Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  100  101  102  103 > >>  

BoDuSil
January 22, 2015

Aaverin-mindaas This word simply means "Chemistry" but literally means "Chemical Science" if we can find a way to shorten this to a slightly altered version of "Aaverin" which is chemical, it would make much more sense to me, since it looks a little to long.

by BoDuSil
January 22, 2015

Aaverin-mindaas This word simply means "Chemistry" but literally means "Chemical Science" if we can find a way to shorten this to a slightly altered version of "Aaverin" which is chemical, it would make much more sense to me, since it looks a little to long.

DremSahrot
January 22, 2015
thegrayace
DremSahrot

Dinokus

I suggest this word to be removed since it is superfluous due to the existenc of the canon word Dilos.

Deadly is actually an adjective that modifies the nouns "force" and "weapon" telling us that the force and the weapon are powerful enough to kill. 

Deathly is an adverb modifying the adjectives "afraid" and "ill" telling us the degree of fear and illness (how afraid and how ill). 

To test this, replace the words with similar adjectives and adverbs. Let's try "dangerous" for "deadly" and "very" for "deathly". 

"dangerous force" "dangerous weapon" both okay. 
"dangerous afraid" "dangerous ill" NOT okay. 
"very force" "very weapon" NOT okay. 
"very afraid" "very ill" both okay.

I got this from yahoo answers, thanks to Teacher.

My apologies, I misread the word as deadly.

by DremSahrot
January 22, 2015
thegrayace
DremSahrot

Dinokus

I suggest this word to be removed since it is superfluous due to the existenc of the canon word Dilos.

Deadly is actually an adjective that modifies the nouns "force" and "weapon" telling us that the force and the weapon are powerful enough to kill. 

Deathly is an adverb modifying the adjectives "afraid" and "ill" telling us the degree of fear and illness (how afraid and how ill). 

To test this, replace the words with similar adjectives and adverbs. Let's try "dangerous" for "deadly" and "very" for "deathly". 

"dangerous force" "dangerous weapon" both okay. 
"dangerous afraid" "dangerous ill" NOT okay. 
"very force" "very weapon" NOT okay. 
"very afraid" "very ill" both okay.

I got this from yahoo answers, thanks to Teacher.

My apologies, I misread the word as deadly.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015
BoDuSil

Some words, especially modern words, are inevitably going to be long. You would only save one syllable by making any possible variation of "Aaverin."

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015
BoDuSil

Some words, especially modern words, are inevitably going to be long. You would only save one syllable by making any possible variation of "Aaverin."

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Grohiin

While I do actually like this word, I think it would be better to give the wolverine a name in the dragon tongue that suits the animal itself (uv zeim dovah miin) rather than to base the Dovahzul word off of the English word. If wolverines actually looked like wolves, it would be fine, but they resemble small bears more than they do wolves.

Wolverines are known for being both fierce and strong despite their size, so we could maybe base the name off of that idea. Or something to do with their resemblance to bears. Here are some of my ideas (just throwing some out there so we'll have options, I don't like all of these): â€‹

• Malkodaav (lit. little bear, alt. mal-kodaav)
  • Aazniraan (lit. merciless animal, alt. aaznidu)
  • Malnorok (lit. little fierce, alt. norokmal)
  • Mulnahmal (lit. strong fury little, alt. malnahmul)
  • Malmulah (lit. little strong hunter, alt. mulmalah)
  • Hevnoraan (lit. brutal animal, alt. hevnomal)

​ It wouldn't have to be any of these, it's just something to start with.

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Grohiin

While I do actually like this word, I think it would be better to give the wolverine a name in the dragon tongue that suits the animal itself (uv zeim dovah miin) rather than to base the Dovahzul word off of the English word. If wolverines actually looked like wolves, it would be fine, but they resemble small bears more than they do wolves.

Wolverines are known for being both fierce and strong despite their size, so we could maybe base the name off of that idea. Or something to do with their resemblance to bears. Here are some of my ideas (just throwing some out there so we'll have options, I don't like all of these): â€‹

• Malkodaav (lit. little bear, alt. mal-kodaav)
  • Aazniraan (lit. merciless animal, alt. aaznidu)
  • Malnorok (lit. little fierce, alt. norokmal)
  • Mulnahmal (lit. strong fury little, alt. malnahmul)
  • Malmulah (lit. little strong hunter, alt. mulmalah)
  • Hevnoraan (lit. brutal animal, alt. hevnomal)

​ It wouldn't have to be any of these, it's just something to start with.

BoDuSil
January 22, 2015

Ahkaan then (I know im looking through dictionary to look for wrong words) Ahkaan means "rip" but there are 2 words I spot immediately that are dragon- Ah (Hunter), and kaan (Kyne or kynareth) so the word literally means "Hunter kyne" which does not make sense for the words supposed meaning, which is "rip" If this doesn't make sense tell me

by BoDuSil
January 22, 2015

Ahkaan then (I know im looking through dictionary to look for wrong words) Ahkaan means "rip" but there are 2 words I spot immediately that are dragon- Ah (Hunter), and kaan (Kyne or kynareth) so the word literally means "Hunter kyne" which does not make sense for the words supposed meaning, which is "rip" If this doesn't make sense tell me

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015
BoDuSil

There are a lot of words that are going to be like this. For example ahraan "wound" doesn't mean "hunter animal." Dukaan "dishonor" probably doesn't mean "devour Kyne."

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015
BoDuSil

There are a lot of words that are going to be like this. For example ahraan "wound" doesn't mean "hunter animal." Dukaan "dishonor" probably doesn't mean "devour Kyne."

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ahkaan

Do we even really need this? It's a great-sounding word, but we already have vaaz.

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ahkaan

Do we even really need this? It's a great-sounding word, but we already have vaaz.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015

@Grohiin, much agreed. I reall like hevnoraan, so I've changed it to that.

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015

@Grohiin, much agreed. I reall like hevnoraan, so I've changed it to that.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015

@Ahkaan, rinik vahzah. I've deleted it.

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015

@Ahkaan, rinik vahzah. I've deleted it.

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ahreyn

I really don't like this. Submitting words when you don't yet have an understanding of the language is not recommended. -_- I'm trying to find a semi-canon replacement. I've been thinking maybe something to do with honor, respect, and/or understanding. Here's what I came up with, though I don't really like any of them:

• Sodzin (lit. deed honor, as in I honor your deeds, alt. zinsod)
  • Ofanzin (lit. give honor, alt. zinofan)
  • Balaanzin (lit. worthy honor, alt. zinbalaan)

I'm also thinking that we might not even need a separate word for this concept. Maybe the word balaan could be used to express appreciation and the awareness of something/someone's value (ex. I find him a worthy employee because of how hard he works). I think there's actually an in-game example that could support this idea. It's one of Paarthurnax's lines: "Hmm. Yes. They are very protective of me. Bahlaan fahdonne." Maybe this is his way of saying that he appreciates and values his friends for what they do? I don't know, I feel like I'm kind of grasping at straws here.

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ahreyn

I really don't like this. Submitting words when you don't yet have an understanding of the language is not recommended. -_- I'm trying to find a semi-canon replacement. I've been thinking maybe something to do with honor, respect, and/or understanding. Here's what I came up with, though I don't really like any of them:

• Sodzin (lit. deed honor, as in I honor your deeds, alt. zinsod)
  • Ofanzin (lit. give honor, alt. zinofan)
  • Balaanzin (lit. worthy honor, alt. zinbalaan)

I'm also thinking that we might not even need a separate word for this concept. Maybe the word balaan could be used to express appreciation and the awareness of something/someone's value (ex. I find him a worthy employee because of how hard he works). I think there's actually an in-game example that could support this idea. It's one of Paarthurnax's lines: "Hmm. Yes. They are very protective of me. Bahlaan fahdonne." Maybe this is his way of saying that he appreciates and values his friends for what they do? I don't know, I feel like I'm kind of grasping at straws here.

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015

@Ahreyn, maybe bal could be used as a verb that means "to value, appreciate, or consider worthy."

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015

@Ahreyn, maybe bal could be used as a verb that means "to value, appreciate, or consider worthy."

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ooh, I like that! I also like the idea of the word not necessarily being limited to one part of speech; in other words, bal could refer to both the value of something and the state of knowing value, and both appreciation and the act of appreciating. Plus any other part of speech that might apply (I'm a fan of abstract and flexible language). Can we do that? I know the current format of the dictionary doesn't allow it really, but maybe we could put it in the notes?

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Ooh, I like that! I also like the idea of the word not necessarily being limited to one part of speech; in other words, bal could refer to both the value of something and the state of knowing value, and both appreciation and the act of appreciating. Plus any other part of speech that might apply (I'm a fan of abstract and flexible language). Can we do that? I know the current format of the dictionary doesn't allow it really, but maybe we could put it in the notes?

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 22, 2015
Aaliizah

We can certainly do that! I'll add to the definition and the word notes. I hope to look into a solution for the multiple-parts-of-speech issue soon.

by paarthurnax
January 22, 2015
Aaliizah

We can certainly do that! I'll add to the definition and the word notes. I hope to look into a solution for the multiple-parts-of-speech issue soon.

BoDuSil
January 22, 2015
Sahlojoor, meaning weakling, is how the dov would say it.

Also, we shouldn't have a "weakling" word. Dovahzul is very straightforward, so a dovah would probably say "he weak" or "your weak" rather than "you are weakling" or "he is weakling"
by BoDuSil
January 22, 2015
Sahlojoor, meaning weakling, is how the dov would say it.

Also, we shouldn't have a "weakling" word. Dovahzul is very straightforward, so a dovah would probably say "he weak" or "your weak" rather than "you are weakling" or "he is weakling"

Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Sav

I know this is such a tiny detail, but I think this word would look better if another A were added to it for the sake of consistency with other similar canon words. There are no canon words with the Roman letters A and Z that end with

AZ

There are just words that end with

1Z

It's fine the way it is, really, but I thought I'd say something anyway.

by Aaliizah
January 22, 2015

Sav

I know this is such a tiny detail, but I think this word would look better if another A were added to it for the sake of consistency with other similar canon words. There are no canon words with the Roman letters A and Z that end with

AZ

There are just words that end with

1Z

It's fine the way it is, really, but I thought I'd say something anyway.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.