A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 28, 2014

I would actually say let's make it from a different word, perhaps "Nos", "to strike." My thinking there is if we make a word similar to "Nahkaar" to mean "retaliate", then we may as well just have "Nahkaar" mean "retaliate".

by paarthurnax
April 28, 2014

I would actually say let's make it from a different word, perhaps "Nos", "to strike." My thinking there is if we make a word similar to "Nahkaar" to mean "retaliate", then we may as well just have "Nahkaar" mean "retaliate".

Foduiiz
April 28, 2014

Golz

uh... qethsegol?

by Foduiiz
April 28, 2014

Golz

uh... qethsegol?

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 28, 2014
qobofus

Golz

uh... qethsegol?

Both are canon words. "Golz" is shorter, "Qethsegol" is a longer compound that means "bone of the earth" and is used most often to refer to the Word Walls.

by paarthurnax
April 28, 2014
qobofus

Golz

uh... qethsegol?

Both are canon words. "Golz" is shorter, "Qethsegol" is a longer compound that means "bone of the earth" and is used most often to refer to the Word Walls.

Kleindolph
April 28, 2014
paarthurnax

I like your thinking! Would it translate to 'Strike Back', this new word? Would it be styled for 'Strike' and 'return'? How would you personally style the word? I ask so I have an idea of the process of producing new words.

by Kleindolph
April 28, 2014
paarthurnax

I like your thinking! Would it translate to 'Strike Back', this new word? Would it be styled for 'Strike' and 'return'? How would you personally style the word? I ask so I have an idea of the process of producing new words.

Mirkrilaar
April 29, 2014
Kleindolph
paarthurnax

I added "decrepit" to "Sahlovik" and "deride" to "Wiif". There is a canon word for "scorn" so I left that be. I also left "Nahkaar" as "revenge" alone since it's strictly in the "revenge/vengeance/avenge" family of words. I think a new word would be best that would fit "to retaliate" and "retaliation/reprisal".

Would you suggest a word for "to retaliate" that was somewhat similar in nature to "Nahkaar"? Since retaliation is a sort of revenge? or is the spirit of the words too different? If they embody similar spirit I would suggest "Nahkris" or "Nahkriis", or something same.

I was actually thinking of making a word for "retalliate", but I thought that the "re-" was a prefix, and I didnt know if "talliate" was even a word at all.

by Mirkrilaar
April 29, 2014
Kleindolph
paarthurnax

I added "decrepit" to "Sahlovik" and "deride" to "Wiif". There is a canon word for "scorn" so I left that be. I also left "Nahkaar" as "revenge" alone since it's strictly in the "revenge/vengeance/avenge" family of words. I think a new word would be best that would fit "to retaliate" and "retaliation/reprisal".

Would you suggest a word for "to retaliate" that was somewhat similar in nature to "Nahkaar"? Since retaliation is a sort of revenge? or is the spirit of the words too different? If they embody similar spirit I would suggest "Nahkris" or "Nahkriis", or something same.

I was actually thinking of making a word for "retalliate", but I thought that the "re-" was a prefix, and I didnt know if "talliate" was even a word at all.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 29, 2014

It comes from the Latin "retaliat" which means "to return in kind". So you could use the prefix "Or-" with "Nos" to get "re-strike", though maybe that might not fit best. Perhaps a compound, "Mindinos", "after-strike", or "Daalnos", "return-strike".

by paarthurnax
April 29, 2014

It comes from the Latin "retaliat" which means "to return in kind". So you could use the prefix "Or-" with "Nos" to get "re-strike", though maybe that might not fit best. Perhaps a compound, "Mindinos", "after-strike", or "Daalnos", "return-strike".

Mirkrilaar
April 29, 2014
paarthurnax

That will work, and it makes sense.

by Mirkrilaar
April 29, 2014
paarthurnax

That will work, and it makes sense.

pokiemoon
April 30, 2014

Qaariv

I apparently tend to do this a lot (ugh hate myself). Could someone put in the russish translation in again. I'm sorry I promise to look out better in the future. pokiemoon

by pokiemoon
April 30, 2014

Qaariv

I apparently tend to do this a lot (ugh hate myself). Could someone put in the russish translation in again. I'm sorry I promise to look out better in the future. pokiemoon

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 30, 2014
pokiemoon

Qaariv

No worries, fixed.

by paarthurnax
April 30, 2014
pokiemoon

Qaariv

No worries, fixed.

Foduiiz
April 30, 2014

Fahdonmaar

Shouldn't this use -dein; "-ship"? Fahdondein? Or fahdonein?

by Foduiiz
April 30, 2014

Fahdonmaar

Shouldn't this use -dein; "-ship"? Fahdondein? Or fahdonein?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 1, 2014

That's what it was originally, actually. It was changed to reflect the canon suffix seen in briinahmaar, "sisterhood," to make "friendhood." -hood and -ship are synonym suffixes in English. It could very well be changed back too.

by paarthurnax
May 1, 2014

That's what it was originally, actually. It was changed to reflect the canon suffix seen in briinahmaar, "sisterhood," to make "friendhood." -hood and -ship are synonym suffixes in English. It could very well be changed back too.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 1, 2014

Sedin

I think we should find one-syllable alternatives for this and the word "Welkand," "west." Perhaps "Sem" or "Som" for "south," and "Ver" or "Wer" for "west," kind of related to their opposites "Brom" and "Jer."

by paarthurnax
May 1, 2014

Sedin

I think we should find one-syllable alternatives for this and the word "Welkand," "west." Perhaps "Sem" or "Som" for "south," and "Ver" or "Wer" for "west," kind of related to their opposites "Brom" and "Jer."

TRBagon
May 3, 2014

Zurun

I think the word "Eccentric" should be added into this definition.

by TRBagon
May 3, 2014

Zurun

I think the word "Eccentric" should be added into this definition.

Foduiiz
May 3, 2014

Ahreyn

I think this should also translate to 'Value' (as in the verb, 'to value')

by Foduiiz
May 3, 2014

Ahreyn

I think this should also translate to 'Value' (as in the verb, 'to value')

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 3, 2014

Added translations to both.

by paarthurnax
May 3, 2014

Added translations to both.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.