Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

Perhaps a word like hahrel, "mind-dominate," might work better for this definition? And considering the word I just added (gah, meaning vitality), maybe the new definition of nahgah could become something along the lines of "strengthening" (fury vitality), sort of like how nahlaas means "living" (fury-life)? I don't know. That doesn't really make sense because fury and vitality, in the dragon language especially, are already so similar. Plus I feel like fury-life and fury-vitality are the same exact thing. We probably already have words for these things, anyway, but I'm just throwing ideas out there. Ugh, vomindoraan komeyt hahdrimi. Krosis.

by Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

Perhaps a word like hahrel, "mind-dominate," might work better for this definition? And considering the word I just added (gah, meaning vitality), maybe the new definition of nahgah could become something along the lines of "strengthening" (fury vitality), sort of like how nahlaas means "living" (fury-life)? I don't know. That doesn't really make sense because fury and vitality, in the dragon language especially, are already so similar. Plus I feel like fury-life and fury-vitality are the same exact thing. We probably already have words for these things, anyway, but I'm just throwing ideas out there. Ugh, vomindoraan komeyt hahdrimi. Krosis.

Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

For

Okay. This revision isn't really based on any concrete reason, but I've felt this way about this word for a while and I'm just going to come out and say it: it doesn't really feel like the dragon language. I have tried and tried to get a feel for it but it just feels wrong. I was thinking about words that are similar that could potentially replace it and came to the (hypothetical) word faan. I like it. It seems a little more natural to me, fits a little smoother. I looked at for's related words, and it looks like they could easily accomadate the change, or even benefit from it. For example, foraan might become fanaan or falaanforhah might become faanhah or hahfaanorfor might become orfaan, etc. I know it's probably presumptuous of me to try to revise this word for such an arbitrary reason, but I had to at least try for my own sake.

by Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

For

Okay. This revision isn't really based on any concrete reason, but I've felt this way about this word for a while and I'm just going to come out and say it: it doesn't really feel like the dragon language. I have tried and tried to get a feel for it but it just feels wrong. I was thinking about words that are similar that could potentially replace it and came to the (hypothetical) word faan. I like it. It seems a little more natural to me, fits a little smoother. I looked at for's related words, and it looks like they could easily accomadate the change, or even benefit from it. For example, foraan might become fanaan or falaanforhah might become faanhah or hahfaanorfor might become orfaan, etc. I know it's probably presumptuous of me to try to revise this word for such an arbitrary reason, but I had to at least try for my own sake.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 28, 2014

Actually, I completely agree. "Faan" is a good alternative. This could also be an opportunity to make a word that has some real-world basis, like "Nom," "Non," or "Taal."
by paarthurnax
December 28, 2014

Actually, I completely agree. "Faan" is a good alternative. This could also be an opportunity to make a word that has some real-world basis, like "Nom," "Non," or "Taal."

Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

Oh, that's great! Of those, I really like taal. So I'd say either faan or taal.

by Aaliizah
December 28, 2014

Oh, that's great! Of those, I really like taal. So I'd say either faan or taal.

hiith
December 28, 2014

I still like "for". For the record.

by hiith
December 28, 2014

I still like "for". For the record.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 28, 2014

There are no canon words that end in "-or," so the reason for might feel wrong isn't as arbitrary as you might think. Of the two, I think faan will work best. It flows better, and it's not too different for people who have already learned the word for.

by paarthurnax
December 28, 2014

There are no canon words that end in "-or," so the reason for might feel wrong isn't as arbitrary as you might think. Of the two, I think faan will work best. It flows better, and it's not too different for people who have already learned the word for.

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 28, 2014

Bovaaldah

thats great and all, but the word is spelt "Buoyancy", not "Bouyancy" :P

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 28, 2014

Bovaaldah

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 28, 2014
Scruffy3Janitor

Bovaaldah

Thanks for the correction!

by paarthurnax
December 28, 2014
Scruffy3Janitor

Bovaaldah

Thanks for the correction!

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 28, 2014
paarthurnax
Scruffy3Janitor

Bovaaldah

Thanks for the correction

Your welcome, Paarthurnax

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 28, 2014
paarthurnax
Scruffy3Janitor

Bovaaldah

Thanks for the correction

Your welcome, Paarthurnax

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 29, 2014

Krastak

you can also add 'Regurgitate' to the list

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 29, 2014

Krastak

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 29, 2014
SkraafiiSeShuniik

Krastak

Sure, added. I also extended this word to krastaak.

by paarthurnax
December 29, 2014
SkraafiiSeShuniik

Krastak

Sure, added. I also extended this word to krastaak.

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 29, 2014

Virlaan

shouldnt this actually be Modern as a Program(computer kind) is not something you could see in the middle ages/when Skyrim takes place

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 29, 2014

Virlaan

shouldnt this actually be Modern as a Program(computer kind) is not something you could see in the middle ages/when Skyrim takes place

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

Oskad

you could add 'Capsule', unless you have a better idea

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

Oskad

you could add 'Capsule', unless you have a better idea

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

Filaas

you can add 'Sea Star' to the list

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

Filaas

you can add 'Sea Star' to the list

SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

Draaf

dont forget 'Excrement', 'Feces', and 'Droppings'

by SkraafiiSeShuniik
December 30, 2014

Draaf

dont forget 'Excrement', 'Feces', and 'Droppings'

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  55  56  57  58  59  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.