Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The nickname of "Stormcloak" and Ulfric's father

scrptrx
August 13, 2013

In the back of my mind I remember reading that "Stormcloak" was an epithet given to the followers of Ulfric as a sort of insult, but the followers of Ulfric took it on with pride.

How I can't find the bloody reference! Help? I've googled and read and I'm going crazy.

Also, was it ever established that Stormcloak was Ulfric's family name or just an epithet? Does it have to do with him and his time at High Hrothgar?

by scrptrx
August 13, 2013

In the back of my mind I remember reading that "Stormcloak" was an epithet given to the followers of Ulfric as a sort of insult, but the followers of Ulfric took it on with pride.

How I can't find the bloody reference! Help? I've googled and read and I'm going crazy.

Also, was it ever established that Stormcloak was Ulfric's family name or just an epithet? Does it have to do with him and his time at High Hrothgar?

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 13, 2013

I can't seem to find anything that says "Stormcloak" is an epithet instead of Ulfric's true last name.  It would make sense if it came from his time with the Greybeards, since they name the Dragonborn "Stormcrown".

Problem is, "Stormcloak" turns up so many search results it's hard to find anything specific!  I'll keep looking, though.

by paarthurnax
August 13, 2013

I can't seem to find anything that says "Stormcloak" is an epithet instead of Ulfric's true last name.  It would make sense if it came from his time with the Greybeards, since they name the Dragonborn "Stormcrown".

Problem is, "Stormcloak" turns up so many search results it's hard to find anything specific!  I'll keep looking, though.

scrptrx
August 13, 2013

Thanks. I checked both UESP and Wikia but just can't find the comment I'm thinking of. Perhaps it isn't a canon comment..... or maybe it's in-game and just not online. argh.

I'm thinking it's an epithet and not a family name, but whichever it is, the nickname of The Stormcloaks came from that. I just can't find THAT info... grar.

by scrptrx
August 13, 2013

Thanks. I checked both UESP and Wikia but just can't find the comment I'm thinking of. Perhaps it isn't a canon comment..... or maybe it's in-game and just not online. argh.

I'm thinking it's an epithet and not a family name, but whichever it is, the nickname of The Stormcloaks came from that. I just can't find THAT info... grar.

paarthurnax
Administrator
August 13, 2013

I believe I may have found something at the bottom of the page here.  It appears to be largely speculation, but may have been what you read earlier.

by paarthurnax
August 13, 2013

I believe I may have found something at the bottom of the page here.  It appears to be largely speculation, but may have been what you read earlier.

scrptrx
August 13, 2013

hahahaha I was literally just about to post that. But I swear I heard it in game or read it on a wiki type page, but not that page.

by scrptrx
August 13, 2013

hahahaha I was literally just about to post that. But I swear I heard it in game or read it on a wiki type page, but not that page.

scrptrx
August 13, 2013

This post has been deleted.

by scrptrx
August 13, 2013

scrptrx
August 13, 2013

by scrptrx
August 13, 2013

GodofGames2468
September 22, 2015

The Empire gave the rebels the nickname stormcloaks

by GodofGames2468
September 22, 2015

The Empire gave the rebels the nickname stormcloaks

scrptrx
September 24, 2015

In updating my own thread, ESO introduces an ancestor of Ulfric, whose surname is Stormcloak, so the surname is a very old one.

by scrptrx
September 24, 2015

In updating my own thread, ESO introduces an ancestor of Ulfric, whose surname is Stormcloak, so the surname is a very old one.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.