Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

How to Pronounce

Amokriin
August 17, 2015

Hi, I'm looking how to pronounce my name I went to the translator and type in my last name which is Griffin and it translating to Amokriin and just wondered how you actually pronounce that.

Thanks for any help, I thought about doing a Dragon like name. Example meaning of first name and translate that but with my last name all ready translate it's just easier.

by Amokriin
August 17, 2015

Hi, I'm looking how to pronounce my name I went to the translator and type in my last name which is Griffin and it translating to Amokriin and just wondered how you actually pronounce that.

Thanks for any help, I thought about doing a Dragon like name. Example meaning of first name and translate that but with my last name all ready translate it's just easier.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 17, 2015

Amokriin would be pronounced like "am-oak-reen". In the dragon language, words are pronounced exactly as they're spelled, so "o" will always be pronounced as "oh," "ii" will always be pronounced as "ee," etc.

You can find more in-depth info on pronunciation here.

by paarthurnax
August 17, 2015

Amokriin would be pronounced like "am-oak-reen". In the dragon language, words are pronounced exactly as they're spelled, so "o" will always be pronounced as "oh," "ii" will always be pronounced as "ee," etc.

You can find more in-depth info on pronunciation here.

Orkar Isber
August 18, 2015

If your first name is Peter you are screwed XD

Na seriously, one thing about pronounciation would be, that there is no real canon pronounciation. Different voice actors pronounce words differently, and different language versions of the game pronounce words very differently. So in theory you could pronounce as you like and claim its a dialect. Thats true for real life languages as well after all - australian english is just as much english as british english but it sounds entirely different

by Orkar Isber
August 18, 2015

If your first name is Peter you are screwed XD

Na seriously, one thing about pronounciation would be, that there is no real canon pronounciation. Different voice actors pronounce words differently, and different language versions of the game pronounce words very differently. So in theory you could pronounce as you like and claim its a dialect. Thats true for real life languages as well after all - australian english is just as much english as british english but it sounds entirely different

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 18, 2015

@Orkar

It's true that the pronunciations between the voice actors and the language versions of the game differ, but I don't think it's helpful to say "there is no real canon pronunciation" to someone asking a basic pronunciation question. There is a pronunciation standard common across all the dialogue, which is what is listed here on the site.

by paarthurnax
August 18, 2015

@Orkar

It's true that the pronunciations between the voice actors and the language versions of the game differ, but I don't think it's helpful to say "there is no real canon pronunciation" to someone asking a basic pronunciation question. There is a pronunciation standard common across all the dialogue, which is what is listed here on the site.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.