Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

@Quethsegol Ahrol, that's really interesting! I never considered that it could have been intentional.

@Tiidsinak, I actually really like "time fingers," but hiith has some great suggestions as well. I love the abstract sound of tiidsinak. Maybe we should reserve that for one of the time concepts Paarthurnax mentions that we don't have words for? But then again, I don't know what concept that would be, so maybe we should just keep it the way it is.

by Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

@Quethsegol Ahrol, that's really interesting! I never considered that it could have been intentional.

@Tiidsinak, I actually really like "time fingers," but hiith has some great suggestions as well. I love the abstract sound of tiidsinak. Maybe we should reserve that for one of the time concepts Paarthurnax mentions that we don't have words for? But then again, I don't know what concept that would be, so maybe we should just keep it the way it is.

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014
hiith

Quethsegol Ahrol

"qethsegol" in the description is missing an "l"

Motmahus sinak.

I like tiidfuniik, I'll change it to that.

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014
hiith

Quethsegol Ahrol

"qethsegol" in the description is missing an "l"

Motmahus sinak.

I like tiidfuniik, I'll change it to that.

Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Bild

Should this word be changed? Its pronunciation is a bit inconsistent with most dovah rotte and, to my knowledge, there are no canon rotte ending in -ild. I was thinking something like qaan, which would be related to qah or maybe spaan (but that's a bit of a stretch).

by Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Bild

Should this word be changed? Its pronunciation is a bit inconsistent with most dovah rotte and, to my knowledge, there are no canon rotte ending in -ild. I was thinking something like qaan, which would be related to qah or maybe spaan (but that's a bit of a stretch).

paarthurnax
Administrator
December 30, 2014
Aaliizah

Bild

Should this word be changed? Its pronunciation is inconsistent with most dovah rotte and, to my knowledge, there are no canon rotte ending in -ild. I was thinking something like qaan, which would be related to qah or maybe spaan (but that's a bit of a stretch).

You know, spaan is such a close canon alternative  that I don't know if a separate word is needed. Consider all the ways spaan could be used:

• "Defend": zu'u spaan Keizaal "I shield Skyrim / I defend Skyrim"
  • "Defense": hin spaan los sahlo "your shield(ing) is weak / your defenses are weak"
  • "Defender": zu'u spaan do Keizaal "I am a defender of Skyrim / I am a shield of Skyrim"

That covers bild and most of its related words.

by paarthurnax
December 30, 2014
Aaliizah

Bild

Should this word be changed? Its pronunciation is inconsistent with most dovah rotte and, to my knowledge, there are no canon rotte ending in -ild. I was thinking something like qaan, which would be related to qah or maybe spaan (but that's a bit of a stretch).

You know, spaan is such a close canon alternative  that I don't know if a separate word is needed. Consider all the ways spaan could be used:

• "Defend": zu'u spaan Keizaal "I shield Skyrim / I defend Skyrim"
  • "Defense": hin spaan los sahlo "your shield(ing) is weak / your defenses are weak"
  • "Defender": zu'u spaan do Keizaal "I am a defender of Skyrim / I am a shield of Skyrim"

That covers bild and most of its related words.

Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Awesome! I like that much better. Go for it.

by Aaliizah
December 30, 2014

Awesome! I like that much better. Go for it.

hiith
January 1, 2015

Shur

doesn't "bo" cover this?

by hiith
January 1, 2015

Shur

doesn't "bo" cover this?

hiith
January 1, 2015

Nel

could be merged with "qobo"

by hiith
January 1, 2015

Nel

could be merged with "qobo"

hiith
January 1, 2015

Vuril

synonym: water-well? (may be a bit of a stretch)

by hiith
January 1, 2015

Vuril

synonym: water-well? (may be a bit of a stretch)

hiith
January 1, 2015

Grav

Merge with "kroson"?

Dang, you can tell when I'm working on a dovahzul project when I start suggesting so many revisions.

by hiith
January 1, 2015

Grav

Merge with "kroson"?

Dang, you can tell when I'm working on a dovahzul project when I start suggesting so many revisions.

hiith
January 1, 2015

Oskad

For some reason, nothing shows up when I search for "cupboard"

by hiith
January 1, 2015

Oskad

For some reason, nothing shows up when I search for "cupboard"

hiith
January 1, 2015

Faan

synonym: label

Also, this is a bit too close to "fraan" for my taste...

by hiith
January 1, 2015

Faan

synonym: label

Also, this is a bit too close to "fraan" for my taste...

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 1, 2015

@Shur, deleted.

@Nel, possibly. I'd say this is actually a case where the non-canon could stick around, since it's less unwieldy than qobo and works better with compound words. Perhaps qo itself could be used as an adjective that means "swift / quick as lightning / lightning-like"? Ru qo "run quickly / run like lightning."

@Vuril, yup, it's the same sense of "well." I wouldn't mind seeing this word change due to its closeness to the canon vur "valor."

@Grav, possibly. I don't mind these being separate, and I think grav being short works well with compounds. I think grav could change to something else, maybe something related to mul "strength."

@Oskad, made sure "cupboard" appears in the search.

@Faan, added "label" as a synonym. I think the closeness is fine, given canon words like gaan "stamina" and graan "to rout."

by paarthurnax
January 1, 2015

@Shur, deleted.

@Nel, possibly. I'd say this is actually a case where the non-canon could stick around, since it's less unwieldy than qobo and works better with compound words. Perhaps qo itself could be used as an adjective that means "swift / quick as lightning / lightning-like"? Ru qo "run quickly / run like lightning."

@Vuril, yup, it's the same sense of "well." I wouldn't mind seeing this word change due to its closeness to the canon vur "valor."

@Grav, possibly. I don't mind these being separate, and I think grav being short works well with compounds. I think grav could change to something else, maybe something related to mul "strength."

@Oskad, made sure "cupboard" appears in the search.

@Faan, added "label" as a synonym. I think the closeness is fine, given canon words like gaan "stamina" and graan "to rout."

hiith
January 2, 2015

Oskad

The definitions seem odd, because "cabinet", "cupboard", and "drawer" are different from "jar", "container", and "capsule"

by hiith
January 2, 2015

Oskad

The definitions seem odd, because "cabinet", "cupboard", and "drawer" are different from "jar", "container", and "capsule"

hiith
January 2, 2015
paarthurnax

@Vuril, ... I wouldn't mind seeing this word change due to its closeness to the canon vur "valor."

@Faan, ... I think the closeness is fine, given canon words like gaan "stamina" and graan "to rout."

It can either be close or it can't

Make up your mind, man!

by hiith
January 2, 2015
paarthurnax

@Vuril, ... I wouldn't mind seeing this word change due to its closeness to the canon vur "valor."

@Faan, ... I think the closeness is fine, given canon words like gaan "stamina" and graan "to rout."

It can either be close or it can't

Make up your mind, man!

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 2, 2015

It's a really broad word for anything you can store something in. I'm open to changing. since it's kind of out there.

by paarthurnax
January 2, 2015

It's a really broad word for anything you can store something in. I'm open to changing. since it's kind of out there.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.