Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  64  65  66  67  68  100  101  102  103 > >>  

hiith
February 3, 2015
Aaliizah

Losei

I've always thought that losei is a strange combination of lo, se, and the suffix -i, resulting in a word that roughly means "my deceitful" or "my of-deceit". This makes sense with Alduin's next line (paraphrased: You don't look like a dragon to me) and his attitude toward the Dragonborn in general (basically that s/he's a poser). I know the dialogue file translates the sentence with the word "you're" in the place of losei, but I assumed that they did this to help the actors get a general feel for what they're saying, and they may have found this word a little too complex to translate smoothly and so skimmed over it for the actor's sake. There are other cases in the dialogue file where things aren't translated literally or word-for-word, so I don't think it would really be unheard of. On the other hand, losei being a contraction of los and hi makes complete sense, especially considering what it says in the file. I don't know, I just think this should be discussed.

At first, I thought it was "los" with a mystery suffix, "-ei", which I thought to mean "you", but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

by hiith
February 3, 2015
Aaliizah

Losei

I've always thought that losei is a strange combination of lo, se, and the suffix -i, resulting in a word that roughly means "my deceitful" or "my of-deceit". This makes sense with Alduin's next line (paraphrased: You don't look like a dragon to me) and his attitude toward the Dragonborn in general (basically that s/he's a poser). I know the dialogue file translates the sentence with the word "you're" in the place of losei, but I assumed that they did this to help the actors get a general feel for what they're saying, and they may have found this word a little too complex to translate smoothly and so skimmed over it for the actor's sake. There are other cases in the dialogue file where things aren't translated literally or word-for-word, so I don't think it would really be unheard of. On the other hand, losei being a contraction of los and hi makes complete sense, especially considering what it says in the file. I don't know, I just think this should be discussed.

At first, I thought it was "los" with a mystery suffix, "-ei", which I thought to mean "you", but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 3, 2015
Aaliizah

Losei

If I may, I don't agree with this interpretation. I believe it stems from UESP, which probably guessed at the translation without the dialogue file for reference.

Given the voice actor's tendency to pronounce hi like hei, I think it's more probable that the line was originally ful, los hi dovahkiin?, and that Bethesda altered the line while recording.

by paarthurnax
February 3, 2015
Aaliizah

Losei

If I may, I don't agree with this interpretation. I believe it stems from UESP, which probably guessed at the translation without the dialogue file for reference.

Given the voice actor's tendency to pronounce hi like hei, I think it's more probable that the line was originally ful, los hi dovahkiin?, and that Bethesda altered the line while recording.

hiith
February 3, 2015
paarthurnax

That makes a lot of sense, actually, exept for why they would change the line. But it still could be possible.

by hiith
February 3, 2015
paarthurnax

That makes a lot of sense, actually, exept for why they would change the line. But it still could be possible.

Aaliizah
February 4, 2015
paarthurnax

That does make sense. I can roll with that. But, like hiith, I'm not really sure why they would change the line. I think you're saying that they changed it so that Daniel Riordian's pronunciation would be correct, but you'd think that they would correct the voice actor rather than changing their line. I mean, he is working for them. Is that what you meant or did you mean something else?

by Aaliizah
February 4, 2015
paarthurnax

That does make sense. I can roll with that. But, like hiith, I'm not really sure why they would change the line. I think you're saying that they changed it so that Daniel Riordian's pronunciation would be correct, but you'd think that they would correct the voice actor rather than changing their line. I mean, he is working for them. Is that what you meant or did you mean something else?

hiith
February 4, 2015
Aaliizah

I think you're saying that they changed it so that Daniel Riordian's pronunciation would be correct, but you'd think that they would correct the voice actor rather than changing their line. I mean, he is working for them.

Contrariwise, you'd be surprised how difficult it is to record all the voices for a production such as this game. They can't really afford to do another take for every small mistake, especially if it's something that they can literally make up ("Screw it, we'll just change it to "losei" and get on with it.").

by hiith
February 4, 2015
Aaliizah

I think you're saying that they changed it so that Daniel Riordian's pronunciation would be correct, but you'd think that they would correct the voice actor rather than changing their line. I mean, he is working for them.

Contrariwise, you'd be surprised how difficult it is to record all the voices for a production such as this game. They can't really afford to do another take for every small mistake, especially if it's something that they can literally make up ("Screw it, we'll just change it to "losei" and get on with it.").

Mirkrilaar
February 4, 2015

Lingrahbrax

The term "Brax" refers to a bow of a ship, not an actual bow as in a "Bow and arrow".

by Mirkrilaar
February 4, 2015

Lingrahbrax

The term "Brax" refers to a bow of a ship, not an actual bow as in a "Bow and arrow".

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 4, 2015
Mirkrilaar

Lingrahbrax

Sorry about that! I've deleted lingrahbrax. Anyone is welcome to create a new word for "bow."

by paarthurnax
February 4, 2015
Mirkrilaar

Lingrahbrax

Sorry about that! I've deleted lingrahbrax. Anyone is welcome to create a new word for "bow."

hiith
February 5, 2015

Pook

Also "stank" (past tense) as it is used in the su word wall

by hiith
February 5, 2015

Pook

Also "stank" (past tense) as it is used in the su word wall

hiith
February 5, 2015

Kopraan

This might be specific to a dead body/carcass as evidenced in its use in the su word wall (again). Think ko+praan, in-rest. If this is the case, then derived words don't fit.

by hiith
February 5, 2015

Kopraan

This might be specific to a dead body/carcass as evidenced in its use in the su word wall (again). Think ko+praan, in-rest. If this is the case, then derived words don't fit.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 5, 2015
hiith

Kopraan

This makes sense. The other words could perhaps derive from slen "flesh," in the sense of "living body."

by paarthurnax
February 5, 2015
hiith

Kopraan

This makes sense. The other words could perhaps derive from slen "flesh," in the sense of "living body."

hiith
February 7, 2015
hiith

Bexaat

I don't think that basing this off of "bex" makes much sense. You could open lots of things that don't really fit this definition: doors, gates, minds, cadavers, and portals. I think that this definition should be based on the word for "contain" (whatever that is) and allow this word to mean anything that is open (including floodgates and cadavers). I, for one, didn't have a problem with "pok".

Bump. Also, bodilirbex shouldn't be based off of bex because you don't open a television (well, you generally shouldn't, anyways).

by hiith
February 7, 2015
hiith

Bexaat

I don't think that basing this off of "bex" makes much sense. You could open lots of things that don't really fit this definition: doors, gates, minds, cadavers, and portals. I think that this definition should be based on the word for "contain" (whatever that is) and allow this word to mean anything that is open (including floodgates and cadavers). I, for one, didn't have a problem with "pok".

Bump. Also, bodilirbex shouldn't be based off of bex because you don't open a television (well, you generally shouldn't, anyways).

Whyyyyyyyyy
February 9, 2015

Zel

Permatter

by Whyyyyyyyyy
February 9, 2015

Zel

Permatter

sapphiresmith9
February 16, 2015

Maasofaniik

i suggest using the words for male/female, punmake and punah, and the word for essence, rii. making penis = riimak and vagina = riinah. However, I like the concept of "seed giver/reveiver" But it is quite a long word to say...

by sapphiresmith9
February 16, 2015

Maasofaniik

i suggest using the words for male/female, punmake and punah, and the word for essence, rii. making penis = riimak and vagina = riinah. However, I like the concept of "seed giver/reveiver" But it is quite a long word to say...

Vulkulle
February 18, 2015

Qavolaan

Fushaalvut(force touch) possible synonym or revision?

by Vulkulle
February 18, 2015

Qavolaan

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 18, 2015
Darksons

Qavolaan

I think this word could be better, too. "Fushaalvut" might imply "to hit," "touching with force." I think volaan is key here. Maybe rel-volaan "dominate-intrude," or a variation on rel, like relvut.

by paarthurnax
February 18, 2015
Darksons

Qavolaan

I think this word could be better, too. "Fushaalvut" might imply "to hit," "touching with force." I think volaan is key here. Maybe rel-volaan "dominate-intrude," or a variation on rel, like relvut.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  64  65  66  67  68  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.