down more of my ideas and upload them to the folder.

Click HERE for the link to the Google Drive folder.

Vuldovyol
May 16, 2018
D'ey'ramul update:

I will be typing up D'ey'ramul content to Google docs
by Vuldovyol
May 16, 2018
D'ey'ramul update:

I will be typing up D'ey'ramul content to Google docs

Vuldovyol
May 16, 2018

This post has been deleted.

by Vuldovyol
May 16, 2018

This post has been deleted.

Vuldovyol
May 16, 2018
D'ey'ramul Update: Races

The D'rey are one of 2 splinter races of the De'rey.

The D'vah were originally the slaves of the De'rey.

The V'pyre were born when the last of the D'rey summoned Molag Bal, The Keeper, and Takhisis. They were changed into Undead.

The F'iil were the Blood-slaves of the V'pyre. They are the Elven peoples of D'ey'ramul.

The Wiir are the anthropomorphic peoples of Vullok, homeland of the D'vah.

The Jul are the humans of D'ey'ramul.
by Vuldovyol
May 16, 2018
D'ey'ramul Update: Races

The D'rey are one of 2 splinter races of the De'rey.

The D'vah were originally the slaves of the De'rey.

The V'pyre were born when the last of the D'rey summoned Molag Bal, The Keeper, and Takhisis. They were changed into Undead.

The F'iil were the Blood-slaves of the V'pyre. They are the Elven peoples of D'ey'ramul.

The Wiir are the anthropomorphic peoples of Vullok, homeland of the D'vah.

The Jul are the humans of D'ey'ramul.

Hahdremro
May 17, 2018

See, the excessive apostrophes are still too distracting to me. Like, if I were to try remembering all of these names, I'd be unable to keep them organized in my head, even with the benefit of understanding the language from which you derive all these words. It's just... not very aesthetically pleasing. That many apostrophes is just plain unsightly. (On the plus side, this is making me rethink major parts of the language I created, which used a LOT of apostrophes as well.) Also, the combination of Dovahzul-derived words and English-derived words is a bit jarring to me. It lacks consistency and feels uneven.

Worldbuilding aspects aside (those are certainly serviceable enough), you should consider trying to come up with original words for the races and places in your setting. When naming things from different cultures within your world, try to consider the phenomes used in each culture's language, and use that to guide your naming process.

Look at Skyrim, for example. The ancient Nords have very distinctive naming techniques for their various barrows and halls. Look through a list of the names of Nordic Ruins HERE. In contrast, look at how differently Dwemer ruins are named. The words have very different letter combinations and sounds in them. For a list of Dwemer Ruins, click HERE. Try to come up with naming conventions that are unique to your setting, and do your best to stay consistent with them. It's a bit of a daunting task, but once you start to understand how the words are put together, you can create names much more easily.

by Hahdremro
May 17, 2018

See, the excessive apostrophes are still too distracting to me. Like, if I were to try remembering all of these names, I'd be unable to keep them organized in my head, even with the benefit of understanding the language from which you derive all these words. It's just... not very aesthetically pleasing. That many apostrophes is just plain unsightly. (On the plus side, this is making me rethink major parts of the language I created, which used a LOT of apostrophes as well.) Also, the combination of Dovahzul-derived words and English-derived words is a bit jarring to me. It lacks consistency and feels uneven.

Worldbuilding aspects aside (those are certainly serviceable enough), you should consider trying to come up with original words for the races and places in your setting. When naming things from different cultures within your world, try to consider the phenomes used in each culture's language, and use that to guide your naming process.

Look at Skyrim, for example. The ancient Nords have very distinctive naming techniques for their various barrows and halls. Look through a list of the names of Nordic Ruins HERE. In contrast, look at how differently Dwemer ruins are named. The words have very different letter combinations and sounds in them. For a list of Dwemer Ruins, click HERE. Try to come up with naming conventions that are unique to your setting, and do your best to stay consistent with them. It's a bit of a daunting task, but once you start to understand how the words are put together, you can create names much more easily.

VulonJud
May 20, 2018
Wow some of you have created so many amazing worlds!
As a writer, I have created many worlds, some of which I have abandoned, others I have merged or split.
Most recently I have a created a currently nameless world, which features humans, witches, faerie, and beastfolk - though this world is a bit of an experiment.
As part of the story I am writing, I have built up this huge world in my mind, taking inspiration from Skyrim and similar games. In this world, the different raves have different skill sets and alliances (much like the races of Nirn). The main province of my world (who's name really needs to change in order to fit with the world) is mainly based off Nordic/Scandinavian and German names and landscapes.
The other kingdoms have yet to be explored, but they will be soon in my mind and in the book
Cheers :)
by VulonJud
May 20, 2018
Wow some of you have created so many amazing worlds!

As a writer, I have created many worlds, some of which I have abandoned, others I have merged or split.

Most recently I have a created a currently nameless world, which features humans, witches, faerie, and beastfolk - though this world is a bit of an experiment.

As part of the story I am writing, I have built up this huge world in my mind, taking inspiration from Skyrim and similar games. In this world, the different raves have different skill sets and alliances (much like the races of Nirn). The main province of my world (who's name really needs to change in order to fit with the world) is mainly based off Nordic/Scandinavian and German names and landscapes.

The other kingdoms have yet to be explored, but they will be soon in my mind and in the book

Cheers :)

Vuldovyol
May 21, 2018

I have scrapped D'ey'ramul, instead i replaced it with Sunvaarlein, in which the Elves and Humans are extinct.

by Vuldovyol
May 21, 2018

I have scrapped D'ey'ramul, instead i replaced it with Sunvaarlein, in which the Elves and Humans are extinct.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.