A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  100  101  102  103 > >>  

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 12, 2015

@Laagdrun, moved under laag.

@Lahbriin, moved under lah.

@DremSahrot, as Foduiiz mentioned, words can function as many parts of speech depending on the context. The system is limited in that right now, words can only be listed as a single part of speech. I hope to address this sometime soon.

by paarthurnax
January 12, 2015

@Laagdrun, moved under laag.

@Lahbriin, moved under lah.

@DremSahrot, as Foduiiz mentioned, words can function as many parts of speech depending on the context. The system is limited in that right now, words can only be listed as a single part of speech. I hope to address this sometime soon.

hiith
January 12, 2015
DremSahrot

Yirtdeykel

Is a comic in English also something that jests? Or would removing comic as translation be better?

Comic strips are generally intended to be funny, which is why we now call all comics, well, comics, even though not all of them are humorous, such as graphic novels and such.

So this word coud adequately mean comics that are, in fact, comic, but it may have some issues with describing most graphic novels and comic books. Perhaps some word could be added, derived from the concept of the phrase "graphic novel", like "teyseilir": "story of picture(s)"?

by hiith
January 12, 2015
DremSahrot

Yirtdeykel

Is a comic in English also something that jests? Or would removing comic as translation be better?

Comic strips are generally intended to be funny, which is why we now call all comics, well, comics, even though not all of them are humorous, such as graphic novels and such.

So this word coud adequately mean comics that are, in fact, comic, but it may have some issues with describing most graphic novels and comic books. Perhaps some word could be added, derived from the concept of the phrase "graphic novel", like "teyseilir": "story of picture(s)"?

hiith
January 12, 2015

Marnu

I think that a truer derivation, "meyarnu", would work better than this, because this can be confused with "maar", and therefore actually mean "without terror".

by hiith
January 12, 2015

Marnu

I think that a truer derivation, "meyarnu", would work better than this, because this can be confused with "maar", and therefore actually mean "without terror".

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 12, 2015
hiith

Marnu

Good point, edited to meyarnu.

by paarthurnax
January 12, 2015
hiith

Marnu

Good point, edited to meyarnu.

hiith
January 12, 2015

I think maybe we should attribute this post to some ideas that didn't make it through and, shall we say, stale posts that didn't get very far.

paarthurnax

Kronimaar

This word is problematic as it could be confused as a compound of "Kron" and "Imaar". I suggest changing it to the full "Krosonimaar" or "Krosonmaar" to avoid this confusion.

I say "krosonimaar" or something entirely different. "Krosonmaar" seems more like "work's self" or "workship".

Foduiiz

Peil

Synonym: Stir

Agreed.

Me

Orbiis

synonyms: make amends, make recompense, compensate perhaps this could also be a noun meaning the nouns amends, recompense, compensation

paarthurnax

In the case of orbiis, it's a word with a prefix, "re-pay," so that limits its meaning. I think a new, broader word might work better for "compsenate/recompense/compensation."

I think that something related to "jakahfozir", "fulfill-debt", could suffice for both the nouns and verbs, as "orbiis" can mean "to pay again"

Me

Duziir

synonym: rude

Still think so.

Foduiiz

Nelom

Synonyms: Speed, rate, pace, tempo, momentum.

This one actually was adressed, but this makes sense to me. "razaan" seems a bit redundant. Especially with how analogous with English the Tongue seems to be, so speed could refer both to physical movement and auditory quickness.

paarthurnax

hiith

Paaz

could have a note stating that this is used to mean "fair" as in "just" and as in "pulchritudinous". So that people know.

Note added. And what hellish thesaurus did you dig that word out of.

I believe it was Dictionary.com's app. It's been a while, though, so I'm not that sure.  Also, I like to use the word "pulchritudinous" to distinguish between physical appearance and "internal beauty". I try to philosopize sometimes.

Me

paarthurnax

I feel "beliefless" is truer to the meaning of "atheist" since the word "godless" implies being sinful or evil. What are your thoughts?

I think that "rahnu" should mean both. It could state that a person is without a god, or that one is evil & has left (a) god(s).

To say that someone is beliefless is like saying that they are easily swayed or never swayed at all (not thinking for theirself).

paarthurnax

Sure. ...

In regards to "koraaknu" vs. "rahnu"; it looks like you agreed with me, but never actually changed the definitions? Wait;

paarthurnax

I think any such word would be closer related to disobedience (to dragonkind) than "lack of belief" or "godlessness."

I don't quite agree. Even if some-one rejected their beleifs, they might could still be loyal to dragonkind, I guess. I still think "rahnu" is closer to "atheist".

paarthurnax 

hiith

Undaar

could also be "finally"? If so, then "at last" could be another synonym

Yes, under the possibility that all adjectives are also adverbs. Thoughts on that?

Now that I look into it, this does seem to be the case (save for zohungaar?), however the rarity of adverbs may also play a role.

paarthurnax

I strongly believe tuum a typo of tum, "down." If we do add tuum back, I'd prefer to list it as an alternate spelling of tum rather than a hypothetical word for "within" .

I agreed, but it wasn't added back. I'm also seeing that these alleged typos are far more common than I once thought; perhaps we can have some-thing in a lesson (or some-thing) that says that the spellings are somewhat loose in regards to same-letter diphtongs (where most-if-not-all of the errors are)?

paarthurnax

@Neben, the existing semi-canon word atum means "below." We could merge these all into atum, or leave these as synonyms.

I could have sword that I replied to this, but I'd like to merge it to atum.

GallantBlade475

Biivild

Could change definition from "Lazurite, the blue stone lapis lazuli" to "Lazurite, Lapis Lazuli" for easier searching. I think most people wouldn't know it was called anything but lapis lazuli.

Agreed!

Mirkrilaar 

Rolur

Synonym: Accede

Karaas

Synonym: Accouter

Never heard of them, but I guess? Wait, you're a mod, now. Do it yourself.

Ahmuldein 

-dein / -ein

Uh?....didn't we delete this word last week?

This was actually discussed (at least) twice: the first time deciding to keep it and the second time said it was done for, but it's still here. I, personally, know that Ahmuldein feels strongly about it, but I still like it.

I stopped after page 34. I may continue at a later date. But I will keep re-posting until it is all sought through!

by hiith
January 12, 2015

I think maybe we should attribute this post to some ideas that didn't make it through and, shall we say, stale posts that didn't get very far.

paarthurnax

Kronimaar

This word is problematic as it could be confused as a compound of "Kron" and "Imaar". I suggest changing it to the full "Krosonimaar" or "Krosonmaar" to avoid this confusion.

I say "krosonimaar" or something entirely different. "Krosonmaar" seems more like "work's self" or "workship".

Foduiiz

Peil

Synonym: Stir

Agreed.

Me

Orbiis

synonyms: make amends, make recompense, compensate perhaps this could also be a noun meaning the nouns amends, recompense, compensation

paarthurnax

In the case of orbiis, it's a word with a prefix, "re-pay," so that limits its meaning. I think a new, broader word might work better for "compsenate/recompense/compensation."

I think that something related to "jakahfozir", "fulfill-debt", could suffice for both the nouns and verbs, as "orbiis" can mean "to pay again"

Me

Duziir

synonym: rude

Still think so.

Foduiiz

Nelom

Synonyms: Speed, rate, pace, tempo, momentum.

This one actually was adressed, but this makes sense to me. "razaan" seems a bit redundant. Especially with how analogous with English the Tongue seems to be, so speed could refer both to physical movement and auditory quickness.

paarthurnax

hiith

Paaz

could have a note stating that this is used to mean "fair" as in "just" and as in "pulchritudinous". So that people know.

Note added. And what hellish thesaurus did you dig that word out of.

I believe it was Dictionary.com's app. It's been a while, though, so I'm not that sure.  Also, I like to use the word "pulchritudinous" to distinguish between physical appearance and "internal beauty". I try to philosopize sometimes.

Me

paarthurnax

I feel "beliefless" is truer to the meaning of "atheist" since the word "godless" implies being sinful or evil. What are your thoughts?

I think that "rahnu" should mean both. It could state that a person is without a god, or that one is evil & has left (a) god(s).

To say that someone is beliefless is like saying that they are easily swayed or never swayed at all (not thinking for theirself).

paarthurnax

Sure. ...

In regards to "koraaknu" vs. "rahnu"; it looks like you agreed with me, but never actually changed the definitions? Wait;

paarthurnax

I think any such word would be closer related to disobedience (to dragonkind) than "lack of belief" or "godlessness."

I don't quite agree. Even if some-one rejected their beleifs, they might could still be loyal to dragonkind, I guess. I still think "rahnu" is closer to "atheist".

paarthurnax 

hiith

Undaar

could also be "finally"? If so, then "at last" could be another synonym

Yes, under the possibility that all adjectives are also adverbs. Thoughts on that?

Now that I look into it, this does seem to be the case (save for zohungaar?), however the rarity of adverbs may also play a role.

paarthurnax

I strongly believe tuum a typo of tum, "down." If we do add tuum back, I'd prefer to list it as an alternate spelling of tum rather than a hypothetical word for "within" .

I agreed, but it wasn't added back. I'm also seeing that these alleged typos are far more common than I once thought; perhaps we can have some-thing in a lesson (or some-thing) that says that the spellings are somewhat loose in regards to same-letter diphtongs (where most-if-not-all of the errors are)?

paarthurnax

@Neben, the existing semi-canon word atum means "below." We could merge these all into atum, or leave these as synonyms.

I could have sword that I replied to this, but I'd like to merge it to atum.

GallantBlade475

Biivild

Could change definition from "Lazurite, the blue stone lapis lazuli" to "Lazurite, Lapis Lazuli" for easier searching. I think most people wouldn't know it was called anything but lapis lazuli.

Agreed!

Mirkrilaar 

Rolur

Synonym: Accede

Karaas

Synonym: Accouter

Never heard of them, but I guess? Wait, you're a mod, now. Do it yourself.

Ahmuldein 

-dein / -ein

Uh?....didn't we delete this word last week?

This was actually discussed (at least) twice: the first time deciding to keep it and the second time said it was done for, but it's still here. I, personally, know that Ahmuldein feels strongly about it, but I still like it.

I stopped after page 34. I may continue at a later date. But I will keep re-posting until it is all sought through!

hiith
January 14, 2015

Folaas

Synonym: incorrect.

by hiith
January 14, 2015

Folaas

Synonym: incorrect.

DremSahrot
January 15, 2015

Dinokus

I suggest this word to be removed since it is superfluous due to the existenc of the canon word Dilos.

by DremSahrot
January 15, 2015

Dinokus

I suggest this word to be removed since it is superfluous due to the existenc of the canon word Dilos.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 17, 2015

Zilf

"-ilf" isn't a spelling found in the dragon language. I'd recommend changing this to "Silon," related to "Sadon" "grey" and "Sahqon" "crimson."

by paarthurnax
January 17, 2015

Zilf

"-ilf" isn't a spelling found in the dragon language. I'd recommend changing this to "Silon," related to "Sadon" "grey" and "Sahqon" "crimson."

hiith
January 17, 2015
paarthurnax

Zilf

I agree. Also, did you see this post: (link)

by hiith
January 17, 2015
paarthurnax

Zilf

I agree. Also, did you see this post: (link)

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 17, 2015

Yes! Thanks for putting all that together. I'll go through it soon.

by paarthurnax
January 17, 2015

Yes! Thanks for putting all that together. I'll go through it soon.

thegrayace
January 19, 2015

Gjok

Why did we get rid of this? I find it funny that we kept Draf, Drafus, and Draftaas. I think we should keep it, like a lost puppy.

by thegrayace
January 19, 2015

Gjok

Why did we get rid of this? I find it funny that we kept Draf, Drafus, and Draftaas. I think we should keep it, like a lost puppy.

hiith
January 19, 2015

Ulaan

synonyms: finished, done

by hiith
January 19, 2015

Ulaan

synonyms: finished, done

thegrayace
January 21, 2015
DremSahrot

Dinokus

Deadly is actually an adjective that modifies the nouns "force" and "weapon" telling us that the force and the weapon are powerful enough to kill. 

Deathly is an adverb modifying the adjectives "afraid" and "ill" telling us the degree of fear and illness (how afraid and how ill). 

To test this, replace the words with similar adjectives and adverbs. Let's try "dangerous" for "deadly" and "very" for "deathly". 

"dangerous force" "dangerous weapon" both okay. 
"dangerous afraid" "dangerous ill" NOT okay. 
"very force" "very weapon" NOT okay. 
"very afraid" "very ill" both okay.

I got this from yahoo answers, thanks to Teacher.

by thegrayace
January 21, 2015
DremSahrot

Dinokus

Deadly is actually an adjective that modifies the nouns "force" and "weapon" telling us that the force and the weapon are powerful enough to kill. 

Deathly is an adverb modifying the adjectives "afraid" and "ill" telling us the degree of fear and illness (how afraid and how ill). 

To test this, replace the words with similar adjectives and adverbs. Let's try "dangerous" for "deadly" and "very" for "deathly". 

"dangerous force" "dangerous weapon" both okay. 
"dangerous afraid" "dangerous ill" NOT okay. 
"very force" "very weapon" NOT okay. 
"very afraid" "very ill" both okay.

I got this from yahoo answers, thanks to Teacher.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 21, 2015

Nice explanation, thegrayace.

@Gjok, the original intention of the word was that it would be an interjection only, something that didn't have any tangible meaning but would be used to express anger or frustration such that the closest English translation would be "fuck!" or "damn it!"

Two things happened - one, is that people used it incorrectly as a noun or a verb just like the flexible English word "fuck." Two, some study of in-game dialogue revealed there were canon words that are used as interjections in the same spirit gjok was meant to be. Examples are ruth "rage" and faaz "pain." For these reasons, gjok was deleted and will likely remain so.

by paarthurnax
January 21, 2015

Nice explanation, thegrayace.

@Gjok, the original intention of the word was that it would be an interjection only, something that didn't have any tangible meaning but would be used to express anger or frustration such that the closest English translation would be "fuck!" or "damn it!"

Two things happened - one, is that people used it incorrectly as a noun or a verb just like the flexible English word "fuck." Two, some study of in-game dialogue revealed there were canon words that are used as interjections in the same spirit gjok was meant to be. Examples are ruth "rage" and faaz "pain." For these reasons, gjok was deleted and will likely remain so.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 21, 2015

@Ulaan, this word means "complete" as in "all of something." It's not the verb "to complete or finish." For that there's geblaan, but now I'm thinking that could probably just get merged into oblaan.

by paarthurnax
January 21, 2015

@Ulaan, this word means "complete" as in "all of something." It's not the verb "to complete or finish." For that there's geblaan, but now I'm thinking that could probably just get merged into oblaan.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.