Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thuum.org

A community for the dragon language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Tattoo ideas

Unctrledkhaos
February 12, 2016

The quote we are looking for is "Friends/Best Friends transcend distance and time". We've played around with the wording and stuff but transcend isn't in the dictionary so we're looking for a similar word that carries over the meaning or alternate phrasing. All thoughts welcome! 

by Unctrledkhaos
February 12, 2016

The quote we are looking for is "Friends/Best Friends transcend distance and time". We've played around with the wording and stuff but transcend isn't in the dictionary so we're looking for a similar word that carries over the meaning or alternate phrasing. All thoughts welcome! 

Dezonikso
February 12, 2016
The best way I find is to plug a word that isn't canonical, "transcend" in your instance, into an English thesaurus, find the most suitable synonyms for what you're trying to say (ex. Surpass, exceed, etc.), and try translating those. I took the liberty of doing this for you, but couldn't find any synonyms for "transcend" that would translate canonically, but often times this will happen, in which case you would have to reword still your English if you wish to translate it. What I've come up with for your quote that says what you're trying to say is "Friends never surrender to distance or time" which should translate as (if I am correct; somebody fact check me and tell me if I'm wrong) "Fahdonne neh Gahvon Gut uv Tiid". Now at this point, you could chose whether the tattoo be in the runes or the Roman alphabet (I suggest runes because they are more recognizable to fans of the language and the game, and they just look cooler in my opinion). Unfortunately, I am writing this on my phone so I am not able to write out the runes here for you, but I'm sure somebody else could easily help. However, I will put the link in another post to the runes of the Dragon alphabet if you wish to try your hand at transcribing it yourself. :)
by Dezonikso
February 12, 2016
The best way I find is to plug a word that isn't canonical, "transcend" in your instance, into an English thesaurus, find the most suitable synonyms for what you're trying to say (ex. Surpass, exceed, etc.), and try translating those. I took the liberty of doing this for you, but couldn't find any synonyms for "transcend" that would translate canonically, but often times this will happen, in which case you would have to reword still your English if you wish to translate it. What I've come up with for your quote that says what you're trying to say is "Friends never surrender to distance or time" which should translate as (if I am correct; somebody fact check me and tell me if I'm wrong) "Fahdonne neh Gahvon Gut uv Tiid". Now at this point, you could chose whether the tattoo be in the runes or the Roman alphabet (I suggest runes because they are more recognizable to fans of the language and the game, and they just look cooler in my opinion). Unfortunately, I am writing this on my phone so I am not able to write out the runes here for you, but I'm sure somebody else could easily help. However, I will put the link in another post to the runes of the Dragon alphabet if you wish to try your hand at transcribing it yourself. :)

Dezonikso
February 12, 2016
https://www.thuum.org/learn/grammar/alphabet.php here is the link to the runic alphabet. Again, the translation I came to was "Fahdonne neh Gahvon Gut uv Tiid". The capital letters are purely just personal style, though, so if you're going to get the tattoo in English, capitalize as much or as little of it as you wish. :) I hope I helped.
by Dezonikso
February 12, 2016
https://www.thuum.org/learn/grammar/alphabet.php here is the link to the runic alphabet. Again, the translation I came to was "Fahdonne neh Gahvon Gut uv Tiid". The capital letters are purely just personal style, though, so if you're going to get the tattoo in English, capitalize as much or as little of it as you wish. :) I hope I helped.

Frinmulaar
February 12, 2016
Here is Dezonikso's translation in runes:
[fahdonne neh gahvon gut uv tiid]
In my opinion it is well worded.

Also, you could replace "fahdonne" with "fahdonmaar" to mean the relation itself, friendship as an abstract concept. -maar is a canonical suffix.
by Frinmulaar
February 12, 2016
Here is Dezonikso's translation in runes:

[fahdonne neh gahvon gut uv tiid]

In my opinion it is well worded.

Also, you could replace "fahdonne" with "fahdonmaar" to mean the relation itself, friendship as an abstract concept. -maar is a canonical suffix.

paarthurnax
Administrator
February 12, 2016
Alternatively, "Fahdon unslaad" would be "friends/friendships are ceaseless/eternal." You could also say "Fahdonne kron gut ahrk tiid" ("friends/friendships conquer distance/farness and time").
by paarthurnax
February 12, 2016
Alternatively, "Fahdon unslaad" would be "friends/friendships are ceaseless/eternal." You could also say "Fahdonne kron gut ahrk tiid" ("friends/friendships conquer distance/farness and time").

Unctrledkhaos
February 17, 2016

I appreciate all of the feedback. The purpose of the original wording was to emphasize friendships surviving distance and time because I tend to go for months without talking to some of my best friends and when we get back together its like we picked up right where we left off. Friendships that survive a lack of face-to-face time or any real communication but are able to continue unhindered by the distance or time. Its that connection that I wanted to emphasize. I translated the words into runes from the translator,  but it turns out I put in "a" and "h" instead of "ah", still learning. 

by Unctrledkhaos
February 17, 2016

I appreciate all of the feedback. The purpose of the original wording was to emphasize friendships surviving distance and time because I tend to go for months without talking to some of my best friends and when we get back together its like we picked up right where we left off. Friendships that survive a lack of face-to-face time or any real communication but are able to continue unhindered by the distance or time. Its that connection that I wanted to emphasize. I translated the words into runes from the translator,  but it turns out I put in "a" and "h" instead of "ah", still learning. 

Unctrledkhaos
February 17, 2016

I also brought up the idea of getting Odahviing (for myself) and Alduin (for my friend) as additions to our tattoos sort of wrapping around the quote. Myself being the friend, ally, and trusted right-hand to Alduin. 

by Unctrledkhaos
February 17, 2016

I also brought up the idea of getting Odahviing (for myself) and Alduin (for my friend) as additions to our tattoos sort of wrapping around the quote. Myself being the friend, ally, and trusted right-hand to Alduin. 

This thread is more than 6 months old and is no longer open to new posts. If you have a topic you want to discuss, consider starting a new thread. Contact the administrator for assistance if you are the author of this thread.