Translation Suggestion Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  17  18  19  20 > >>  

Frinmulaar
October 29, 2016
Viiksedovah

A word for "Turret", "Zunau".

Weapon on top. 

Quoting myself from earlier:

"Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers. "

by Frinmulaar
October 29, 2016
Viiksedovah

A word for "Turret", "Zunau".

Weapon on top. 

Quoting myself from earlier:

"Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers. "

ChartheBD
November 6, 2016
I haven't found desolate, barren, or remote. They could all fit under Nilgol. I found Nil in the translated which means empty/void, and Gol in my Skyrim guidebook (it explains canon dovahzul a bit) which means earth/land. So Nilgol would mean empty land.
by ChartheBD
November 6, 2016
I haven't found desolate, barren, or remote. They could all fit under Nilgol. I found Nil in the translated which means empty/void, and Gol in my Skyrim guidebook (it explains canon dovahzul a bit) which means earth/land. So Nilgol would mean empty land.

Frinmulaar
November 7, 2016
ChartheBD

Feel free to use nilgol in your writings, and quoting myself from earlier:

by Frinmulaar
November 7, 2016
ChartheBD

Feel free to use nilgol in your writings, and quoting myself from earlier:

SuleykaarKinbok
November 11, 2016

I find it hard to ask questions without the use of 'what' and 'why'

maybe 'what' could be wheh and 'why' could be wheri.

by SuleykaarKinbok
November 11, 2016

I find it hard to ask questions without the use of 'what' and 'why'

maybe 'what' could be wheh and 'why' could be wheri.

Liis
Administrator
November 11, 2016
@Lord Leviathan,

"Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers."
by Liis
November 11, 2016
@Lord Leviathan,

"Please only post in this thread if you have an existing dragon word in mind and want a new English equivalent added for it. Our goal is to find out what expressive possibilities canon covers."

DubstepLemon
November 11, 2016

Can we get some translations for Imperials and Stormcloaks? Or is it most likely that Dragons do not have common words for these considering they were around before the Empire and WAY before the Stormcloaks? At the very least can we get a translation for cloak/cape/hood or anything else to be used in saying Stormcloaks? I.e. "Strun(insert translation for cloak/cape/hood)".

by DubstepLemon
November 11, 2016

Can we get some translations for Imperials and Stormcloaks? Or is it most likely that Dragons do not have common words for these considering they were around before the Empire and WAY before the Stormcloaks? At the very least can we get a translation for cloak/cape/hood or anything else to be used in saying Stormcloaks? I.e. "Strun(insert translation for cloak/cape/hood)".

paarthurnax
Administrator
November 11, 2016
DubstepLemon

Du'ul "crown" would be the closest canon word to "cloak/mantle" in terms of apparel that symbolizes power. But we'd have to careful with this! The name Strundu'ul already exists as an epithet for the Dragonborn (not that Ulfric would mind being associated with Talos). Perhaps something like Muzsekodaav "men of the bear" or Aarsekodaav "servants of the bear" would work, with the bear representing the Stormcloaks.

The First Cyrodiilic Empire was after the dragons' heyday, but there were still some flying around to see several empires come and go. Junaar "kingdom" would be the closest canon term, or suleyksejun "dominon". Thus, Imperial soldiers might be muzsejun "men of the king" or aarsejun "servants of the king".

by paarthurnax
November 11, 2016
DubstepLemon

Du'ul "crown" would be the closest canon word to "cloak/mantle" in terms of apparel that symbolizes power. But we'd have to careful with this! The name Strundu'ul already exists as an epithet for the Dragonborn (not that Ulfric would mind being associated with Talos). Perhaps something like Muzsekodaav "men of the bear" or Aarsekodaav "servants of the bear" would work, with the bear representing the Stormcloaks.

The First Cyrodiilic Empire was after the dragons' heyday, but there were still some flying around to see several empires come and go. Junaar "kingdom" would be the closest canon term, or suleyksejun "dominon". Thus, Imperial soldiers might be muzsejun "men of the king" or aarsejun "servants of the king".

Dovahkirr100
November 15, 2016

Vulon - Night

Hefoc - Like

Si - I

by Dovahkirr100
November 15, 2016

Vulon - Night

Hefoc - Like

Si - I

Frinmulaar
November 15, 2016
Dragonschild100

Vulon - Night

Hefoc - Like

Si - I

Yes, vulon is defined as 'night'. Hefoc and si are not words in the dragon language and therefore cannot have translations. The dragon for 'like' (adverb) is med and 'I' is zu'u.

by Frinmulaar
November 15, 2016
Dragonschild100

Vulon - Night

Hefoc - Like

Si - I

Yes, vulon is defined as 'night'. Hefoc and si are not words in the dragon language and therefore cannot have translations. The dragon for 'like' (adverb) is med and 'I' is zu'u.

Yoldeyra
December 16, 2016
paarthurnax

If you have a translation to add to the English-Dragon dictionary, share below and we'll add it or discuss other alternatives. Suggestions can include:

• Irregular verbs that don't show up in the Translator (e.g. "gone" or "went")
  • Close synonyms with existing vocabulary (e.g. "soldier" for kendov "warrior")
  • Phrasal verbs (e.g. "give up" for gahvon)
  • English idioms that don't have dragon equivalents (e.g. "I'm going to ...", "What's up?" etc.)
  • Other phrases or words that would be best translated as something other than the word-by-word translation.

We may move to a translation submission system at some point, but we'll be managing this through this thread for now. Share your ideas below!

We need words for animal myths such as:

centaurs

devel dogs 

just some i thought of but i would love them in the dictionary.

by Yoldeyra
December 16, 2016
paarthurnax

If you have a translation to add to the English-Dragon dictionary, share below and we'll add it or discuss other alternatives. Suggestions can include:

• Irregular verbs that don't show up in the Translator (e.g. "gone" or "went")
  • Close synonyms with existing vocabulary (e.g. "soldier" for kendov "warrior")
  • Phrasal verbs (e.g. "give up" for gahvon)
  • English idioms that don't have dragon equivalents (e.g. "I'm going to ...", "What's up?" etc.)
  • Other phrases or words that would be best translated as something other than the word-by-word translation.

We may move to a translation submission system at some point, but we'll be managing this through this thread for now. Share your ideas below!

centaurs

devel dogs 

Frinmulaar
December 16, 2016
Yoldeyra

centaurs

devel dogs 

Adding new words is not quite the focus of this thread, but those two are easy enough to construct within canon:

munkey - 'man-horse' - centaur

durdok - 'curse-hound' - devil dog

by Frinmulaar
December 16, 2016
Yoldeyra

centaurs

devel dogs 

Adding new words is not quite the focus of this thread, but those two are easy enough to construct within canon:

munkey - 'man-horse' - centaur

durdok - 'curse-hound' - devil dog

Dezonikso
December 27, 2016
@Frinmulaar I love munkey. I definitely want to try and use that in my writings.
by Dezonikso
December 27, 2016
@Frinmulaar I love munkey. I definitely want to try and use that in my writings.

LordOlbodiis
January 6, 2017

i don't really have a word in mnd for this, but i can't find anything related to wood or wooden

by LordOlbodiis
January 6, 2017

i don't really have a word in mnd for this, but i can't find anything related to wood or wooden

paarthurnax
Administrator
January 6, 2017
LordOlbodiis

Feykro 'forest' and galik 'pine' would be the closest related words. A "wooden house" might be a hofkahsefeykro "house of the forest".

by paarthurnax
January 6, 2017
LordOlbodiis

Feykro 'forest' and galik 'pine' would be the closest related words. A "wooden house" might be a hofkahsefeykro "house of the forest".

LordOlbodiis
January 6, 2017

then what about love?

by LordOlbodiis
January 6, 2017

then what about love?

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  17  18  19  20 > >>