Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

First Word Submission Conflict.

Khelt
August 5, 2013

Salutations!

I have come about a questionable part in my contribution to this beastiary language, more specifically, my interest in one word: "Imperfect"

Now I've been a good boy and looked up the obvious root word "Perfect", which is published as "Tozeinnu", Rooted from the word "Tozein" (noun: Fault, Mistake). I have gone through the multiple ways I could create the word "Imperfect" as rooted from these, but alas, they didn't really work out for me.

My ways of going about this:

1. First step was just to use a simple negation of "Tozeinnu" which would be "Votozeinnu". Now that just sounds silly, and to me I feel like it went through a bit too many Suffixes and Prefixes to get there. we Basically went from "Fault" to "Faultless" to "Non-Faultless", which I don't know about you but the 3rd step feels a bit unnecessary.

2. I went to the Root word, "Tozein" (noun: Fault, Mistake) and made an attempt to turn it into an Adjective, and there were two ways to go about that. Prefix version is "Zotozein" (Fault-ful), and the Suffix version is "Tozeinus" (Faulty). Not to be picky, but both of those sound like Prescription Drug Medications, and seem to evade the Idea of sounding apart of the Dragon Language.

And this is where my point of this thread comes in.
Knowing both of these don't seem like the perfect (ha, pun) choice, I have come to you people for permission to just create the word without much of a Root.
In more of my defense in just wanting to personally create this word, Languages usually come with multiple words meaning the same thing if we all decide "Tozeinus" is beautiful and should be the correct way to say "Faulty / Imperfect" °-°

So Language monglers, may I have the permission to create the word "Imperfect" without the existing obvious roots? :)

Or maybe you can suggest an Alternative to have the word sound Awesome and Draconic, yet still retain it's roots.

by Khelt
August 5, 2013

Salutations!

I have come about a questionable part in my contribution to this beastiary language, more specifically, my interest in one word: "Imperfect"

Now I've been a good boy and looked up the obvious root word "Perfect", which is published as "Tozeinnu", Rooted from the word "Tozein" (noun: Fault, Mistake). I have gone through the multiple ways I could create the word "Imperfect" as rooted from these, but alas, they didn't really work out for me.

My ways of going about this:

1. First step was just to use a simple negation of "Tozeinnu" which would be "Votozeinnu". Now that just sounds silly, and to me I feel like it went through a bit too many Suffixes and Prefixes to get there. we Basically went from "Fault" to "Faultless" to "Non-Faultless", which I don't know about you but the 3rd step feels a bit unnecessary.

2. I went to the Root word, "Tozein" (noun: Fault, Mistake) and made an attempt to turn it into an Adjective, and there were two ways to go about that. Prefix version is "Zotozein" (Fault-ful), and the Suffix version is "Tozeinus" (Faulty). Not to be picky, but both of those sound like Prescription Drug Medications, and seem to evade the Idea of sounding apart of the Dragon Language.

And this is where my point of this thread comes in.
Knowing both of these don't seem like the perfect (ha, pun) choice, I have come to you people for permission to just create the word without much of a Root.
In more of my defense in just wanting to personally create this word, Languages usually come with multiple words meaning the same thing if we all decide "Tozeinus" is beautiful and should be the correct way to say "Faulty / Imperfect" °-°

So Language monglers, may I have the permission to create the word "Imperfect" without the existing obvious roots? :)

Or maybe you can suggest an Alternative to have the word sound Awesome and Draconic, yet still retain it's roots.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 5, 2013

You've gone through quite a bit of work!  I agree that "Votozeinnu" would be strrange since it's a double-negative.   I would say that you are more than welcome to create a new word with no roots for "Imperfect".  To justify a new word more, you can also expand that word to mean close synonyms like "flawed".

As a side note, I think Tozeinnus would be a good word for "faulty".

by paarthurnax
August 5, 2013

You've gone through quite a bit of work!  I agree that "Votozeinnu" would be strrange since it's a double-negative.   I would say that you are more than welcome to create a new word with no roots for "Imperfect".  To justify a new word more, you can also expand that word to mean close synonyms like "flawed".

As a side note, I think Tozeinnus would be a good word for "faulty".

Khelt
August 5, 2013

Why thank you :)

I have checked and "Kunriiv" as a word is not taken, does this sound good for "Imperfect"?

by Khelt
August 5, 2013

Why thank you :)

I have checked and "Kunriiv" as a word is not taken, does this sound good for "Imperfect"?

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.