Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Most challenging part of the language?

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 17, 2013

What has been the most challenging part about learning or using the Dragon Language for you?  What tools or lessons would be helpful to learn those parts?

by paarthurnax
February 17, 2013

What has been the most challenging part about learning or using the Dragon Language for you?  What tools or lessons would be helpful to learn those parts?

RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

I think it would have to be the fact that in order to phrase something one has to somewhat strip it down to its basics in english first to do so. Like in trying to say "Honored One" It's not so clear as to which word to use and how to quite do this which lead to "Dovah do zin". I also seem to have difficulty finding the proper part of the lessons and grammar page I want to look at to find the answers.

by RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

I think it would have to be the fact that in order to phrase something one has to somewhat strip it down to its basics in english first to do so. Like in trying to say "Honored One" It's not so clear as to which word to use and how to quite do this which lead to "Dovah do zin". I also seem to have difficulty finding the proper part of the lessons and grammar page I want to look at to find the answers.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 18, 2013
RedCartographer

I also seem to have difficulty finding the proper part of the lessons and grammar page I want to look at to find the answers.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I didn't write the lessons in any specific order, only in the order I thought them up.  Can you think of anything that would help make it easier to find which lesson you need to look at?  At the moment they are more or less ordered by parts of speech (pronouns, nouns, verbs, etc.).

There are also grammatical rules we haven't come up with yet.  For example, we don't have a set-in-stone way to say "Honored One".  It would most likely be "Zinaan Gein", which would translate literally as "One who is honored"/"One who has been honored".

by paarthurnax
February 18, 2013
RedCartographer

I also seem to have difficulty finding the proper part of the lessons and grammar page I want to look at to find the answers.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I didn't write the lessons in any specific order, only in the order I thought them up.  Can you think of anything that would help make it easier to find which lesson you need to look at?  At the moment they are more or less ordered by parts of speech (pronouns, nouns, verbs, etc.).

There are also grammatical rules we haven't come up with yet.  For example, we don't have a set-in-stone way to say "Honored One".  It would most likely be "Zinaan Gein", which would translate literally as "One who is honored"/"One who has been honored".

RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

Well my main problem was I didn't know what category what I was looking for exactly. Because I couldn't really think of the technical term in my head, perhaps if you had a collapseable menu so that we could expand the sections and pick exactly what part we want to look at? I think that would help and thank you for explaining the phrase I wanted to use.

by RedCartographer
February 18, 2013

Well my main problem was I didn't know what category what I was looking for exactly. Because I couldn't really think of the technical term in my head, perhaps if you had a collapseable menu so that we could expand the sections and pick exactly what part we want to look at? I think that would help and thank you for explaining the phrase I wanted to use.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 18, 2013
RedCartographer

perhaps if you had a collapseable menu so that we could expand the sections and pick exactly what part we want to look at? 

That's a good idea, I'll get to work on that and post an update on the forums when it's ready.

by paarthurnax
February 18, 2013
RedCartographer

perhaps if you had a collapseable menu so that we could expand the sections and pick exactly what part we want to look at? 

That's a good idea, I'll get to work on that and post an update on the forums when it's ready.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 23, 2013

Here you go.

by paarthurnax
February 23, 2013

Here you go.

scrptrx
April 11, 2013

Suffixes throw me off. Not because they're confusing, but because I forget I need them sometimes. Being fluent in English and trained in Latin you'd think I'd be all over this but.... heh.

But I started learning the language from other sites before I found this one (hallelujah). They were certainly not as thorough with the grammar lessons.

I think the biggest issue is remembering what to do when a word ends in a vowel, since we don't have to worry about that in English so much.

by scrptrx
April 11, 2013

Suffixes throw me off. Not because they're confusing, but because I forget I need them sometimes. Being fluent in English and trained in Latin you'd think I'd be all over this but.... heh.

But I started learning the language from other sites before I found this one (hallelujah). They were certainly not as thorough with the grammar lessons.

I think the biggest issue is remembering what to do when a word ends in a vowel, since we don't have to worry about that in English so much.

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.