Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Modern words poll.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

Mulhahlor
April 9, 2014

I voted for. I tried to submit "Tape" without thinking that it doesn't exist in Skyrim. Now it can go somewhere! I also like the "Only Canon Words" version, too.

by Mulhahlor
April 9, 2014

I voted for. I tried to submit "Tape" without thinking that it doesn't exist in Skyrim. Now it can go somewhere! I also like the "Only Canon Words" version, too.

Jenkazaar
April 9, 2014

I voted for the movement, allowing a new level of canon for words will allow the language to grow and expand with the users who want to use Dovahzul as everyday language like Tolkien fans do with various dialects of Elvish while also allowing those who want to stay strictly with the traditional and canon words can. I believe that the variety added by modern words will only help with the fans who'd like to create strictly Dovahzul fanworks

by Jenkazaar
April 9, 2014

I voted for the movement, allowing a new level of canon for words will allow the language to grow and expand with the users who want to use Dovahzul as everyday language like Tolkien fans do with various dialects of Elvish while also allowing those who want to stay strictly with the traditional and canon words can. I believe that the variety added by modern words will only help with the fans who'd like to create strictly Dovahzul fanworks

Lok Diiv
April 9, 2014
Jenkazaar

So many reasons to expand into modern words.

by Lok Diiv
April 9, 2014
Jenkazaar

Morovahdin
April 9, 2014

I chose against; including modern words just does not seem right to me. However, it appears that so far a significant majority supports adding these words. In that case, I support the addition of a "modern" canon level (as well as going through the current words and re-evaluating their canon levels).

by Morovahdin
April 9, 2014

I chose against; including modern words just does not seem right to me. However, it appears that so far a significant majority supports adding these words. In that case, I support the addition of a "modern" canon level (as well as going through the current words and re-evaluating their canon levels).

hiith
April 9, 2014
Lok Diiv

No, not really. We keep saying the same things over again. Here's how I see it:

for: The Dragon Tongue doesn't have modern concepts in it. Adding modern words would allow us to express modern things, not just the ideas in Skyrim's context.

against: We are not making our own language, but expanding a language from TES V: Skyrim. We shouldn't break away from that. Skyrim's context isn't modern, so neither should Dovahzul be.

I understand that you want modern words. It makes sense. But that's not what we're about. If we need modern words so badly, then why don't we just make a completely new language (or learn Klingon or something) instead of largely distorting what the language is/ stands for/ is about?

by hiith
April 9, 2014
Lok Diiv

No, not really. We keep saying the same things over again. Here's how I see it:

for: The Dragon Tongue doesn't have modern concepts in it. Adding modern words would allow us to express modern things, not just the ideas in Skyrim's context.

against: We are not making our own language, but expanding a language from TES V: Skyrim. We shouldn't break away from that. Skyrim's context isn't modern, so neither should Dovahzul be.

I understand that you want modern words. It makes sense. But that's not what we're about. If we need modern words so badly, then why don't we just make a completely new language (or learn Klingon or something) instead of largely distorting what the language is/ stands for/ is about?

Foduiiz
April 9, 2014
Hiith

You make a good point while sounding like a strident misoneist. Maybe the language needs more development in it's current context before eating more than we can stomache? Personally, my instinct was to welcome the idea and I do think it should be introduced, absolutely, but maybe it can wait?

Like Paarthurnax said "...we have a lot of refinement to do with the words we have already made, rather than opening the floodgates for many more words."

I eagerly await the lexicon's refinery should that be the case.

by Foduiiz
April 9, 2014
Hiith

You make a good point while sounding like a strident misoneist. Maybe the language needs more development in it's current context before eating more than we can stomache? Personally, my instinct was to welcome the idea and I do think it should be introduced, absolutely, but maybe it can wait?

Like Paarthurnax said "...we have a lot of refinement to do with the words we have already made, rather than opening the floodgates for many more words."

I eagerly await the lexicon's refinery should that be the case.

Kwikgun
April 9, 2014
I voted for the move simply because it would make the language more complete.

by Kwikgun
April 9, 2014
I voted for the move simply because it would make the language more complete.

Mirkrilaar
April 10, 2014

If this does vote to pass, I GET ALL WAR RELATED WORDS!!!

by Mirkrilaar
April 10, 2014

If this does vote to pass, I GET ALL WAR RELATED WORDS!!!

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 10, 2014

An idea that's been expressed in a few places is to only add words to the dictionary after they have been used. That is, once a word has been used a few times, say in an RP or a piece of writing, and gained acceptance in the community, then it can be added to the dictionary.

I like the idea because it reflects the natural growth of a language (think of recent English words like "muggle" or "blog"). A difficulty would be it's hard to keep track of. Wordsmiths could be required to provide a link of the word being used, but how much must it be used to join the dictionary? And other subjective questions.

by paarthurnax
April 10, 2014

An idea that's been expressed in a few places is to only add words to the dictionary after they have been used. That is, once a word has been used a few times, say in an RP or a piece of writing, and gained acceptance in the community, then it can be added to the dictionary.

I like the idea because it reflects the natural growth of a language (think of recent English words like "muggle" or "blog"). A difficulty would be it's hard to keep track of. Wordsmiths could be required to provide a link of the word being used, but how much must it be used to join the dictionary? And other subjective questions.

Zuruniik
April 10, 2014

I think adding modern words into a new canon level is a good idea because it increases the variety of the language. One day I can see having a meet up event or something and these new modern words would be very convenient also. I can still see a problem with the "fourth canon level" thing though. If someone wants to converse with another, and they are strictly "non modern", but the other person is used to using modern words, there may be a bit of a barrier between them.

Expanding on what paarthurnax said, I think that having certain words being used often enough to be added to the dictionary might be a good idea. However, I can foresee that people may see this as a way to just create words without having them established first. So you may be having a conversation with someone, and they need to use a certain modern word, say, clock. They may just come up with a random word and say "that's dovahzul for clock".

Perhaps Im not the best one to be sayng anything, since I'm still very young in the Way of the Voice, but I still felt the need to express my opinion.

by Zuruniik
April 10, 2014

I think adding modern words into a new canon level is a good idea because it increases the variety of the language. One day I can see having a meet up event or something and these new modern words would be very convenient also. I can still see a problem with the "fourth canon level" thing though. If someone wants to converse with another, and they are strictly "non modern", but the other person is used to using modern words, there may be a bit of a barrier between them.

Expanding on what paarthurnax said, I think that having certain words being used often enough to be added to the dictionary might be a good idea. However, I can foresee that people may see this as a way to just create words without having them established first. So you may be having a conversation with someone, and they need to use a certain modern word, say, clock. They may just come up with a random word and say "that's dovahzul for clock".

Perhaps Im not the best one to be sayng anything, since I'm still very young in the Way of the Voice, but I still felt the need to express my opinion.

3EyeStudios
April 11, 2014

I voted for the movement, but I think there should be a bit of a revision system in place for words in the modern canon level. Revisions wouldn't happen very often, but if a majority of people think a certain word should be revised, then you can open up the "submit a revision" button and see what people can come up with to either improve the word or change it entirely.

by 3EyeStudios
April 11, 2014

I voted for the movement, but I think there should be a bit of a revision system in place for words in the modern canon level. Revisions wouldn't happen very often, but if a majority of people think a certain word should be revised, then you can open up the "submit a revision" button and see what people can come up with to either improve the word or change it entirely.

Onikdojyah
April 11, 2014

As long as slang like YOLO, SWAG, and Twerk aren't implimented this movement has my full support.

by Onikdojyah
April 11, 2014

As long as slang like YOLO, SWAG, and Twerk aren't implimented this movement has my full support.

dragonrider58
April 12, 2014

I think it would be a good idea because I want to know what Youtube would be in dragon tongue

by dragonrider58
April 12, 2014

I think it would be a good idea because I want to know what Youtube would be in dragon tongue

Loniizrath
April 12, 2014
Onikdojyah

Slang is something that changes by the year, so it probably won't be implemented. Especially those words.

by Loniizrath
April 12, 2014
Onikdojyah

Slang is something that changes by the year, so it probably won't be implemented. Especially those words.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 12, 2014
3EyeStudios

I think this could be a good idea for all invented words.

by paarthurnax
April 12, 2014
3EyeStudios

I think this could be a good idea for all invented words.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.