Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Dovahzul Books

Murra
July 27, 2013

Drem Yol Lok fellow Dovahvul enthusiasts. I had an idea that would help people like myself learn to read, write and understand this language. It might also help expand the dictionary a little as there are still some gaps. 

I am sure most of us learned how to read and write by reading books as a kid. It might be one of the best ways other than immersion, which can't be done with Dovahzul. And because this would be, at the very least, a second language it would help further understanding Dovahzul if we use common nursery rhymes and books that we all know. If anyone has taken a language class, they do use books such as "Cat in the Hat" to help the students. (Or at least my school did) 

These books can be made into PDF files or whatever to be downloaded and printed to personal use. Or I guess just downloaded and read on the computer, whatever works for people.

I think this project would be very helpful and maybe even a little fun to complete. Especially if we can get a handful of books made. Does anyone else think that this might be a good idea and/or want to join me in this pursuit? I have already done "Green Eggs and Ham" that needs a few words (ham for example. We don't have a word for "ham") and to be checked for proper grammar. 

**EDIT**

Whoops. I guess there kind of was a thread kind of for this...kind of. Krosis. I hope it doesn't count as a duplicate. 

I would also like to point out that there would be illustrations in these translated books. What's a kids book without pictures? They would obviously be from the book we're translating; it would be too much work to redo or totally create the illustrations. 

by Murra
July 27, 2013

Drem Yol Lok fellow Dovahvul enthusiasts. I had an idea that would help people like myself learn to read, write and understand this language. It might also help expand the dictionary a little as there are still some gaps. 

I am sure most of us learned how to read and write by reading books as a kid. It might be one of the best ways other than immersion, which can't be done with Dovahzul. And because this would be, at the very least, a second language it would help further understanding Dovahzul if we use common nursery rhymes and books that we all know. If anyone has taken a language class, they do use books such as "Cat in the Hat" to help the students. (Or at least my school did) 

These books can be made into PDF files or whatever to be downloaded and printed to personal use. Or I guess just downloaded and read on the computer, whatever works for people.

I think this project would be very helpful and maybe even a little fun to complete. Especially if we can get a handful of books made. Does anyone else think that this might be a good idea and/or want to join me in this pursuit? I have already done "Green Eggs and Ham" that needs a few words (ham for example. We don't have a word for "ham") and to be checked for proper grammar. 

**EDIT**

Whoops. I guess there kind of was a thread kind of for this...kind of. Krosis. I hope it doesn't count as a duplicate. 

I would also like to point out that there would be illustrations in these translated books. What's a kids book without pictures? They would obviously be from the book we're translating; it would be too much work to redo or totally create the illustrations. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 27, 2013

I think this is a great idea!  One could be an ABCs book, and of course various lore-related stories and nursery rhymes.  The illustrations would be really fun too.  I suppose this thread can be an official idea thread?

by paarthurnax
July 27, 2013

I think this is a great idea!  One could be an ABCs book, and of course various lore-related stories and nursery rhymes.  The illustrations would be really fun too.  I suppose this thread can be an official idea thread?

Murra
July 27, 2013

Yeah! Of course with the ABCs some letters would need to be added or omitted, because there is no "C" and there's a letter for "aa" and so on. 

Official idea thread! Cool. =D 

Well right now I need a few words to 'complete' Green Eggs and Ham. Like stated before, I need to word "Ham", and there is also no word for "car." I also ran across a problem with the word "house." We have Home, but not House, though that word might not need to be replaced.  And we don't have "mouse" but we have Rat. That one DOES need to be replaced because they're two different animals. Any translation ideas? I don't know any other language well enough to create a good word for those. =( 

Once I have those all I will need is a grammar check and I can submit the PDF for peole to have and read. 

by Murra
July 27, 2013

Yeah! Of course with the ABCs some letters would need to be added or omitted, because there is no "C" and there's a letter for "aa" and so on. 

Official idea thread! Cool. =D 

Well right now I need a few words to 'complete' Green Eggs and Ham. Like stated before, I need to word "Ham", and there is also no word for "car." I also ran across a problem with the word "house." We have Home, but not House, though that word might not need to be replaced.  And we don't have "mouse" but we have Rat. That one DOES need to be replaced because they're two different animals. Any translation ideas? I don't know any other language well enough to create a good word for those. =( 

Once I have those all I will need is a grammar check and I can submit the PDF for peole to have and read. 

paarthurnax
Administrator
July 27, 2013

Here's an alphabet rhyme I wrote up.  I stuck with canon words as much as possible, but sometimes there weren't canon words that began with a letter, and sometimes there weren't any words that began with the letter.  But, here goes:

Aa is for Aak, the guide in the night.
A is for Al, destroyer and blight.
Ah is for Ahkrin, for courage undying.
B is for Bo, move, flow, and flying.
D is for Dovah, the dragons of lore.
E is for Evgir, the year’s seasons four.
Ei is for Eir, forged bronze that shines.
Ey is for Eyron that helps in the mines.
F is for Fahliil with her magical potion.
G is for Gaaf who haunts barrow and ocean.
H is for Heim, where strong steel is made.
I is for In, master of sword, song, or trade.
Ii is for Iiz, ice on lakes and ground both.
Ir is for Irkbaan, to hate and to loath.
J is for Jun, who owns throne and crown.
K is for Kodaav, the bear large and brown.
L is for Lein, the world all about.
M is for Morah to focus your Shout.
N is for Nir, to hunt on the hills.
O is for Od with its wintery chills.
Oo is for Joor, a weak mortal being.
P is for Prodah, foretelling and foreseeing.
Q is for Qahnaarin, slayer of the Dov in its tower.
R is Rot, word of language or Power.
S is for Strunmah tall and white as a ghost.
T is for Tafiir, thief more sneaky than most.
U is for Unslaad, eternal, unending.
Uu is for Thu’um,  force, frost, or dragonrending.
Ur is for Urid, a bounty’s reward.
V is for Veysun that sails and explores.
W is for Wundun, to travel far and wide.
X is for Bex, open a chest; what’s inside?
Z is for Zahkrii, a sword armor-breeching…
…and Zind for triumph for completing this teaching!

by paarthurnax
July 27, 2013

Here's an alphabet rhyme I wrote up.  I stuck with canon words as much as possible, but sometimes there weren't canon words that began with a letter, and sometimes there weren't any words that began with the letter.  But, here goes:

Aa is for Aak, the guide in the night.
A is for Al, destroyer and blight.
Ah is for Ahkrin, for courage undying.
B is for Bo, move, flow, and flying.
D is for Dovah, the dragons of lore.
E is for Evgir, the year’s seasons four.
Ei is for Eir, forged bronze that shines.
Ey is for Eyron that helps in the mines.
F is for Fahliil with her magical potion.
G is for Gaaf who haunts barrow and ocean.
H is for Heim, where strong steel is made.
I is for In, master of sword, song, or trade.
Ii is for Iiz, ice on lakes and ground both.
Ir is for Irkbaan, to hate and to loath.
J is for Jun, who owns throne and crown.
K is for Kodaav, the bear large and brown.
L is for Lein, the world all about.
M is for Morah to focus your Shout.
N is for Nir, to hunt on the hills.
O is for Od with its wintery chills.
Oo is for Joor, a weak mortal being.
P is for Prodah, foretelling and foreseeing.
Q is for Qahnaarin, slayer of the Dov in its tower.
R is Rot, word of language or Power.
S is for Strunmah tall and white as a ghost.
T is for Tafiir, thief more sneaky than most.
U is for Unslaad, eternal, unending.
Uu is for Thu’um,  force, frost, or dragonrending.
Ur is for Urid, a bounty’s reward.
V is for Veysun that sails and explores.
W is for Wundun, to travel far and wide.
X is for Bex, open a chest; what’s inside?
Z is for Zahkrii, a sword armor-breeching…
…and Zind for triumph for completing this teaching!

Murra
July 28, 2013

I love it! This poem makes me just smile. Lokal Kahriil! ^_^

I'm going to save this and make some simple art for the pages. 

by Murra
July 28, 2013

I love it! This poem makes me just smile. Lokal Kahriil! ^_^

I'm going to save this and make some simple art for the pages. 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.