Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Word Revision Thread

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  100  101  102  103 > >>  

Ahmuldein
May 27, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Zokeyrom

Make this word modern.this is definitely NOT, a word pertaining to skyrim or a word with a canon\semi canon root. Don't take my word for anything here but I believe that the root word that was also noted in the meaning was non canon making this word a modern word.

by Ahmuldein
May 27, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Zokeyrom

Make this word modern.this is definitely NOT, a word pertaining to skyrim or a word with a canon\semi canon root. Don't take my word for anything here but I believe that the root word that was also noted in the meaning was non canon making this word a modern word.

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 27, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Zokeyrom

Make this word modern.this is definitely NOT, a word pertaining to skyrim or a word with a canon\semi canon root. Don't take my word for anything since I'm new but I do believe that the word that this word was made from was non canon making Zokeyrom modern.

"Modern" is for words such as "car" or "airplane." The word "Zokeyrom" wouldn't be used as casually as "awesome" is in modern English; "that's awesome." Instead it would be reserved for things that are "full of awe;" Alduin zokeyrom suleyk "Alduin's awesome power."

by paarthurnax
May 27, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Zokeyrom

Make this word modern.this is definitely NOT, a word pertaining to skyrim or a word with a canon\semi canon root. Don't take my word for anything since I'm new but I do believe that the word that this word was made from was non canon making Zokeyrom modern.

"Modern" is for words such as "car" or "airplane." The word "Zokeyrom" wouldn't be used as casually as "awesome" is in modern English; "that's awesome." Instead it would be reserved for things that are "full of awe;" Alduin zokeyrom suleyk "Alduin's awesome power."

Foduiiz
May 27, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Zokeyrom

Awesomeness has been around for a while. Paarthurnax, for instance, possesed some degree of awesomeness. The word hasn't been used much until the modern era but it's been a concept for a long time.

by Foduiiz
May 27, 2014
Ahmuldovah

Zokeyrom

Awesomeness has been around for a while. Paarthurnax, for instance, possesed some degree of awesomeness. The word hasn't been used much until the modern era but it's been a concept for a long time.

Ahmuldein
May 27, 2014

I stand corrected

by Ahmuldein
May 27, 2014

I stand corrected

Neilaasend
May 28, 2014

Kosil and Zuko both mean 'Inner', but Kosil is Canon and Zuko is Semi-Canon. Is there a specific rule for both of them or are they interchangeable?

by Neilaasend
May 28, 2014

Kosil and Zuko both mean 'Inner', but Kosil is Canon and Zuko is Semi-Canon. Is there a specific rule for both of them or are they interchangeable?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 28, 2014
Neilaasend

Thanks for noting, I deleted "Zuko."

by paarthurnax
May 28, 2014
Neilaasend

Foduiiz
May 28, 2014

I read that as 'Thanks for nothing-"

by Foduiiz
May 28, 2014

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 28, 2014
qobofus

The word "Zuko" gets the "Not As Canon As You Could Have Been" Award.

by paarthurnax
May 28, 2014
qobofus

The word "Zuko" gets the "Not As Canon As You Could Have Been" Award.

Neilaasend
May 28, 2014
paarthurnax
Neilaasend

Yay I helped! 

But the removal of Zuko breaks the opposite of inner; Zutir which is defined as outer. So it seems that Zutir would have to be changed because Zuko had the same prefix. I guess changing Zutir to Tirsil would make sense, but it sounds weird IMO. 

by Neilaasend
May 28, 2014
paarthurnax
Neilaasend

Yay I helped! 

But the removal of Zuko breaks the opposite of inner; Zutir which is defined as outer. So it seems that Zutir would have to be changed because Zuko had the same prefix. I guess changing Zutir to Tirsil would make sense, but it sounds weird IMO. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 28, 2014
Neilaasend

Yay I helped! 

So after some lengthy discussion, I've remembered the difference between "Kosil" and "Zuko." "Kosil" is actually a compound of "Ko" and "Sil," or "in the soul." So, "kosil vokul," "an inner evil," would actually mean "an evil in the soul."

This limits how "Kosil" can be used. For example, "the inner edge" couldn't use "Kosil;" "the edge in the soul." So, "Zuko" exists as a more general word for "inner" that would be used with inanimate objects and the like. Same goes with "Zutir."

I've added all this to the word notes now so the difference will be clearer from now on.

by paarthurnax
May 28, 2014
Neilaasend

Yay I helped! 

So after some lengthy discussion, I've remembered the difference between "Kosil" and "Zuko." "Kosil" is actually a compound of "Ko" and "Sil," or "in the soul." So, "kosil vokul," "an inner evil," would actually mean "an evil in the soul."

This limits how "Kosil" can be used. For example, "the inner edge" couldn't use "Kosil;" "the edge in the soul." So, "Zuko" exists as a more general word for "inner" that would be used with inanimate objects and the like. Same goes with "Zutir."

I've added all this to the word notes now so the difference will be clearer from now on.

hiith
May 29, 2014

Riivun

synonym: rely

by hiith
May 29, 2014

Riivun

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 29, 2014
hiith

Riivun

Added "rely." I also shortened it to "Rivun" to distance it some from "Riiv," "cloth."

by paarthurnax
May 29, 2014
hiith

Riivun

Added "rely." I also shortened it to "Rivun" to distance it some from "Riiv," "cloth."

hiith
May 29, 2014

Fautiid

What separates this from "nudraan" and "nutiid"?

I'm really just curious, I'm not opposed to having synonyms.

by hiith
May 29, 2014

Fautiid

Ahmuldein
May 29, 2014

Why don't we all just speak Spanish?

by Ahmuldein
May 29, 2014

Why don't we all just speak Spanish?

paarthurnax
Administrator
May 29, 2014
hiith

Fautiid

"Nudraan" is the more separate of the three. It simply means "modern," as in "of or pertaining to the present."

"Nu" and "Nutiid" are very close synonyms but "Nutiid" is more of a noun. For example, "Go now" would use "Nu" whereas "Until now / until the present" might use "Nutiid."

by paarthurnax
May 29, 2014
hiith

Fautiid

"Nudraan" is the more separate of the three. It simply means "modern," as in "of or pertaining to the present."

"Nu" and "Nutiid" are very close synonyms but "Nutiid" is more of a noun. For example, "Go now" would use "Nu" whereas "Until now / until the present" might use "Nutiid."

<<  <  1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  100  101  102  103 > >>  

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.