A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  100  101  102  103 > >>  

scrptrx
December 22, 2014

Vahrugrii

So, in re-reading all the Word Wall canon stuff, I realized that each time, the Wall is referred to as a "Qethsegol", lit. "bone of stone". They aren't grave markers necessarily, but memorials to a person or feat. Could this word, Qethsegol, be used as to mean "memorial"?

Very likely it's sort of a euphemism for something that lasts forever. Bones of vertebrates last longer than flesh. Rocks last longer than leaves. Bones of the earth. Memorial.

by scrptrx
December 22, 2014

Vahrugrii

So, in re-reading all the Word Wall canon stuff, I realized that each time, the Wall is referred to as a "Qethsegol", lit. "bone of stone". They aren't grave markers necessarily, but memorials to a person or feat. Could this word, Qethsegol, be used as to mean "memorial"?

Very likely it's sort of a euphemism for something that lasts forever. Bones of vertebrates last longer than flesh. Rocks last longer than leaves. Bones of the earth. Memorial.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 22, 2014
Brynja

Vahrugrii

That's a very interesting interpretation. I can't recall the word qethsegol being used in any other contexts besides the Word Walls. There is besides the normal word golz for "stone," so this is a great way to differentiate the two. Qethsegol would specifically refer to a memorial, monument, or tombstone.

by paarthurnax
December 22, 2014
Brynja

Vahrugrii

That's a very interesting interpretation. I can't recall the word qethsegol being used in any other contexts besides the Word Walls. There is besides the normal word golz for "stone," so this is a great way to differentiate the two. Qethsegol would specifically refer to a memorial, monument, or tombstone.

hiith
December 23, 2014

Nivet

In the dialogue file, it translates "thu'um wah thu'um" as "shout versus shout", so perhaps "wah" could be "versus"?

by hiith
December 23, 2014

Nivet

In the dialogue file, it translates "thu'um wah thu'um" as "shout versus shout", so perhaps "wah" could be "versus"?

hiith
December 24, 2014

Meyz

Are you sure that this means "come"? It seems that "boaan" is used to mean "come" in-game, in "tiid boaan" and "boaan tiid vokriha suleyksejun kruziik?"

by hiith
December 24, 2014

Meyz

Are you sure that this means "come"? It seems that "boaan" is used to mean "come" in-game, in "tiid boaan" and "boaan tiid vokriha suleyksejun kruziik?"

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 24, 2014

@Nivet, nice catch! I've removed nivet and midrak, and expanded the definition of wah to include both "versus" and "against."

@Meyz, by Bethesda's definition, this word should only be used to mean "come/become," as in "come unfurled." However, there's this line by one of the dragon priests:

Wo meyz wah dii vul junaar? "Who comes to my dark kingdom?"

Which kind of throws that off. Anyway, I'd recommend using bo for the movement sense of "come."

by paarthurnax
December 24, 2014

@Nivet, nice catch! I've removed nivet and midrak, and expanded the definition of wah to include both "versus" and "against."

@Meyz, by Bethesda's definition, this word should only be used to mean "come/become," as in "come unfurled." However, there's this line by one of the dragon priests:

Wo meyz wah dii vul junaar? "Who comes to my dark kingdom?"

Which kind of throws that off. Anyway, I'd recommend using bo for the movement sense of "come."

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 25, 2014

Qolaak

I have a suggestion on this. My idea for the word is "Tanzselov", a compound of "Tanz"-dance, "Se"-of, and "Lovaas"(halved)-song; and would mean "Song of dance"

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 25, 2014

Qolaak

I have a suggestion on this. My idea for the word is "Tanzselov", a compound of "Tanz"-dance, "Se"-of, and "Lovaas"(halved)-song; and would mean "Song of dance"

hiith
December 27, 2014

Aavgolz

could also be "magnetic" (likewise "rikaavgolz" could be "electromagnetic")

by hiith
December 27, 2014

Aavgolz

could also be "magnetic" (likewise "rikaavgolz" could be "electromagnetic")

hiith
December 27, 2014

Kalah

Wouldn't "tey" suffice?

by hiith
December 27, 2014

Kalah

Wouldn't "tey" suffice?

hiith
December 27, 2014

Undoro

Perhaps this could be merged with "bovit"

by hiith
December 27, 2014

Undoro

Perhaps this could be merged with "bovit"

hiith
December 27, 2014

Griindol

Perhaps "kinda" and "sorta" could be synonyms? I know that this isn't exactly what the word means, but I feel like it could encapsulate those words (I don't know if "encapsulate" is a real word, I just wanted to use it).

by hiith
December 27, 2014

Griindol

Perhaps "kinda" and "sorta" could be synonyms? I know that this isn't exactly what the word means, but I feel like it could encapsulate those words (I don't know if "encapsulate" is a real word, I just wanted to use it).

hiith
December 27, 2014

Naal

Does this also mean "nearby"? If so, it could be added as a definition.

by hiith
December 27, 2014

Naal

Does this also mean "nearby"? If so, it could be added as a definition.

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 28, 2014

Vulmindok

im just saying this here to point out the oubvious, but shouldnt this be "Vedeykel", to mean "Ved"-Black, and "Deykel"-Book.

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 28, 2014

Vulmindok

im just saying this here to point out the oubvious, but shouldnt this be "Vedeykel", to mean "Ved"-Black, and "Deykel"-Book.

Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

Nahgah

The dovah word for "fury" -- nah -- is misspelled here as "nag." Also, not that this is important, but isn't the word for "yield" gahvon, not gah? I'm sure this note is implying that gah could be related to gahvon, but I still couldn't help but point it out.

by Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

Nahgah

The dovah word for "fury" -- nah -- is misspelled here as "nag." Also, not that this is important, but isn't the word for "yield" gahvon, not gah? I'm sure this note is implying that gah could be related to gahvon, but I still couldn't help but point it out.

DremSahrot
December 28, 2014

Dirsul

I'm not entirely clear on why "Death-day" would be a good choice for tomorrow, why not use something like Mindin (after) instead of Dir?

by DremSahrot
December 28, 2014

Dirsul

I'm not entirely clear on why "Death-day" would be a good choice for tomorrow, why not use something like Mindin (after) instead of Dir?

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 28, 2014

Lots of stuff to cover here!

@Qolaak, I agree that something semi-canon would fit better here. Tanzselov would mean "dance of nearing," so I made this lovaassetanz, which would be "song of dance."

@Aavgolz, added "magnetic" and "electromagnetic."

@Kalah, yes, I deleted this and related words, and added "story," "fable," and "myth" to point to tey.

@Undoro, deleted undoro and related words, and moved the definitions over to bovit and its related words.

@Griindol, "kinda" and "sorta" aren't actual words, they're informal contractions of "kind of" and "sort of." "Encapsulate" is an actual word though. I'm not the biggest fan of the word griindol itself. It looks like more of a noun than an adjective or adverb.

@Naal, looking at all the places it's used, naal doesn't appear to be used in the sense of "near." It's only ever used in the instrumental sense; "he was eaten by a dragon," "by his honor is sworn." I think we'll need a separate word for "by" meaning "near" and "nearby." We could use the existing word lovun, or maybe that word could change to something shorter.

@Vulmindok, it's not necessary for it to be exactly like the English name. This is the dragon's own term for it, "dark knowledge." A similar example would be the dragon name for Whiterun: Ahrolsedovah "hill of the dragon," rather than something like Sotru.

@Nahgah, I fixed the typo. I also wouldn't mind seeing this word changed, since "fury" isn't all that related to definitions listed there. It might be more appropriate as a word for "sorceror," for which there's already a canon word.

@Dirsul, I have no idea what I was thinking here, so I've edited this to mindinsul.

by paarthurnax
December 28, 2014

Lots of stuff to cover here!

@Qolaak, I agree that something semi-canon would fit better here. Tanzselov would mean "dance of nearing," so I made this lovaassetanz, which would be "song of dance."

@Aavgolz, added "magnetic" and "electromagnetic."

@Kalah, yes, I deleted this and related words, and added "story," "fable," and "myth" to point to tey.

@Undoro, deleted undoro and related words, and moved the definitions over to bovit and its related words.

@Griindol, "kinda" and "sorta" aren't actual words, they're informal contractions of "kind of" and "sort of." "Encapsulate" is an actual word though. I'm not the biggest fan of the word griindol itself. It looks like more of a noun than an adjective or adverb.

@Naal, looking at all the places it's used, naal doesn't appear to be used in the sense of "near." It's only ever used in the instrumental sense; "he was eaten by a dragon," "by his honor is sworn." I think we'll need a separate word for "by" meaning "near" and "nearby." We could use the existing word lovun, or maybe that word could change to something shorter.

@Vulmindok, it's not necessary for it to be exactly like the English name. This is the dragon's own term for it, "dark knowledge." A similar example would be the dragon name for Whiterun: Ahrolsedovah "hill of the dragon," rather than something like Sotru.

@Nahgah, I fixed the typo. I also wouldn't mind seeing this word changed, since "fury" isn't all that related to definitions listed there. It might be more appropriate as a word for "sorceror," for which there's already a canon word.

@Dirsul, I have no idea what I was thinking here, so I've edited this to mindinsul.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.