Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Omission of "los" in Dovahzul?

SharThulovaas
September 16, 2015

I sincerely hope this hasn't already been addressed in another forum post, but I've looked and so far I haven't been able to find anything pertaining to this question, including in the "Sentence Structure" portion of the first section of the lessons page.  

I've noticed that in some of Parthurnaax's speech (within Skyrim) seems to be without the word "los" where it seemingly should be, given that these statements are full sentences.  For example, when discussing Alduin's "defeat" the first time you encounter him, he will say "... But this was not enough. Ok mulaag unslaad.", or "His power unending." 

I believe it's simply the manner in which he speaks, as the sentence structure seems to be like this occasionally when speaking in Cyrodilic, but I'm unsure.  Can someone who's a little more knowledgeable help a newbie out by clarifying this?

by SharThulovaas
September 16, 2015

I sincerely hope this hasn't already been addressed in another forum post, but I've looked and so far I haven't been able to find anything pertaining to this question, including in the "Sentence Structure" portion of the first section of the lessons page.  

I've noticed that in some of Parthurnaax's speech (within Skyrim) seems to be without the word "los" where it seemingly should be, given that these statements are full sentences.  For example, when discussing Alduin's "defeat" the first time you encounter him, he will say "... But this was not enough. Ok mulaag unslaad.", or "His power unending." 

I believe it's simply the manner in which he speaks, as the sentence structure seems to be like this occasionally when speaking in Cyrodilic, but I'm unsure.  Can someone who's a little more knowledgeable help a newbie out by clarifying this?

Orkar Isber
September 17, 2015

Being a noob myself here ill still try.

In Dovahzul it is common to keep sentences as short as possible, meaning to convey the meaning of what you want to say with as little words as possible. That is why articles in speech are usually cut out completly unless you want to emphasise a word.

In written text words are usually not cut out unless for rhime rythm but in spoken language you cut out as many words as possible and since "his power unending" is clear - at least to me its clear what he wanted to say the word "his power IS unending" is not necessary to get the meaning so you can leave it out. 

by Orkar Isber
September 17, 2015

Being a noob myself here ill still try.

In Dovahzul it is common to keep sentences as short as possible, meaning to convey the meaning of what you want to say with as little words as possible. That is why articles in speech are usually cut out completly unless you want to emphasise a word.

In written text words are usually not cut out unless for rhime rythm but in spoken language you cut out as many words as possible and since "his power unending" is clear - at least to me its clear what he wanted to say the word "his power IS unending" is not necessary to get the meaning so you can leave it out. 

SharThulovaas
September 17, 2015

That makes sense.  I appreciate the input!  In a way, it's kinda similar to Spanish in that regard, as you would often omit "Yo" or "I" unless you wanted to put emphasis on it.  

Thanks again!

by SharThulovaas
September 17, 2015

That makes sense.  I appreciate the input!  In a way, it's kinda similar to Spanish in that regard, as you would often omit "Yo" or "I" unless you wanted to put emphasis on it.  

Thanks again!

Ahbiilok
October 2, 2015

Might I add that if you're trying to saysomething like I'm its fine to omit los.

For example: "Zu'u Seth" Which means I'm Seth. 

You, cannot however remove it if it is "I am Seth" Then you would write "Zu'u los Seth"

by Ahbiilok
October 2, 2015

Might I add that if you're trying to saysomething like I'm its fine to omit los.

For example: "Zu'u Seth" Which means I'm Seth. 

You, cannot however remove it if it is "I am Seth" Then you would write "Zu'u los Seth"

Frinmulaar
October 2, 2015

@Ahbiilok

In other words, you cannot omit what is being emphasized, for the sole reason that you cannot emphasize silence.

by Frinmulaar
October 2, 2015

@Ahbiilok

In other words, you cannot omit what is being emphasized, for the sole reason that you cannot emphasize silence.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.