Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Modern words poll.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 

shynight
April 12, 2014

I voted for the movement. I understand how some people believe that including modern words is taking away from the original vision of Dovahzul, but I tend to think of it like this: Language evolves alongside technology. Things like chariots and crossbows didn't exist from the beginning of time. As new things are invented, new words are made to describe these inventions. And while TES is based on a sort of medieval times feel, it's entirely plausible that Tamriel in a few thousand years could look like our modern society. No, things like guns and cars and the Internet don't exist in the current timeline of TES, but it would be logical to assume that these things could theoretically occur in the future, and if they did, words would be created for them.

I don't really feel new words detract anything from the language. If you're having a conversation that's in-world, like a roleplay or something, the fact that those modern words exist isn't going to matter because they would never come up. If, however, you want to have an average conversation IRL, not having those modern words causes problems. It's easier for people that don't want modern words to simply ignore the fact that they exist than it is for people that do want modern words to struggle with everyday conversations because the words don't exist.

But again, this is just my take on it.

by shynight
April 12, 2014

I voted for the movement. I understand how some people believe that including modern words is taking away from the original vision of Dovahzul, but I tend to think of it like this: Language evolves alongside technology. Things like chariots and crossbows didn't exist from the beginning of time. As new things are invented, new words are made to describe these inventions. And while TES is based on a sort of medieval times feel, it's entirely plausible that Tamriel in a few thousand years could look like our modern society. No, things like guns and cars and the Internet don't exist in the current timeline of TES, but it would be logical to assume that these things could theoretically occur in the future, and if they did, words would be created for them.

I don't really feel new words detract anything from the language. If you're having a conversation that's in-world, like a roleplay or something, the fact that those modern words exist isn't going to matter because they would never come up. If, however, you want to have an average conversation IRL, not having those modern words causes problems. It's easier for people that don't want modern words to simply ignore the fact that they exist than it is for people that do want modern words to struggle with everyday conversations because the words don't exist.

But again, this is just my take on it.

paarthurnax
Administrator
April 14, 2014

I think we'll be moving forward with this, so I've started a new thread on the specific guidelines for how the "modern canon" will work.

by paarthurnax
April 14, 2014

I think we'll be moving forward with this, so I've started a new thread on the specific guidelines for how the "modern canon" will work.

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.