Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 16, 2014

Ge-

This comes hard to admit, but I feel quite strongly that this prefix should be changed along with the prefix "Ver-." Both were inspired by German verb prefixes that are identical, but mean entirely different things. In German, "ge-" makes past participles. This makes things very needlessly confusing for any German who might attempt to learn Dovahzul.

Apart from the conflicts with German, those prefixes don't fit the dragon language all that well. "E" is rarely used, and "Er" especially is very atypical of canon.

I have a few suggestions for alternatives to "Ge-": Mo-/No-, So-, Ti-, Tu-. Feel free to make any others. I could be a suffix, too.

by paarthurnax
December 16, 2014

Ge-

This comes hard to admit, but I feel quite strongly that this prefix should be changed along with the prefix "Ver-." Both were inspired by German verb prefixes that are identical, but mean entirely different things. In German, "ge-" makes past participles. This makes things very needlessly confusing for any German who might attempt to learn Dovahzul.

Apart from the conflicts with German, those prefixes don't fit the dragon language all that well. "E" is rarely used, and "Er" especially is very atypical of canon.

I have a few suggestions for alternatives to "Ge-": Mo-/No-, So-, Ti-, Tu-. Feel free to make any others. I could be a suffix, too.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 16, 2014
Foduiiz

Remember I suggested nos as a canon alternative to this prefix?

Ah! That is a good suggestion. It would be two separate words, then. How would this work for dictionary entries, or would they be deleted altogether and perhaps something can be added to the lessons?

by paarthurnax
December 16, 2014
Foduiiz

Ah! That is a good suggestion. It would be two separate words, then. How would this work for dictionary entries, or would they be deleted altogether and perhaps something can be added to the lessons?

Foduiiz
December 17, 2014
paarthurnax
Foduiiz

The latter, I suppose. Thing is, that means the translator will have lots of gaps in it. Unless you can teach it to recognise words like 'frighten' and 'enlarge'. 

by Foduiiz
December 17, 2014
paarthurnax
Foduiiz

The latter, I suppose. Thing is, that means the translator will have lots of gaps in it. Unless you can teach it to recognise words like 'frighten' and 'enlarge'. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 17, 2014
Foduiiz
paarthurnax
Foduiiz

That won't be too big of a problem, actually. As long as the translator can account for it, I think it'll be okay.

by paarthurnax
December 17, 2014
Foduiiz
paarthurnax
Foduiiz

That won't be too big of a problem, actually. As long as the translator can account for it, I think it'll be okay.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 18, 2014

Yos

This set of words should be replaced with the canon "Frin."

by paarthurnax
December 18, 2014

Yos

This set of words should be replaced with the canon "Frin."

DovahKiinZaan
December 18, 2014

Wuldsetiid

Paarthurnax also uses this word to describe the end times. Is he saying that the dovahkiin's actions will be chaotic or is this another word for 'end times'?

by DovahKiinZaan
December 18, 2014

Wuldsetiid

Paarthurnax also uses this word to describe the end times. Is he saying that the dovahkiin's actions will be chaotic or is this another word for 'end times'?

hiith
December 18, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Wuldsetiid

The only instance of "wuldsetiid" in the captions is translated (canonically) as "the whirlwind/vortex of time".

Here is the section of the file that it is in:

Even we who ride the currents of Time cannot see past Time's end. Wuldsetiid los tahrodiis.    Wuldsetiid los tahrodiis = "the whirlwind/vortex of time is treacherous/turbulent"

by hiith
December 18, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Wuldsetiid

The only instance of "wuldsetiid" in the captions is translated (canonically) as "the whirlwind/vortex of time".

Here is the section of the file that it is in:

Even we who ride the currents of Time cannot see past Time's end. Wuldsetiid los tahrodiis.    Wuldsetiid los tahrodiis = "the whirlwind/vortex of time is treacherous/turbulent"

DovahKiinZaan
December 18, 2014

Sorry, I was thinking of Dinoksetiid, which is already a word

by DovahKiinZaan
December 18, 2014

Sorry, I was thinking of Dinoksetiid, which is already a word

hiith
December 18, 2014

Kogaan

Paarthurnax (in-game) uses it to mean "thankfully", and perhaps it could similarly be used to mean "thankful". Could those be added as definitions?

by hiith
December 18, 2014

Kogaan

Paarthurnax (in-game) uses it to mean "thankfully", and perhaps it could similarly be used to mean "thankful". Could those be added as definitions?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 18, 2014
hiith

Kogaan

Sure, I've added these. So as an example of usage, "Kogaan mu lost pogaas praan," "thankfully we had much rest." The most literal translation of this would be "(It's a) blessing we had much rest."

by paarthurnax
December 18, 2014
hiith

Kogaan

Sure, I've added these. So as an example of usage, "Kogaan mu lost pogaas praan," "thankfully we had much rest." The most literal translation of this would be "(It's a) blessing we had much rest."

DovahKiinZaan
December 19, 2014

Bronjun

Isn't this also meaning 'High King'?

by DovahKiinZaan
December 19, 2014

Bronjun

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 19, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Bronjun

According to canon, this word specifically refers to jarls - Paarthurnax uses it in reference to Jarl Balgruuf. If this was an invented word I'd be open to the suggestion.

by paarthurnax
December 19, 2014
DovahKiinZaan

Bronjun

According to canon, this word specifically refers to jarls - Paarthurnax uses it in reference to Jarl Balgruuf. If this was an invented word I'd be open to the suggestion.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 22, 2014

Vahk

"Ah" shouldn't be used here. This also conflicts with "Vaak," "to ram." I'm open to any alternative suggestions, non-canon or semi-canon.

by paarthurnax
December 22, 2014

Vahk

"Ah" shouldn't be used here. This also conflicts with "Vaak," "to ram." I'm open to any alternative suggestions, non-canon or semi-canon.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.