Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Dragon Cult: Saviors of Humanity or Tyrants?

Duryoljot
January 6, 2016

The people of Atmora probably would not have survived that long without the guidance of the Dragon Cult, according to the Dragon Priests and their devout apprentices. What do you think? Could the Dragon Cult ever have  been trying to protect humanity? Or the wardens of their own people, enslaved to the dragons?

by Duryoljot
January 6, 2016

The people of Atmora probably would not have survived that long without the guidance of the Dragon Cult, according to the Dragon Priests and their devout apprentices. What do you think? Could the Dragon Cult ever have  been trying to protect humanity? Or the wardens of their own people, enslaved to the dragons?

Vokun Raaviir
January 6, 2016
The priests served the dragons who enslaved mankind. I'm going with tyrants.
by Vokun Raaviir
January 6, 2016
The priests served the dragons who enslaved mankind. I'm going with tyrants.

YolGoraagKaazah
January 6, 2016

@Vokun Raavir I was literally going to say the exact same thing (great minds think alike, eh?). So yeah, tyrants.

by YolGoraagKaazah
January 6, 2016

@Vokun Raavir I was literally going to say the exact same thing (great minds think alike, eh?). So yeah, tyrants.

YolGoraagKaazah
January 6, 2016

by YolGoraagKaazah
January 6, 2016

volzah zol
January 6, 2016

No amount of protection is worth giving up your freedom. I have to go with tyrants. Better to live a dangerous but free life, than a safe life of servitude. 

by volzah zol
January 6, 2016

No amount of protection is worth giving up your freedom. I have to go with tyrants. Better to live a dangerous but free life, than a safe life of servitude. 

Duryoljot
January 7, 2016

I would agree with you but alas I have given my freedom to the argument.

Anyone who disobeyed the cult was an outcast. The cult is everywhere. The general populace would not be able to live in hermit den for the rest of their lives while dragons commanded armies of those loyal. They would be slaughtered. Probably in very cruel ways. Would you really subject yourself to that?

by Duryoljot
January 7, 2016

I would agree with you but alas I have given my freedom to the argument.

Anyone who disobeyed the cult was an outcast. The cult is everywhere. The general populace would not be able to live in hermit den for the rest of their lives while dragons commanded armies of those loyal. They would be slaughtered. Probably in very cruel ways. Would you really subject yourself to that?

volzah zol
January 7, 2016

It seems to me that already played itself out, and both the dragons, and the dragon preists lost. So it would seem the majority prefer freedom as well. 

by volzah zol
January 7, 2016

It seems to me that already played itself out, and both the dragons, and the dragon preists lost. So it would seem the majority prefer freedom as well. 

Duryoljot
January 8, 2016

It wasn't so simple to proclaim your views then. I suppose the cult was eventually ended in the war. 

I just think that there might have been some higher intentions than tyranny somewhere deep within their ranks. Not anything like the cruel Miraak (whom I have enslaved to follow me, I call him Maurice), but perhaps others like the brave alchemist in the tomb of... what was it, Vahlok? You find a draugr stuck by a couple arrows in a chair. The place with all of the Deathbell blooms strewn about.

by Duryoljot
January 8, 2016

It wasn't so simple to proclaim your views then. I suppose the cult was eventually ended in the war. 

I just think that there might have been some higher intentions than tyranny somewhere deep within their ranks. Not anything like the cruel Miraak (whom I have enslaved to follow me, I call him Maurice), but perhaps others like the brave alchemist in the tomb of... what was it, Vahlok? You find a draugr stuck by a couple arrows in a chair. The place with all of the Deathbell blooms strewn about.

Duryoljot
January 8, 2016

Oh yeah, and did I mention that there are still cults in Tamriel following the dragons? It was mentioned in a book somewhere, I think. Or dialogue. Anyways, what sort of aspects do you think they took on?

by Duryoljot
January 8, 2016

Oh yeah, and did I mention that there are still cults in Tamriel following the dragons? It was mentioned in a book somewhere, I think. Or dialogue. Anyways, what sort of aspects do you think they took on?

volzah zol
January 8, 2016

It's said that in the early days of the dragon cult, men worshiped the dragons, and the priests kept the peace between the two. But like all religions, over time it became about power and control. They began to enslave the people of Skyrim, and while few historians can agree on the cause, many feel it was most likely Alduin's influence over the dragons, and that resonated down to the dragon priests, the loyal servants of the dovah. To a dragon, it's their birthright to rule over mortals, and what happens to the mortals in the process is of little consequence. Either they submit, or perish. The priests we instrumental in facilitating this. Thus, after a while resentment grew, as did did the spirit of rebellion. By the time men had broken free from their enslavement, they actually viewed Akatosh as a demon, where they had once viewed him as a beloved god. It took quite some time for the priests of the Eight Devines to convert the Nords because of this, and many still refused to believe Akatosh to be a benevolent diety. 

by volzah zol
January 8, 2016

It's said that in the early days of the dragon cult, men worshiped the dragons, and the priests kept the peace between the two. But like all religions, over time it became about power and control. They began to enslave the people of Skyrim, and while few historians can agree on the cause, many feel it was most likely Alduin's influence over the dragons, and that resonated down to the dragon priests, the loyal servants of the dovah. To a dragon, it's their birthright to rule over mortals, and what happens to the mortals in the process is of little consequence. Either they submit, or perish. The priests we instrumental in facilitating this. Thus, after a while resentment grew, as did did the spirit of rebellion. By the time men had broken free from their enslavement, they actually viewed Akatosh as a demon, where they had once viewed him as a beloved god. It took quite some time for the priests of the Eight Devines to convert the Nords because of this, and many still refused to believe Akatosh to be a benevolent diety. 

Duryoljot
January 11, 2016

That whole Akatosh thing is hardly mentioned in-game. 

But I think Akatosh probably deserved all that, he did create Alduin after all. Even though some would argue that the creation of a new world and the ending of ours is something that must happen for life to begin anew. But how much of that new world would be in the dragon image?

by Duryoljot
January 11, 2016

That whole Akatosh thing is hardly mentioned in-game. 

But I think Akatosh probably deserved all that, he did create Alduin after all. Even though some would argue that the creation of a new world and the ending of ours is something that must happen for life to begin anew. But how much of that new world would be in the dragon image?

volzah zol
January 11, 2016

Honestly it still boggles the mind how any mortal race would worship Akatosh considering he did create the means of ending their world. I wonder though, since the eight divines were tricked into forming the realm of Mundus, is it possible that a new world wouldn't be created at all, and the creation of Alduin was really meant as way for Akatosh and the other divines to escape their imprisonment? That the whole prophecy is just a lie to make the mortals feel better about their impending doom? Akatosh actually punished Alduin for not fulfilling his duty as world eater. It almost sounds as if Akatosh is really in favor of man and mer's destruction. 

by volzah zol
January 11, 2016

Honestly it still boggles the mind how any mortal race would worship Akatosh considering he did create the means of ending their world. I wonder though, since the eight divines were tricked into forming the realm of Mundus, is it possible that a new world wouldn't be created at all, and the creation of Alduin was really meant as way for Akatosh and the other divines to escape their imprisonment? That the whole prophecy is just a lie to make the mortals feel better about their impending doom? Akatosh actually punished Alduin for not fulfilling his duty as world eater. It almost sounds as if Akatosh is really in favor of man and mer's destruction. 

Duryoljot
January 12, 2016

That would be awful Divine of him... and the other Gods. I wonder how the Daedra would react to... whatever realm may or may not exist after the destruction of Mundus as we know it. 

Could a war between the two forces possibly happen? Beings of change and stasis... It challenges your way of looking at the laws of existence. And what of the lesser creatures? Where would all our life forces go? Would our remnants go to the daedra?

by Duryoljot
January 12, 2016

That would be awful Divine of him... and the other Gods. I wonder how the Daedra would react to... whatever realm may or may not exist after the destruction of Mundus as we know it. 

Could a war between the two forces possibly happen? Beings of change and stasis... It challenges your way of looking at the laws of existence. And what of the lesser creatures? Where would all our life forces go? Would our remnants go to the daedra?

volzah zol
January 14, 2016

If I remember right, the Eight Divines are actually 'less' powerful than the Daedra. When Lorkhan tricked the other Aedra into forming Mundus, it took a great deal of their power away from them, trapping them into the realm, and making them 'mortal'. Unlike the Daedra who can only be killed while in their plane of Oblivion, the Aedra can be killed, and are bound to Nirn. Any war between the two would have to take place on Nirn, and ultimately, result in the deaths of the Divines. 

Imagine what would happen to Nirn if the Daedra were allowed free reign! 

by volzah zol
January 14, 2016

If I remember right, the Eight Divines are actually 'less' powerful than the Daedra. When Lorkhan tricked the other Aedra into forming Mundus, it took a great deal of their power away from them, trapping them into the realm, and making them 'mortal'. Unlike the Daedra who can only be killed while in their plane of Oblivion, the Aedra can be killed, and are bound to Nirn. Any war between the two would have to take place on Nirn, and ultimately, result in the deaths of the Divines. 

Imagine what would happen to Nirn if the Daedra were allowed free reign! 

Duryoljot
January 14, 2016

The world twisted apart by the battiling Daedra... Men nor Mer would stand a chance.

But is it possible an escape to another realm could be made? Perhaps to Aetherius, where the Dwemer debatedly roam? The heart of Lorkhan... Is it possible the Dunmer could play a role in the undoing of their ancestor's deeds?

I'm pretty sure this is going to be like the final Elder Scrolls game, this timeline is so intense.

by Duryoljot
January 14, 2016

The world twisted apart by the battiling Daedra... Men nor Mer would stand a chance.

But is it possible an escape to another realm could be made? Perhaps to Aetherius, where the Dwemer debatedly roam? The heart of Lorkhan... Is it possible the Dunmer could play a role in the undoing of their ancestor's deeds?

I'm pretty sure this is going to be like the final Elder Scrolls game, this timeline is so intense.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.