Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Liis
Administrator
June 25, 2016
@impishDullahan,

Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers.

This is to include only canon material directly from a source owned by Bethesda, the company behind The Elder Scrolls series.
by Liis
June 25, 2016
@impishDullahan,

Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers.

This is to include only canon material directly from a source owned by Bethesda, the company behind The Elder Scrolls series.

Dezonikso
June 25, 2016
It surprises me how many people come to this very thread, ignoring both the original comments that are seen when you first open the thread as well as the most recent comments stating that this thread is to expand the Canon translations and not make new words, and then suggest new words they created for non-Canon things... But at the same time, I'm not surprised.

I have this thread bookmarked for updates on canon words, and half the time I just get a notification from this thread when it's somebody that isn't up to date with the site's goals (that have been in place for about 5 or 6 months now) who wants to add new words to the dovah dictionary. The other half of the time, it's a more well-versed member of the site informing said person that they misunderstood the purpose of this thread.
by Dezonikso
June 25, 2016
It surprises me how many people come to this very thread, ignoring both the original comments that are seen when you first open the thread as well as the most recent comments stating that this thread is to expand the Canon translations and not make new words, and then suggest new words they created for non-Canon things... But at the same time, I'm not surprised.

I have this thread bookmarked for updates on canon words, and half the time I just get a notification from this thread when it's somebody that isn't up to date with the site's goals (that have been in place for about 5 or 6 months now) who wants to add new words to the dovah dictionary. The other half of the time, it's a more well-versed member of the site informing said person that they misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

OakleafRanger09
June 29, 2016

Wouldn't "Good morning" be "Pruzah Vu"? Though Vu, Dawn, end of darkness or night, is more closely associated with the end of the night than the coming day, wouldn't we take the literal "Good end of darkness/night" as "Good morning"?

by OakleafRanger09
June 29, 2016

Wouldn't "Good morning" be "Pruzah Vu"? Though Vu, Dawn, end of darkness or night, is more closely associated with the end of the night than the coming day, wouldn't we take the literal "Good end of darkness/night" as "Good morning"?

Memovie360
June 29, 2016

I have never used these forums, nor do I know if anyone will see this, but I always said 'because' as 'kosdrun' instead of 'fah'. Mostly because before I could find the search tool and was new to the site, I needed that word and combined be and cause's translations. It's also fun to say :3.

by Memovie360
June 29, 2016

I have never used these forums, nor do I know if anyone will see this, but I always said 'because' as 'kosdrun' instead of 'fah'. Mostly because before I could find the search tool and was new to the site, I needed that word and combined be and cause's translations. It's also fun to say :3.

Frinmulaar
June 30, 2016
@OakleafRanger09

"Pruzah vu" is an adequate translation for "good morning" and the best guess we have.

@Memovie360

As fun as that is, I must warn you that "because" is a notably English construction. For example, treating it literally in German would yield "sindverursachen", which is unambiguously incorrect. Just as one would use the correct "weil" instead, the dragon language provides "fah".
by Frinmulaar
June 30, 2016
@OakleafRanger09

"Pruzah vu" is an adequate translation for "good morning" and the best guess we have.

@Memovie360

As fun as that is, I must warn you that "because" is a notably English construction. For example, treating it literally in German would yield "sindverursachen", which is unambiguously incorrect. Just as one would use the correct "weil" instead, the dragon language provides "fah".

biscuit
July 3, 2016

This may have already beed adressed, but I noticed that there're no translations of "dovahzul" in the main translator, but there is in the legacy translator, which also directly refers to the dragon language as "dovahzul". Any particular reaason for that?

by biscuit
July 3, 2016

This may have already beed adressed, but I noticed that there're no translations of "dovahzul" in the main translator, but there is in the legacy translator, which also directly refers to the dragon language as "dovahzul". Any particular reaason for that?

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 3, 2016
biscuit

Good question! Dovahzul is a term that was coined by fans, so it doesn't have an entry in the official dictionary. The language actually doesn't have any kind of official name for itself, which is why you won't find one in the main translator.

by paarthurnax
July 3, 2016
biscuit

Good question! Dovahzul is a term that was coined by fans, so it doesn't have an entry in the official dictionary. The language actually doesn't have any kind of official name for itself, which is why you won't find one in the main translator.

biscuit
July 3, 2016
paarthurnax

Really? I thought I remember the dragons or the Greybeards referring to it as "dovahzul" at one point or another.

by biscuit
July 3, 2016
paarthurnax

Really? I thought I remember the dragons or the Greybeards referring to it as "dovahzul" at one point or another.

rascalhf
July 7, 2016
Feim means Fade according to Paarthurnax. I don't know why it's not here yet
by rascalhf
July 7, 2016
Feim means Fade according to Paarthurnax. I don't know why it's not here yet

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 7, 2016
rascalhf

This was a mistake on my part, thanks for pointing it out. "Fade" now points correctly to feim.

by paarthurnax
July 7, 2016
rascalhf

This was a mistake on my part, thanks for pointing it out. "Fade" now points correctly to feim.

NightshadeKoo
August 5, 2016
I think it's the wrong forum, but where can I find (and possibly download*) the updated list of canon words? My computer can't get online and I need to study Dovahzul.

Edit: *if possible to download
-and also, do grammars in the legacy guide and this website can be used on canon words?
by NightshadeKoo
August 5, 2016
I think it's the wrong forum, but where can I find (and possibly download*) the updated list of canon words? My computer can't get online and I need to study Dovahzul.

Edit: *if possible to download

-and also, do grammars in the legacy guide and this website can be used on canon words?

Liis
Administrator
August 5, 2016
@NightshadeKoo,

The Memrise Course is a great way to memorise canon vocabulary through virtual "flash cards" and can be downloaded for offline use. As far as the updated list of canon words with new details in the site dictionary goes, I'm afraid I don't know of an offline use.
I'm not sure how to answer your second question as far as what's considered legacy grammar. Such usage of the word "Ni," "not" as a suffix (-ni) to denote a negative verb is legacy - as such, canon grammar would separate the verb and the word "Ni". Example: "Zu'u bo ni," "I fly not / I don't fly".

Questions such as these should be posted to the Question Board as you will receive better feedback. This Thread is for suggesting English translations for the existing canon vocabulary.
by Liis
August 5, 2016
@NightshadeKoo,

The Memrise Course is a great way to memorise canon vocabulary through virtual "flash cards" and can be downloaded for offline use. As far as the updated list of canon words with new details in the site dictionary goes, I'm afraid I don't know of an offline use.

I'm not sure how to answer your second question as far as what's considered legacy grammar. Such usage of the word "Ni," "not" as a suffix (-ni) to denote a negative verb is legacy - as such, canon grammar would separate the verb and the word "Ni". Example: "Zu'u bo ni," "I fly not / I don't fly".

Questions such as these should be posted to the Question Board as you will receive better feedback. This Thread is for suggesting English translations for the existing canon vocabulary.

NightshadeKoo
August 6, 2016
@X Thanks for the info!
by NightshadeKoo
August 6, 2016
@X Thanks for the info!

jimmycrickett99
August 9, 2016

I Would like there to be a word for "Pony" I was thinken we could combind the words for "Small-Horse" Something like Maley or Makey

by jimmycrickett99
August 9, 2016

I Would like there to be a word for "Pony" I was thinken we could combind the words for "Small-Horse" Something like Maley or Makey

Vulkro
August 22, 2016

Should Laan also be translated to what as well as question

by Vulkro
August 22, 2016

Should Laan also be translated to what as well as question

<<  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  17  18  19  20 > >>