Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Rolling R's

Shadow
August 30, 2015

I'm learning Dovahzul and Spanish, both use the rolled R, all of my family seems to be able to roll their R's but I have not a clue how, their "tips" don't help. Is rolling the R necessary when speaking Dovahzul? I can do a slight roll when the R is paired with another letter such as in Drem and Pruzah but it's more of a flick of my tongue and not a vibration. I also heard some people just can't do it :(

by Shadow
August 30, 2015

I'm learning Dovahzul and Spanish, both use the rolled R, all of my family seems to be able to roll their R's but I have not a clue how, their "tips" don't help. Is rolling the R necessary when speaking Dovahzul? I can do a slight roll when the R is paired with another letter such as in Drem and Pruzah but it's more of a flick of my tongue and not a vibration. I also heard some people just can't do it :(

Frinmulaar
August 30, 2015

It doesn't seem necessary by any means. Even some dragons in Skyrim use the retroflex variant found in most English dialects.

by Frinmulaar
August 30, 2015

It doesn't seem necessary by any means. Even some dragons in Skyrim use the retroflex variant found in most English dialects.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 30, 2015

As Freymulaar says it's not necessary, but here are some tips. Start by raising your tongue behind your upper teeth (alveolar) as if you were pronouncing the letter "l".  Hold it there and then increase the force of your breath until you're practically hissing. If all goes well, your tongue should naturally begin to roll.

by paarthurnax
August 30, 2015

As Freymulaar says it's not necessary, but here are some tips. Start by raising your tongue behind your upper teeth (alveolar) as if you were pronouncing the letter "l".  Hold it there and then increase the force of your breath until you're practically hissing. If all goes well, your tongue should naturally begin to roll.

Orkar Isber
August 30, 2015

Rolling the R does help to distinguish it as a sound and i think it kinda sounds cooler as well. However its not needed to learn it.

You can actually roll your R in 2 ways either by vibrating your tongue or by vibrating your throat. The typical rolled R would be the vibrating tongue. The other is a bit harder to do and more used in Throat singing - it can also be kinda painfull at the start. The tongue R is easier to do

by Orkar Isber
August 30, 2015

Rolling the R does help to distinguish it as a sound and i think it kinda sounds cooler as well. However its not needed to learn it.

You can actually roll your R in 2 ways either by vibrating your tongue or by vibrating your throat. The typical rolled R would be the vibrating tongue. The other is a bit harder to do and more used in Throat singing - it can also be kinda painfull at the start. The tongue R is easier to do

Shadow
August 30, 2015
paarthurnax

Hmm tried that but nothing ever happens to my tongue, like it's too stiff and not relaxed? The best I can come to is almost blowing a raspberry without sticking my tongue out 

My younger siblings can roll their R's using their throat, my mother and cousin uses their tongue, I wasn't born talented lol

by Shadow
August 30, 2015
paarthurnax

Hmm tried that but nothing ever happens to my tongue, like it's too stiff and not relaxed? The best I can come to is almost blowing a raspberry without sticking my tongue out 

My younger siblings can roll their R's using their throat, my mother and cousin uses their tongue, I wasn't born talented lol

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.