A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

New Canon Grammar

<<  <  1  2  3  4 

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 18, 2014
qobofus

Difference is significant.

"I will give to her the axe" is not the same as "I will give her to the axe". The latter implies that you will give said woman to said axe which is nonsense. In other examples this could lead to miscommunication of a massive scale.

They are quite different, so the question is do we let -a be used for only one of these or do we let -a be used for both?

Your example actually works out okay; "Zu'u fen ofana mek hahkun." The possible interpretations would be "I will give (to) her the axe" and "I will (to) give her the axe." Since the latter doesn't make sense we know the former is the correct translation. In the same way we know "Rok funta koraav" is "He failed to see" and not "He to failed see." As Hiith pointed out it would be even better to just say "Zu'u fen ofan mek hahkun," "I will give her the axe."

Let's see if we can come up with examples where having -a mean both would cause serious problems. Remember that it would only be used when "to" directly precedes or follows the verb.

by paarthurnax
May 18, 2014
qobofus

Difference is significant.

"I will give to her the axe" is not the same as "I will give her to the axe". The latter implies that you will give said woman to said axe which is nonsense. In other examples this could lead to miscommunication of a massive scale.

They are quite different, so the question is do we let -a be used for only one of these or do we let -a be used for both?

Your example actually works out okay; "Zu'u fen ofana mek hahkun." The possible interpretations would be "I will give (to) her the axe" and "I will (to) give her the axe." Since the latter doesn't make sense we know the former is the correct translation. In the same way we know "Rok funta koraav" is "He failed to see" and not "He to failed see." As Hiith pointed out it would be even better to just say "Zu'u fen ofan mek hahkun," "I will give her the axe."

Let's see if we can come up with examples where having -a mean both would cause serious problems. Remember that it would only be used when "to" directly precedes or follows the verb.

Foduiiz
May 18, 2014

Lorotni do naan.

by Foduiiz
May 18, 2014

Lorotni do naan.

hiith
May 18, 2014

It seems pretty sound to me.

by hiith
May 18, 2014

It seems pretty sound to me.

yaropolk
May 24, 2014

suffix- aar. may form an adjective? 

Power - Suleyk      (Canon)

Powerful - Suleykaar  (Canon)

An powerful beast

True - Vahzah (Canon)

Truth - Vahzen  (Canon)

Truthful – Vahzenaar?( Non-canon), Vahzaar ? (Non-canon),  Vahzahus\ Vahzus?

a truthful man 

by yaropolk
May 24, 2014

suffix- aar. may form an adjective? 

Power - Suleyk      (Canon)

Powerful - Suleykaar  (Canon)

An powerful beast

True - Vahzah (Canon)

Truth - Vahzen  (Canon)

Truthful – Vahzenaar?( Non-canon), Vahzaar ? (Non-canon),  Vahzahus\ Vahzus?

a truthful man 

yaropolk
May 24, 2014

suffix -us to distinguish an adjective from a noun?

снежный  -  snow (adjective) - snowy - Odus
снег           - snow (noun) -                    - Od

by yaropolk
May 24, 2014

hiith
May 25, 2014
yaropolk

We know of this one already: LINK

I am interested in the -aar suffix. Like kras and krasaar or jun and junaar (all canon).

by hiith
May 25, 2014
yaropolk

We know of this one already: LINK

I am interested in the -aar suffix. Like kras and krasaar or jun and junaar (all canon).

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 25, 2014

Here's a list of all canon words that are suffixed with -aar:

• Jun "king" - Junaar "kingdom"
  • Kras "sick" - Krasaar "sickness" - Krasnovaar "disease"
  • Suleyk "power" - Suleykaar "powerful"
  • possibly also Hun "hero" - Hungaar "heroic"

Other words with -aar:

• Bonaar "humble"
  • Evenaar "extinguish"
  • Fonaar "charge"
  • Pindaar "plain"
  • Sahsunaar "villager"
  • possibly also Uznahgaar "unbridled"

I didn't list words that are one syllable like gaar "unleash," or words where -aar doesn't exist on its own. For example qahnaar "to vanquish" is likely not qahn aarsunvaar "beast" is likely not sunvaar.

In two of the four main examples, suleykaar and hungaar-aar makes an adjective much like the existing (also semi-canon) affixes zo- and -kei do.

In krasaar we see it making a noun from an adjective like "-ness," which the semi-canon suffix -om also does as seen in canon vulom "darkness" from canon vul "dark."

Junaar is tricky because it could be interpreted as a compound word, "king's servants," referring to a whole kingdom as a king's servants. If we take it literally, then -aar here is acting as the suffix "-dom," "dominion." However one might then expect the canon word for "wisdom" to be onikaar instead of onikaan. Of course, just because an English word uses a specific suffix doesn't mean its Dovahzul equivalent would use the same suffix either.

Perhaps we might decide to revise some invented words based on this. For example, the current word for "freedom" is stinun. Perhaps it should be stinaar.

by paarthurnax
May 25, 2014

Here's a list of all canon words that are suffixed with -aar:

• Jun "king" - Junaar "kingdom"
  • Kras "sick" - Krasaar "sickness" - Krasnovaar "disease"
  • Suleyk "power" - Suleykaar "powerful"
  • possibly also Hun "hero" - Hungaar "heroic"

Other words with -aar:

• Bonaar "humble"
  • Evenaar "extinguish"
  • Fonaar "charge"
  • Pindaar "plain"
  • Sahsunaar "villager"
  • possibly also Uznahgaar "unbridled"

I didn't list words that are one syllable like gaar "unleash," or words where -aar doesn't exist on its own. For example qahnaar "to vanquish" is likely not qahn aarsunvaar "beast" is likely not sunvaar.

In two of the four main examples, suleykaar and hungaar-aar makes an adjective much like the existing (also semi-canon) affixes zo- and -kei do.

In krasaar we see it making a noun from an adjective like "-ness," which the semi-canon suffix -om also does as seen in canon vulom "darkness" from canon vul "dark."

Junaar is tricky because it could be interpreted as a compound word, "king's servants," referring to a whole kingdom as a king's servants. If we take it literally, then -aar here is acting as the suffix "-dom," "dominion." However one might then expect the canon word for "wisdom" to be onikaar instead of onikaan. Of course, just because an English word uses a specific suffix doesn't mean its Dovahzul equivalent would use the same suffix either.

Perhaps we might decide to revise some invented words based on this. For example, the current word for "freedom" is stinun. Perhaps it should be stinaar.

yaropolk
May 28, 2014

Gold, Golden Yuvon 

Dark Vul Вуль 
Darkness Vulom 
Night Vulon 

Red Sahqo 
Crimson Sahqon 

Gray Sadon 

Angry Rahgron 
Rage Rahgol 
Anger Rahgot 

Now Nu 
Only Nunon 

Glory Moro 

Glory Moron 

I guess that the suffix-on(n) to form adverbs (answers the question "how?"). I do not know English grammar and so I write in both languages . as in the English version of the text that I want to say may seem a just anything (unclear, it's incomprehensible).

холод - noun - cold (What's this?)

холодный - adjective - cold (icy)  (what quality?)

холодить (морозить) - verb - cool (freeze) (What to do?)

холодно - adverb - coldly (as, how?)

with the arrival of winter was cold outside (с приходом зимы на улице стало холодно) adverb (quality weather) answers the question "how do?" "What happened with the advent of winter?"  (maybe I'm confused with the compound nominal predicate)

Cold kills people (холод ÑƒÐ±Ð¸Ð²Ð°ÐµÑ‚ людей) noun answers the question "who?" killing people

by yaropolk
May 28, 2014

Gold, Golden Yuvon 

Dark Vul Вуль 
Darkness Vulom 
Night Vulon 

Red Sahqo 
Crimson Sahqon 

Gray Sadon 

Angry Rahgron 
Rage Rahgol 
Anger Rahgot 

Now Nu 
Only Nunon 

Glory Moro 

Glory Moron 

I guess that the suffix-on(n) to form adverbs (answers the question "how?"). I do not know English grammar and so I write in both languages . as in the English version of the text that I want to say may seem a just anything (unclear, it's incomprehensible).

холод - noun - cold (What's this?)

холодный - adjective - cold (icy)  (what quality?)

холодить (морозить) - verb - cool (freeze) (What to do?)

холодно - adverb - coldly (as, how?)

with the arrival of winter was cold outside (с приходом зимы на улице стало холодно) adverb (quality weather) answers the question "how do?" "What happened with the advent of winter?"  (maybe I'm confused with the compound nominal predicate)

Cold kills people (холод ÑƒÐ±Ð¸Ð²Ð°ÐµÑ‚ людей) noun answers the question "who?" killing people

yaropolk
May 28, 2014

Junaar is tricky because it could be interpreted as a compound word, "king's servants," referring to a whole kingdom as a king's servants. If we take it literally, then -aar here is acting as the suffix "-dom," "dominion."

I think - it is a compound word. King + servant (s), dragon standards it already kingdom. ie king (ruler) and his household (slaves. land, etc.). how to express this idea in one word? So it happened - Junaar

by yaropolk
May 28, 2014

Junaar is tricky because it could be interpreted as a compound word, "king's servants," referring to a whole kingdom as a king's servants. If we take it literally, then -aar here is acting as the suffix "-dom," "dominion."

I think - it is a compound word. King + servant (s), dragon standards it already kingdom. ie king (ruler) and his household (slaves. land, etc.). how to express this idea in one word? So it happened - Junaar

<<  <  1  2  3  4 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.