Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I Need help translating!

Denisowator
August 18, 2015

So apparently not every single word on earth exists in the Dovahzul language. :(

First I wanted to translate Akatosh, but apparently even the dragons just call him Akatosh. Then I just called him by his title (Dragon God of Time), and I wanted to translate this sentance "And so the Dragon God of Time has blessed the Dragonborn with his protection". But apparently protection isn't a word in Dovahzul either, but protect is. ;(

Can anyone help me alter this sentance so that it still sounds epic and is translatable so that I can write it in the dragon symbols?

by Denisowator
August 18, 2015

So apparently not every single word on earth exists in the Dovahzul language. :(

First I wanted to translate Akatosh, but apparently even the dragons just call him Akatosh. Then I just called him by his title (Dragon God of Time), and I wanted to translate this sentance "And so the Dragon God of Time has blessed the Dragonborn with his protection". But apparently protection isn't a word in Dovahzul either, but protect is. ;(

Can anyone help me alter this sentance so that it still sounds epic and is translatable so that I can write it in the dragon symbols?

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 18, 2015

Dragons typically refer to Akatosh as Bormahu, literally "Our Father." If we want to stick to canon, "protection" doesn't have a translation but we could perhaps substitute spaan "shield / to shield."

So we might say:

4RK OND DR9 BORM4U SP1N F1L DOV4K3N VOTH KOG1N3

Ahrk ond drey bormahu spaan faal Dovahkiin voth kogaanii.
"And lo did Akatosh shield the Dragonborn with his blessing."

by paarthurnax
August 18, 2015

Dragons typically refer to Akatosh as Bormahu, literally "Our Father." If we want to stick to canon, "protection" doesn't have a translation but we could perhaps substitute spaan "shield / to shield."

So we might say:

Denisowator
August 18, 2015
paarthurnax

So we might say:

When I put the sentance in the quotes into the translator and translate to Dovahzul, I get "Ahrk ond drey Bormah spaan faal Dovahkiin voth ok kogaan". As you can see instead of Bormahu it says Bormah, after the voth is a "ok", and instead of kogaanii it says kogaan.

And now I'm really confused about how this works and whether the translator is correct or not.

I also replaced "Akatosh" with "our father" just to be sure it understood it correctly.

P.S. It seems that the transcriber is translating the english sentance correctly, but the translator doesn't. (Transcriber shows exactly what you wrote, the translator made some changes, as stated above)

by Denisowator
August 18, 2015
paarthurnax

So we might say:

When I put the sentance in the quotes into the translator and translate to Dovahzul, I get "Ahrk ond drey Bormah spaan faal Dovahkiin voth ok kogaan". As you can see instead of Bormahu it says Bormah, after the voth is a "ok", and instead of kogaanii it says kogaan.

And now I'm really confused about how this works and whether the translator is correct or not.

I also replaced "Akatosh" with "our father" just to be sure it understood it correctly.

P.S. It seems that the transcriber is translating the english sentance correctly, but the translator doesn't. (Transcriber shows exactly what you wrote, the translator made some changes, as stated above)

Orkar Isber
August 18, 2015

You can trust Paarthurnax, he is the teacher of the greybeards ^^ Seriously the translator does NOT take grammar into consideration. Dovahzul uses grammatical endlings - just like many real life languages - to show who does what. But that cant be translated so you get the basic infinitive form if you will - Paarthurnax added the correct grammar.

As example if you want to say "i gave him her sword" in english  the translator would translate "i gave he she sword" as he doesnt take grammar into the mix

by Orkar Isber
August 18, 2015

You can trust Paarthurnax, he is the teacher of the greybeards ^^ Seriously the translator does NOT take grammar into consideration. Dovahzul uses grammatical endlings - just like many real life languages - to show who does what. But that cant be translated so you get the basic infinitive form if you will - Paarthurnax added the correct grammar.

As example if you want to say "i gave him her sword" in english  the translator would translate "i gave he she sword" as he doesnt take grammar into the mix

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 18, 2015

Bormahu meaning "our Father" is context-sensitive. For example, a Nord couldn't say "Bormahu," because Akatosh isn't their father, so the translator just gives "Bormah".

There are two ways to indicate possession. "His blessing" could be translated as ok kogaan or kogaanii. Either is correct. The translator defaults to ok kogaan.

The translator does its best but isn't correct all the time. Contrary to what might seem easiest, I would avoid using the translator until you've learned more about the language. Take a look through the lessons first, and only use the translator for when you need to get a quick idea for how to say something. Once you know the language more, you'll be able to pick out the translator's mistakes. Otherwise it'll be easy to get confused or learn the language wrong.

by paarthurnax
August 18, 2015

Bormahu meaning "our Father" is context-sensitive. For example, a Nord couldn't say "Bormahu," because Akatosh isn't their father, so the translator just gives "Bormah".

There are two ways to indicate possession. "His blessing" could be translated as ok kogaan or kogaanii. Either is correct. The translator defaults to ok kogaan.

The translator does its best but isn't correct all the time. Contrary to what might seem easiest, I would avoid using the translator until you've learned more about the language. Take a look through the lessons first, and only use the translator for when you need to get a quick idea for how to say something. Once you know the language more, you'll be able to pick out the translator's mistakes. Otherwise it'll be easy to get confused or learn the language wrong.

Denisowator
August 18, 2015
Orkar Isber

Thank you for clarifying that. :)

Also thank you Paarthurnax for expanding on the Dovahzul. You are great, also I chose not to kill you in Skyrim. ;)

by Denisowator
August 18, 2015
Orkar Isber

Thank you for clarifying that. :)

Also thank you Paarthurnax for expanding on the Dovahzul. You are great, also I chose not to kill you in Skyrim. ;)

Denisowator
August 18, 2015
paarthurnax

This feels a little bit like trying to learn C# for the first time. xD

Also thank you. :)

by Denisowator
August 18, 2015
paarthurnax

This feels a little bit like trying to learn C# for the first time. xD

Also thank you. :)

Orkar Isber
August 19, 2015

I do agree. when learning a language you face many difficulties. In terms of Dovahzul you have the same problems as when learning a dead language - normally it wouldnt be a huge issue if you learn something the wrong way because exposing yourself to the language will quickly correct the mistake just like children may pronounce some words weird or write them totally wrong but over time the mistake corrects itself as they hear how others do it.

With dovahzul and dead languages you wont have that essential tool of correction so its all the more important that you learn it correctly from the start as later correction would need a hell lot of effort to do.

Basicly Dovahzul aint that hard to learn as a language, its rather simple, but it can be very challenging as, so far, we have only so little material.

I also learn icelandic as example and its far easier for me though the language is far more complex than dovahzul - because in icelandic i have movies, radio podcasts, a hell lot of books to read - its so much easier to expose yourself to the language and that helps you understand it so much better.

As example - the word qalos "touch" and the word haalvut "touch" confused me a lot as both mean touch until i realised qalos is a touch and haalvut is to touch. This mistake went unnoticed for weeks until i realised it. In icelandic i had a similiar problem but there it was fixed in just 2 days as i watched a disney movie in icelandic and heard the different uses of a word that seemingly meant the same in the vocabulary book but through hearing its use i was able to grasp its actual use and meaning so much quicker.

by Orkar Isber
August 19, 2015

I do agree. when learning a language you face many difficulties. In terms of Dovahzul you have the same problems as when learning a dead language - normally it wouldnt be a huge issue if you learn something the wrong way because exposing yourself to the language will quickly correct the mistake just like children may pronounce some words weird or write them totally wrong but over time the mistake corrects itself as they hear how others do it.

With dovahzul and dead languages you wont have that essential tool of correction so its all the more important that you learn it correctly from the start as later correction would need a hell lot of effort to do.

Basicly Dovahzul aint that hard to learn as a language, its rather simple, but it can be very challenging as, so far, we have only so little material.

I also learn icelandic as example and its far easier for me though the language is far more complex than dovahzul - because in icelandic i have movies, radio podcasts, a hell lot of books to read - its so much easier to expose yourself to the language and that helps you understand it so much better.

As example - the word qalos "touch" and the word haalvut "touch" confused me a lot as both mean touch until i realised qalos is a touch and haalvut is to touch. This mistake went unnoticed for weeks until i realised it. In icelandic i had a similiar problem but there it was fixed in just 2 days as i watched a disney movie in icelandic and heard the different uses of a word that seemingly meant the same in the vocabulary book but through hearing its use i was able to grasp its actual use and meaning so much quicker.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.