A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Azai
May 23, 2014

Snoldein

Shouldn't this be listed as non-canon? It is based on the non-canon word 'snol'.

by Azai
May 23, 2014

Snoldein

Shouldn't this be listed as non-canon? It is based on the non-canon word 'snol'.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 23, 2014
Azai

Snoldein

The part that makes it semi-canon is "Dein," the canon word for "keep/guard."

by paarthurnax
May 23, 2014
Azai

Snoldein

The part that makes it semi-canon is "Dein," the canon word for "keep/guard."

hiith
May 23, 2014

Siz

could be replaced with the canon "saan"

Also, unrelated note, the Item Shop seems to be giving me a lot of what I already have lately. Like, a lot.

by hiith
May 23, 2014

Siz

Also, unrelated note, the Item Shop seems to be giving me a lot of what I already have lately. Like, a lot.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 23, 2014
Hiith

Siz

There's a grammatical reason why "Siz" is being kept. Here's an excerpt from the dialogue file.

Alduin sizaan midroti.    Alduin has lost my loyalty.

Emphasis mine on the translation provided in the dialogue file. -aan here is being used exactly as the verb suffix -aan would be used, "has lost," so from it we can deduce that "Siz" means "to lose." It's about as close to being canon as semi-canon can get.

There's a similar situation with the canon word "Vonuz," "invisible." This is basically "un-visible," which makes "Nuz" mean "visible." There is already another canon word "Nuz" meaning "but," but we can't dismiss "Nuz" since it's also on the "it's pretty much canon" level of semi-canon.

by paarthurnax
May 23, 2014
Hiith

Siz

There's a grammatical reason why "Siz" is being kept. Here's an excerpt from the dialogue file.

Alduin sizaan midroti.    Alduin has lost my loyalty.

Emphasis mine on the translation provided in the dialogue file. -aan here is being used exactly as the verb suffix -aan would be used, "has lost," so from it we can deduce that "Siz" means "to lose." It's about as close to being canon as semi-canon can get.

There's a similar situation with the canon word "Vonuz," "invisible." This is basically "un-visible," which makes "Nuz" mean "visible." There is already another canon word "Nuz" meaning "but," but we can't dismiss "Nuz" since it's also on the "it's pretty much canon" level of semi-canon.

hiith
May 23, 2014
paarthurnax

Ah, I understand. I was thinking that maybe "sizaan" could have canonically been altered from "saanaan" because it seemed silly, but this makes sense.

by hiith
May 23, 2014
paarthurnax

Ah, I understand. I was thinking that maybe "sizaan" could have canonically been altered from "saanaan" because it seemed silly, but this makes sense.

hiith
May 25, 2014

Siz

Is this the antonym of "win", "find", or both? It should have a note specifying.

by hiith
May 25, 2014

Siz

Is this the antonym of "win", "find", or both? It should have a note specifying.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 25, 2014
Hiith

Siz

Here are the two usages of sizaan I can find:

"Alduin sizaan midroti."

Alduin has lost my loyalty.

Bekkhild wahlaan qethsegol
ahmulii vahrukt Eylof wen
Veysun los sizaan ko vul
kest ko Okaaz do Luv

Bekkhild raised this stone
in her husband's memory, Eylof whose
ship was lost in a dark
tempest in the Sea of Tears.

The first usage is the antonym of "to gain" while the second usage is the antonym of "to find." For simplicity's sake we could have siz mean the antonym of "to win" as well. There is also the canon synonym saan, whose only source I can find is the list on Prima Game's website.

by paarthurnax
May 25, 2014
Hiith

Siz

Here are the two usages of sizaan I can find:

"Alduin sizaan midroti."

Alduin has lost my loyalty.

Bekkhild wahlaan qethsegol
ahmulii vahrukt Eylof wen
Veysun los sizaan ko vul
kest ko Okaaz do Luv

Bekkhild raised this stone
in her husband's memory, Eylof whose
ship was lost in a dark
tempest in the Sea of Tears.

The first usage is the antonym of "to gain" while the second usage is the antonym of "to find." For simplicity's sake we could have siz mean the antonym of "to win" as well. There is also the canon synonym saan, whose only source I can find is the list on Prima Game's website.

hiith
May 25, 2014

Krosorun

synonym: workplace (maybe should be the primary definition)

by hiith
May 25, 2014

Krosorun

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 25, 2014
Hiith

Krosorun

Good idea, added.

by paarthurnax
May 25, 2014
Hiith

Krosorun

Good idea, added.

hiith
May 26, 2014

Vofun

couldn't this also be an adjective? If so, it should have a note

by hiith
May 26, 2014

Vofun

couldn't this also be an adjective? If so, it should have a note

hiith
May 26, 2014

Imzik

I feel like this should be deleted in favor of its synonyms, mostly the canon "wahl" but also "mur"

by hiith
May 26, 2014

Imzik

I feel like this should be deleted in favor of its synonyms, mostly the canon "wahl" but also "mur"

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 26, 2014

Made "Vofun" an adjective instead of a verb. Deleted "Imzik" and restructured the English-Dragon entry for "make" so "Wahl" appears first.

by paarthurnax
May 26, 2014

Made "Vofun" an adjective instead of a verb. Deleted "Imzik" and restructured the English-Dragon entry for "make" so "Wahl" appears first.

Foduiiz
May 26, 2014

Fau

Assuming this refers to social status andor trendiness there are loads of synonyms: Hip, Contemporary, Fashionable, Popular, Stylish, Swank/Swanky, New, Trendy. I think the current definitions are misleading as they all refer to temperature, especially that of food.

by Foduiiz
May 26, 2014

Fau

Assuming this refers to social status andor trendiness there are loads of synonyms: Hip, Contemporary, Fashionable, Popular, Stylish, Swank/Swanky, New, Trendy. I think the current definitions are misleading as they all refer to temperature, especially that of food.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 26, 2014
qobofus

Fau

"Fau" was meant to refer to temperature. Looking at it again, "fresh/crisp/cool" aren't all that close synonyms, so I deleted both "Fau" and "Faurom." Then we can make new words for "fresh" as in "new," the temperature "cool," and the quality of being "crisp."

"Fresh" or "cool" as meaning "hip/stylish/trendy" would more so be English slang, so I don't think they'd be accurate translations for Dovahzul words that mean "fresh" or "cool."

by paarthurnax
May 26, 2014
qobofus

Fau

"Fau" was meant to refer to temperature. Looking at it again, "fresh/crisp/cool" aren't all that close synonyms, so I deleted both "Fau" and "Faurom." Then we can make new words for "fresh" as in "new," the temperature "cool," and the quality of being "crisp."

"Fresh" or "cool" as meaning "hip/stylish/trendy" would more so be English slang, so I don't think they'd be accurate translations for Dovahzul words that mean "fresh" or "cool."

Ahmuldein
May 27, 2014

Zokeyrom

Make this word modern.this is definitely NOT, a word pertaining to skyrim or a word with a canon\semi canon root. Don't take my word for anything since I'm new but I do believe that the word that this word was made from was non canon making Zokeyrom modern.

by Ahmuldein
May 27, 2014

Zokeyrom

Make this word modern.this is definitely NOT, a word pertaining to skyrim or a word with a canon\semi canon root. Don't take my word for anything since I'm new but I do believe that the word that this word was made from was non canon making Zokeyrom modern.

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.