A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 28, 2014
TheFemaleCharlie

Gelaaghahdrim

Uh, are we sure this is the correct root? Pretty sure the root is "laaghahdrim". Not sure if that's my error made in submission or what, but this is definitely not the correct root word.

This is a mistake, fixed.

by paarthurnax
November 28, 2014
TheFemaleCharlie

Gelaaghahdrim

Uh, are we sure this is the correct root? Pretty sure the root is "laaghahdrim". Not sure if that's my error made in submission or what, but this is definitely not the correct root word.

This is a mistake, fixed.

hiith
November 29, 2014

Sharaan

synonym: operate

by hiith
November 29, 2014

Sharaan

synonym: operate

scrptrx
November 29, 2014

@Qeln, the thing about the "eln" sound is that it doesn't appear in canon. The other two places it appears are eln "eight," and feln "era." I think it'd work best if it was shortened to qel (this would be pronounced like "quell," so it wouldn't quite be a homophone with kel ... maybe that's too close for comfort).

Here's an idea. There's the canon word sod "deed/exploit" - that is, a heroic act of some sort. Tack on the prefix vo- and the word vosod could mean "sin/vice/crime/etc." Then I suppose zovosod would be "sinful."

I like it!

by scrptrx
November 29, 2014

@Qeln, the thing about the "eln" sound is that it doesn't appear in canon. The other two places it appears are eln "eight," and feln "era." I think it'd work best if it was shortened to qel (this would be pronounced like "quell," so it wouldn't quite be a homophone with kel ... maybe that's too close for comfort).

Here's an idea. There's the canon word sod "deed/exploit" - that is, a heroic act of some sort. Tack on the prefix vo- and the word vosod could mean "sin/vice/crime/etc." Then I suppose zovosod would be "sinful."

I like it!

scrptrx
November 29, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

I would suggest borrowing the French phrase into Dovahzul instead.

Nope. I do not agree. That sounds hideous and unnecessary to me.

deja vu is a borrowed phrase in English so it is used in french but in the english lexicon. what's the issue here? just use deja vu. everyone knows what it is unless they live under a rock.

by scrptrx
November 29, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

I would suggest borrowing the French phrase into Dovahzul instead.

Nope. I do not agree. That sounds hideous and unnecessary to me.

deja vu is a borrowed phrase in English so it is used in french but in the english lexicon. what's the issue here? just use deja vu. everyone knows what it is unless they live under a rock.

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 29, 2014
Brynja

I can see where hiith is coming from. There's an inherent wonkiness to modern words, in that there's a rather subjective line between when you should make a modern word and when you should just borrow a term. English is the ultimate borrowing language. Dovahzul isn't quite like this, so I'd understand not wanting to use loanwords that would feel really out of place. The concept behind deja vu isn't unique or specific to French, either. I think I've come to terms with having a word for it.

by paarthurnax
November 29, 2014
Brynja

I can see where hiith is coming from. There's an inherent wonkiness to modern words, in that there's a rather subjective line between when you should make a modern word and when you should just borrow a term. English is the ultimate borrowing language. Dovahzul isn't quite like this, so I'd understand not wanting to use loanwords that would feel really out of place. The concept behind deja vu isn't unique or specific to French, either. I think I've come to terms with having a word for it.

Ahmuldein
November 29, 2014

She's got a point. I don't think the accents matter enough.

by Ahmuldein
November 29, 2014

She's got a point. I don't think the accents matter enough.

hiith
November 30, 2014

Gespein

In the dialogue file, it translate "vosaraan" as both "do not wait" and "do not delay", so perhaps "saraan" could also mean "delay"?

by hiith
November 30, 2014

Gespein

In the dialogue file, it translate "vosaraan" as both "do not wait" and "do not delay", so perhaps "saraan" could also mean "delay"?

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 30, 2014
hiith

Gespein

I added "delay" to saraan.

An important note or question is that there are two senses of "delay" to consider. One is "to delay something" while the other is "to delay for something," which is what Paarthurnax means with vosaraan. For example, consider the sentence zu'u saraan daani. This should mean "I await my doom" rather than "I've delayed my doom."

We could say that saraan means both senses, but I think this would be confusing. Considering this, I think gespein should still exist.

by paarthurnax
November 30, 2014
hiith

Gespein

I added "delay" to saraan.

An important note or question is that there are two senses of "delay" to consider. One is "to delay something" while the other is "to delay for something," which is what Paarthurnax means with vosaraan. For example, consider the sentence zu'u saraan daani. This should mean "I await my doom" rather than "I've delayed my doom."

We could say that saraan means both senses, but I think this would be confusing. Considering this, I think gespein should still exist.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 1, 2014

Miil

This is an almost stupid suggestion, but what if the word for "woman" was "Vomun"? It's a bit uncanny how similar that ends up being to the Cyrodiilic, kind like "Viing."

by paarthurnax
December 1, 2014

Miil

This is an almost stupid suggestion, but what if the word for "woman" was "Vomun"? It's a bit uncanny how similar that ends up being to the Cyrodiilic, kind like "Viing."

hiith
December 1, 2014
paarthurnax

Miil

I rather like "miil" as it is. You theoretically could use the vo- prefix to define lots of things, like "moon" being "vo-sun" or "ice" being "vo-fire", which is not the case (canonically). Using that, I think that this is something that would be best as not "vo- -ified". I can't give much reason why, other than that I just think it's good as it is.

by hiith
December 1, 2014
paarthurnax

Miil

I rather like "miil" as it is. You theoretically could use the vo- prefix to define lots of things, like "moon" being "vo-sun" or "ice" being "vo-fire", which is not the case (canonically). Using that, I think that this is something that would be best as not "vo- -ified". I can't give much reason why, other than that I just think it's good as it is.

DremSahrot
December 1, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

Miil

I agree with Hiith. My reason to dislike using vo- here is because in a word like Vokun or Vomindok there is truly the absence of Kun or Mindok. Just like the moon and the sun aren't one lacking the other women aren't what you have when you lack men.

by DremSahrot
December 1, 2014
hiith
paarthurnax

Miil

I agree with Hiith. My reason to dislike using vo- here is because in a word like Vokun or Vomindok there is truly the absence of Kun or Mindok. Just like the moon and the sun aren't one lacking the other women aren't what you have when you lack men.

DremSahrot
December 1, 2014

Kriithul

July/Sun's Height from Kriith (Height) and Shul (Sun). However Kriith and it's root Kriis are now deleted. Does anyone know why these two words were deleted and should we maybe change this word? Or are Kriith and Kriis now something of forgotten words only relevant for ethymology?

by DremSahrot
December 1, 2014

Kriithul

July/Sun's Height from Kriith (Height) and Shul (Sun). However Kriith and it's root Kriis are now deleted. Does anyone know why these two words were deleted and should we maybe change this word? Or are Kriith and Kriis now something of forgotten words only relevant for ethymology?

hiith
December 1, 2014

Uznahgaar

Noooooo... Its uznahgar. No double-a: just a.

by hiith
December 1, 2014

Uznahgaar

Noooooo... Its uznahgar. No double-a: just a.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 1, 2014
Assile

Kriithul

Kriith and Kriis were revised to semi-canon words, Lokom and LokKriithul is an oversight that missed the revision. I've edited it now to Shulnaar, or "sun's peak," essentially the same meaning but it's not likely to ever change again since shul and naar are both canon.

by paarthurnax
December 1, 2014
Assile

Kriithul

Kriith and Kriis were revised to semi-canon words, Lokom and LokKriithul is an oversight that missed the revision. I've edited it now to Shulnaar, or "sun's peak," essentially the same meaning but it's not likely to ever change again since shul and naar are both canon.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 1, 2014

The word vosod has now been added. In addition, I edited the former word wultriin "criminal" to vosodiik and expanded its definition. The words qelnwult, and vopruziig have been deleted.

by paarthurnax
December 1, 2014

The word vosod has now been added. In addition, I edited the former word wultriin "criminal" to vosodiik and expanded its definition. The words qelnwult, and vopruziig have been deleted.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.